Moderation

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Let's try to keep it civil in here!

There is nobody in this forum who is right all the time, nor is there anybody in this forum who is wrong all the time. Consider the difference between the following statements:

Statement 1. "This is baloney."

Statement 2. "You only need to consider this if condition X is true, otherwise my experience is that you don't need to worry about it."

Statement 1 could be right, or it could be wrong, but it doesn't contribute anything useful. *Why* is what we are talking about baloney? Please add something useful to the debate without inviting a declaration of war - like Statement 2, which raises the possibility that what we are talking about is baloney, without the "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude.

Rule of thumb when participating in discussions on the internet: If you can't say something positive, don't say anything at all!

I just finished deleting all the flame-inviting and flame-related posts from a certain topic, and then re-opened it. Let's not go down the wrong road again.

'Nuff said - Back to regularly scheduled programming...

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
GoFaster:

Thanks for reminding us about tactfulness, which, in my book, is defined as - "dealing with others in a respectful manner."

JeffT

Veteran Member
GoFaster, you said "Rule of thumb when participating in discussions on the internet: If you can't say something positive, don't say anything at all!"

I hope what you meant was "...say something constructive..." If I was REQUIRED to say something "positive" everything I posted I'd seriously consider quitting the forum. Hopefully you meant to say "constructive" which has a completely diferent meaning?

M

mickey

Hey, JeffT! You are a gentleman and a scholar! I'm a big fan! Yeahhh, Jeff! (See? Positive!)

-mickey

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I agree with Jeff big T---otherwise rename it the Mary Poppins TDI Forum, or Goody Two Shoes TDI discussion. "If you can't say something positive, don't say anything at all" is hooey---constructive criticism is how new ideas are born---how closed minds are sometimes opened---and how a forum works.

------------------

M

mickey

I think GoFaster understands the concept, even if he didn't phrase it perfectly.

-mickey

JeffT

Veteran Member
(Fred Rodgers TDI Forum)

"Well, how are all the boys and girls today? Did ya get your 10,000 mile service today? I knew ya could!

Hey, lets go to the local VW dealer and visit Service Manager Mr. McFeeley! He has some very important questions to ask us about our oil choice. He things we should be using the Syntec oil instead of Delvac 1.

(Song sung to "its such a good feeling):

Its such a good feeling to diesel around!

Its such a happy feeling to hear the TDI sound

And when you wake up ready to say, "I think I'm gonna get 50 MPG today!"

Its such a Fred feeling
A very good feeling
The feeling you know SkyPup's alive!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Don't you guys learn? I'm sure GoFaster means constructive, but what goes on... lets all jump over him for phrasing the concept more than likely incorrectly! I can't speak for GoFaster, but I'm pretty sure we all know what he means. If you don't, read the <font size="+1">Forum FAQ / Guidelines</font>

As GoFaster just finished explaining:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Let's not go down the wrong road again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred

[This message has been edited by VW Derf (edited February 08, 2000).]

M

mickey

Does it bother anyone else that a character on a kid's show is named "McFeely?"

-mickey

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
All this hangs on what you want on your forum doesn't it? If you (like me) are looking for informative discussion and good humour this site is great but personal insults just aren't constructive.

Fred owns the site, and personally I think he judges it just right, sitting out on the side biting his tongue most of the time and only popping out when things get out of hand. I agree that every forum needs its extreme views to keep a balance but
maybe the more colourful members should reflect on why they haven't been locked out permanently

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mickey:
Does it bother anyone else that a character on a kid's show is named "McFeely?"

-mickey
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!