Turbo oil leak

firstjetta2006

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have just purchased a 2006 Jetta 299999 kilometer the car runs and drives excellent the old owner said it will occasionally leak a large amount of oil out of the turbo. The mechanic they took it to said it would need a new one. I do not have much knowledge on turbos but it seems to work just fine and it has not leaked oil although I have only put 30 kilometers on it. Has this happened to anyone else out there. Where would be the best place to purchase one if I need it? Thanks for the input.

wagontdi82

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon GLS
I have just purchased a 2006 Jetta 299999 kilometer the car runs and drives excellent the old owner said it will occasionally leak a large amount of oil out of the turbo. The mechanic they took it to said it would need a new one. I do not have much knowledge on turbos but it seems to work just fine and it has not leaked oil although I have only put 30 kilometers on it. Has this happened to anyone else out there. Where would be the best place to purchase one if I need it? Thanks for the input.
Idparts has new replacement ones, KermaTDI or a local importer of oem parts. although the importer i would not recommend because idparts or kerma includes new bolts and gasket.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
If you are comfortable around safely lifting your car and getting under there you can remove the boost pipe and confirm the impeller play.
There is axial play (up and down) and lateral play. Ti check play touch the impeller with your finger and gently wiggle it. Excessive play is a telltale of a worn turbo.

Remove the lower intercooler hose. Look for oil acumulation. Have a catch can underneath in case there is a large amount of oil. More than a couple of teaspoons of oil could be a symptom of a worn out turbo.

Put back all the hoses you disconnect and make sure theur locking rings are secured otherwise they may come off during driving under boost.

While driving the car confirm there is no "ambulance siren noise" . You may need to roll down all the windows and turn off the radio. A siren noise while in boost could mean a boost leak or a turbo on its way out. However there are some turbos that stay on siren noise for months.

Good luck

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, that's how to check the thing. The oil leak must be tracked down using the drudgery method, clean things underneath, look closely until you find where it's coming from. Generally we see bad turbos injecting oil internally, external leaks are often something else.