Glow Plug Issue...

chilipepperxxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, Indigo Blue
Recently my check engine light came on in my 2001 VW Golf TDI and I took my car to the dealer to get it checked out. It turns out that apparently the last place I got my car serviced at replaced the glow plug in cylinder #3 with a different glow plug than that of the other 3 cylinders. The service guy at the dealer said that the original plugs are Bosch, and the one that is different is Beru. He said that the Bosch plugs draw 10.5 amps and the Beru plug draws 8.5 amps. This caused the check engine light to come on.
Now, the dealer will charge $180 parts/labor to fix it. My questions are, how difficult is it to replace a glow plug?, How much does the glow plug itself cost?, Where can I get the correct glow plug?, and what exactly is the part name/number of the correct glow plug?

Another curious note...the CEL didn't come on 'til quite awhile after the car was serviced? Why would this be the case?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Your dealer is blowing smoke up your posterior orifice. Go get your car.

Test your glowplugs and see if any are really bad. If needed, order a new one from IMPEX, Danix, or Dieselgeek. $20 max. It could also be a glowplug harness issue. This handy thread tells you how. Glowplug 101 v.2

They remove and install like a spark plug. Remove them with the engine warm. One caveat. Put antisieze on the threads of the new one, and hand thread it until snug to avoid cross-threading. Then torque to 130 in/lbs, or 11 ft/lbs.

chilipepperxxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, Indigo Blue
Well, the dealer did say that having that different plug in there doesn't hurt anything, but the check engine light will stay on. I really would rather have it off, since I won't be able to tell if something else goes wrong that would throw the CEL. As long as it is as easy as you say to replace the glowplugs, I might as well just do it myself. Which glowplugs do you recommend? Should I just replace the "odd" one with a matching Bosch instead of having to replace all the rest?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
In all the times of changing GPs, I have never seen a case where a mix of plugs caused the CEL. Do as paramedick says: Test your glowplugs and see if any are really bad. You will have to have the code cleared after resolving the defective part. Find a helpful person with VAG-COM in your area.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Where is Ballard, WA located in relation to Seattle?

There are a few enthusiasts in WA and OR who could help you with the GP testing and VAG-COM depending on where you are located.

Keli

chilipepperxxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, Indigo Blue
Ballard is basically a "neighborhood" or part of Seattle. I am just going to replace the glowplug myself, but I do need to find someone to help me clear the CEL.

michael.

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K, silver
Keli - who are you referring to...?

Yes there are a few TDI nuts around. It's actually a pretty easy job Chilli - let me know if you are hard pressed for help.

m-

chilipepperxxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, Indigo Blue
Thanks alot for the offer. I just might have to take you up on that if I don't find anybody closer. I'm always driving down to Olympia to visit my family, so it wouldn't be a big deal to meet up with you. I really appreciate your's and everyone else's help.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
the dealer said that the original plugs are Bosch, and the one that is different is Beru. He said that the Bosch plugs draw 10.5 amps and the Beru plug draws 8.5 amps. This caused the check engine light to come on.
Now, the dealer will charge $180 parts/labor to fix it. My questions are, how difficult is it to replace a glow plug?, How much does the glow plug itself cost?, Where can I get the correct glow plug?, and what exactly is the part name/number of the correct glow plug?

Another curious note...the CEL didn't come on 'til quite awhile after the car was serviced? Why would this be the case?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
The TDI Golf, Jetta & NB are built using either the Bosch or Beru Glow plugs. The issue is not to mix them. They should be installed as a set of four (4).
Bosch GP N-101-401-04
Beru GP N-101-401-05

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>If you've ever changed a spark plug, you should be able to change a glow plug.<<

What's a spark plug ???

(20+ years with VW Diesels... can't remember what I drove before...)

Yuri.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
>>If you've ever changed a spark plug, you should be able to change a glow plug.<<

What's a spark plug ???

(20+ years with VW Diesels... can't remember what I drove before...)

Yuri.
My lawn mower has two...Other than one purchase for it last summer, I haven't had to buy spark plugs in a long time.