Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
VW's Giuffra: Scope of settlement is only in the US. We will address issues elsewhere differently - from McGee's tweet

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
VW's Emissions Settlement Is a Raw Deal for Its Most Important Customers
Loyal, original owners are getting the short end of the stick.

I agree with linked above. VW is getting off lightly as far as consumers go. In every other transaction like this involving a defective product consumers recover purchase price and all taxes/fees. Why is this case different?
Probably because of the dollar amounts involved: that's the only reason that I could see. If you follow the example in the article, if Apple were to release a faulty product, they would have to buy it back at full retail, i.e. give the customer a full refund, even though the customer had use of the item.

Maybe in this case, they believe that people don't have to sell back the vehicle, and therefore should only be partially compensated. This is just my guess though.

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M Sports Package
A similar buyback for Canada is the ONLY option. If we think that the value of our cars are low now, imagine when hundred of thousands of cars bought back in the USA are fixed by VW and put on the market for resale!

Last edited:

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Throwing this out there: I wonder if Canada's settlement will move faster than the USA's assuming a similar deal is made (on the consumer side).

My logic there is our court system isn't the same (less complex overall) and they aren't dealing with 50+ states, as many lawsuits, less government lawsuits, etc. There are also less vehicles total here and less dealers to train/get ready.

Guess we'll know more Friday.. :)

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Throwing this out there: I wonder if Canada's settlement will move faster than the USA's assuming a similar deal is made (on the consumer side).

My logic there is our court system isn't the same (less complex overall) and they aren't dealing with 50+ states, as many lawsuits, less government lawsuits, etc. There are also less vehicles total here and less dealers to train/get ready.

Guess we'll know more Friday.. :)
I like your optimism :)

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Great deal for VW as opposed to going to jail for fraud, not just a defective product remember they actually deceived the country, the dealer and the buyer and admitted to it so charges should be laid.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Hey, somebody started a related hashtag:

Sk'emqim (@Skemqim)
2016-07-26, 2:13 PM
Cause it's the right thing to do. @VWcanada @VWCanadaTDI #buybackmytdicanada

zxcv1000

TDI
2012 Golf Wagen
On July 29, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice is scheduled to receive an update from Volkswagen and the other parties on the progress of proceedings and discussions about affected 2.0L TDI vehicles in Canada. The Court has ordered the parties to keep the details of the discussions confidential.

Canadian customers do not need to take any action at this time.

I don't like the way that is written. Sound like we won't even find out what's happening.

Source: vwemissions.ca

zxcv1000

TDI
2012 Golf Wagen
I just hope it's what officially going to happen here, whether it's a buyback or just compensation. I will be extremely upset if the update is "talks are going well, we hope to have a deal reached soon." I'm pretty sick of the lack of updates. It's been almost a year and we really haven't heard anything.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
Anything less than buybacks/compensation and I will be sorely disappointed: given we have different systems here compared to the U.S. I would not expect an identical settlement. However, it had better contain some mention of buybacks in combination with compensation.

ProPAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bora TDI GLS Black/Black & 2003 Golf TDI GLS Silver/Black
I'm no lawyer but the lack of news is thanks to them... Not VW's. If the wrong news leaks the other party becomes liable I'm guessing in the court of law.

As a long time diesel owner. I will add that unless your planning to sell your car on a short term cycle. Most purchaser's of a tdi had a long relationship in mind. So just drive the car and when news drops deal with it according to what life is dishing out now. If your like me and we get keep our cars with compensation, bonus. Since my car still has 10 years of life to go with a residual value of almost every other car on the road..... ZERO. I care less if my trade in value now is X or Y.

Taking a loss of vehicle into consideration by means of buy back. Life goes on and I will press my wife for a Golf R or GTI... My commute is both too short for a tdi and I car pool with the Mrs. If/when tdi's go back on sale I would get one for certain, after current choice since terms and deals are easier to get. On long summer road trips nothing beats a TDI... But I keep hearing those 1.4T gassers are pushing greatly mpgs... Decisions decisions.

Last edited:

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I'll be quite disappointed as well if nothing concrete happens in terms of a buyback or compensation. We have 2 TDIs in the house - both used to do quite a bit of commuting, myself close to 200km per day. But those days are behind me, and as much as I've enjoyed VWs (I've only ever driven VWs since my first Golf when I was 17) this scandal has pushed me to move on. I'm replacing my Jetta with an EV next month.

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf tdi wolfsburg and 1986 toyota pickup SASed AHU tdi
When they first announed the buy back I thought that it was said that Canada would be a duplicate of the US?