AdBlue Spills

reilljp

TDI
2015 Passat
I've been searching for information about AdBlue spills in the Passat. Most of the posts I found are old, so I'm wondering if there is any new information. Do the crystals damage the paint and corrode the metal, or are they nothing to worry about?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
From the internet, DEF info site.
Is Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) corrosive?
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is not toxic, harmful or dangerous. In fact, of all the fluids used in a truck, such as diesel, engine oil, brake fluid, antifreeze and windscreen wash, DEF is the least hazardous. However, DEF is corrosive for some metals such as carbon steel, aluminum, copper and zinc, and DEF should not be stored in containers made of these materials. Your DEF supplier can advise you further. ISO22241 provides a list of materials that are recommended and not recommended, but makes it clear that neither list is exhaustive.

Do I need to wear protective clothing when filling up the DEF tank?
Wearing protective clothing is not necessary when handling DEF, however, Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) can stain clothes. If you do spill any DEF on your clothing, rinse it off with water.

What should I do if a spill DEF?
If you spill a small amount of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), it can be washed away with water or wiped up. If you leave it to dry it will turn into white crystals. These can be washed away with water. If you spill a large

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
There was a significant spill that dried in my spare tire well, probably 1/4” deep with crystals. I put on a respirator, broke them up and scraped the area with a plastic scraper, and vacuumed the mess with my Hepa equipped shop vac. I’m not sure how long the mess had been there, but likely since before the car was bought back in April 2017. I saw no evidence of any deterioration to the painted metal.

reilljp

TDI
2015 Passat
There was a significant spill that dried in my spare tire well, probably 1/4” deep with crystals. I put on a respirator, broke them up and scraped the area with a plastic scraper, and vacuumed the mess with my Hepa equipped shop vac. I’m not sure how long the mess had been there, but likely since before the car was bought back in April 2017. I saw no evidence of any deterioration to the painted metal.

Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Everything painted in the trunk the car isn't going to start smoking and a giant hole where your spare tire well is.

You can either vacuum the crystals or add some water and soak it up.