My Cummins into Ford Swap video log

FordManMT

TDI
2000 Jetta MK4 TDI

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Thank you for sharing. Will be interesting and educational to follow your build.

I like the 7.3L and from the little I know it is reliable. Not as good as the Cummins, I know.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
T
I like the 7.3L and from the little I know it is reliable. Not as good as the Cummins, I know.
both are medium duty OTR truck engines and will last as long as you maintain them. The advantage the 7.3 has is that it isn't wrapped in a dodge truck.

FordManMT

TDI
2000 Jetta MK4 TDI
how many miles were on the 7.3 IDI ?
Around 220k. I either had cylinder 8 fail or possibly a turbo failure after hauling close to 20,000lbs. After mileage was cut in half and turbo would only spool to about 3psi. I was looking for an excuse to put a cummins in it anyways.

FordManMT

TDI
2000 Jetta MK4 TDI
In my opinion the 5.9 cummins is better than the 7.3L IDI for many reasons.

The 7.3 was a bored out 6.9 diesel from the factory, it had a different injection pump and larger head bolts but largely the same. Still mechanically injected. They run very well of bio diesel, including mixutures of Diesel, atf, and waste oil. They had a high compression ratio of I think 21.5:1. They were designed to run N/A but for about a year and a half they came with a turbo to keep up with dodge until the 7.3PSD came out.

The 5.9 being an in-line Engine naturally developes more torque just because of the engine layout. With the P7100 inline injection pump tuning is done by retiming the pump (easy) and changing fuel plates, governed springs ect. A factory engine can easily double its power and run 40psi with no major modifications.

The 6BT was used everywhere, from wood chippers, to boats, medium and light duty trucks, to stationary generators.

Greenskeeper is right though, the cummins is a million mile Engine in a 100k mile truck. Haha.

I should have another update in the next few days or this weekend. Thanks for commenting. More to come