2002 TDI manual Sedan into 2001 gass auto Wagon

Rnewcomb32

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I currently have a 2002 Jetta Tdi fully functional powertrain through cooling system is non-op from a bit of front end damage. Wanted to move into a Wagon model anyway & I can't find and functioning or non-functioning TDI wagons for less than $3000 or so. Found a gasser with some engine issues for $375 and was thinking about doing the old swapparoo. Newbie to this whole swap thing, but I've got the tools and the time, so here are my questions:

Outside of the two full vehicles is there any known list of things that will be needed...gaskets, o-rings, etc?

Any known compatibility issues on 02' tdi going into 01' chasis?

Anyone have any idea about hours to complete...like a few dozen hours, or like 100+? (My nieve vision is dedicating like 3 long work days to get this done, is that attainable)

Thoughts, encouragement, discouragement?

SparkyWagon

TDI
02 jetta wagon Tdi
I have done the same swap.
Motor in and out is easy, everything bolts right up and plugs right in. Depends if you want to throw a new clutch disk in or single mass setup (what I did). I also did timing belt, water pump, thermostat while it was out just cause it's easier. Power steering and AC lines from TDi donor are easier to put in while motor is out also.

Honestly the hardest part is swapping fuel tanks, which you don't "have" to do. It's just cleaner swap that way. I did it on my buddy's lift after using the gasser tank for a week b4 swapping it.

Also auto to manual takes time to, helped my brother do his. I have done 2 gas to diesel swaps myself.

I'd say if you had every ready it is certainly possible, but don't bet on it lol.

Rnewcomb32

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Yea auto to manual is my #1 concern. I did a new clutch in the TDI a c10-15k miles ago, so I'll probably let that ride for a bit. I'm planning on swapping pretty much everything that ties into a fluid system or the powertrain...because I want it to pass smog in Cali...also probably going to put in a new (to me) turbo while I have the engine out, because mine has gotten a bit whistly.

pudman2003

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Tropical Orange GTD, Lifted Jetta Wagon TDI, MK2 Jetta Coupe GTD
Don't waste your time, Cali won't allow it to be registered.

Vin does not match fuel type.

Even if Cali allowed it, you better get very friendly with VW wiring diagrams.

Not for the faint of heart.

Rnewcomb32

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Question to the cloud mind. Cant find the key to the donor 02' tdi. Which means if I put in the 02' tdi cluster / ECU and leave the Ignition switch it trips the immobilizer. However if I leave the 01' gasser cluster in the immobilizer doesnt trip. Will I be able to get this thing running with the gasser cluster / gasser ignition / tdi ECU? If so, will this cause any drivability issues...or just emissions / registration issues?