Please help me out with my glow plug issue...

wborskey

TDI
2k1 VW Jetta
I have a 2k1 Jetta, It has been coding for glowplugs for some time now. I have done the steps in the glowplug 101 and I found out that I have a bad glow plug. I did this before and replaced one, I guess I should have replaced all of them. I did the test for the relay because even after I changed the bad plug and harness and checked the resistance I still got the code. I took the harness off and checked the resistance again and all the plugs were fine. I checked the voltage coming through the harness and it read something like .204 volts. I bought a 50$ glow plug relay and replaced teh old one. I know a relay is either on or off because I have replaced many of them in a kiln I have. But I still only get about .204 volts. I have an automatic transaxle and could not find the temp sensor or the coolant glow plugs but I did wait until about 6 am to test, as I live in Wa and even in the summer its been about 45. I just did it and all I get is .204 volts through the harness. All of the fuses on the battery are good, I even checked all of the 30 amps in the fuse panel--one was burnt out but it didnt help to change it. Now I have another bad glowplug and I am going to replace all of them today, I fear this will not solve the problem because of the extremely low volts going into the harness. Can someone please post a wiring diagram of the glowplug system for me, or offer some advice of what to check next. I beleive I have exhausted the 101 reference. Thanks in advance.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well you need to disconnect the coolant temperature sensor to get any voltage at 45 degrees. With the coolant temperature sensor disconnected the ECU thinks it is very very cold so the glow plugs stay on for 20 seconds.

IIRC the code will not self clear, you either need an AutoZone scan or VagCom to clear the code.

wborskey

TDI
2k1 VW Jetta
Where is the sensor, I could not find it... The picture on the tutorial looks unfamilliar. I cleared the code after the relay and fuse replacement... I should have mentioned that before.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
the auto's don't have the coolant glow plugs, but I think the temp sensor is in the same place. That is, when looking at the motor, look at the right side where the hoses connect, then at the rear of that housing. The sensor points toward the firewall with a electrical connector attached.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
It's a pain in the a** to remove sometimes. At least, I gave up trying to even get it off on mine.