How did you get your Secret Key Code (SKC)?

MarkWaddle

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS Black
For those who've installed european gauge clusters in their NA cars... How did you get your Secret Key Code (SKC)? I've asked my dealer and they won't share.

Thanks for your help,
- Mark

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
We all got them before they changed their system. The only way to get one is to find someone who can read the chip on the cluster on on your ECU.

L

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi Mark,

I can read your immo info thru the obd2 connector - either in your cluster or ecu, in your car or on my hot bench.

Jeff

MarkWaddle

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS Black
Thanks Jeff. Even though I am definitely going to be sending my ECU to you for Rocket-chipping in the near future, is there any way I could read it myself here? I would like to install the cluster before I install the boost gauge before I install the chip. Of course I'd like to minimize down-time. I do have Vag-com. Do you have modified or enhanced software that gives more capabilities than mine?
- Mark

TeleDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2004, Reflex Silver
All is not lost. Here are two ways that I can think of the get your 0+4 digit SKC without having to go to a dealer or use GeKo:

1) Find someone with VAGdashCOM software. See this thread.

2) Remove your old cluster and send it to ele28 (or jsrmonster) here on TDIClub.com. One of them can read the 0+4 digit SKC out of the cluster for you via the OBD port. If you do send your old cluster to ele28, have the odometer reset to zero. That will make it much eaiser to sell or reuse as a spare. I've sent ele28 two clusters already. He gave me a discount when I told him I was a tdiclubber. He does good and quick work. One day turn-around via FedEx.

So, if there's-a-will there's-a-way

Don't give up just becasue of GeKo...

T.D.

penclnck

My guess is that GeKo will go down in flames due to a class action lawsuit(s).

I see two legal issues with Geko... first off, I paid for my car and as such I have the right to the 4 digit security code for my car. The 4 digit security code is nothing more than a digital key. I have the physical key that allows me to open the doors and start the car... some one could take that key from me and steal my car. The logic of Geko is no one knows the 4 digit security code so the car is safer. I say the greater risk is with the physical key, so VW should no longer give out physical keys.

The second issue I see is how the laws are writen saying that dealers are not allows to have a monopoly on it's services, the customer has the right to take a car to where ever they want for service (even Wally World where you get a free transmission with an oil change). If you are having an emmisions issue and it is a failed ECM (or at least you suspect as much) and you need to swap out the ECM, then you will be forced to take your car to the dealer for service since ECM swapping means recoding the immobilizer system.

I, for one, noted down my 4 digit security code when I got my car. My wife is talking about a A5 TDI Jetta, not sure how I'll get the code for that since everything is hiden behind "smoke and mirros" (and the "done" button).

Later.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Anyone want to work with me on organizing a legal assault on GEKO?

I'm a good "lead plaintiff" - I bought the car BEFORE it was put in place, I don't have the code, and now I can't GET the code. I also have the hardware and software to USE the code (legally.)

I'm going to see what making some noise around the dealers here accomplishes, if anything. If not, then I'm very interested in seeing if some TDI owners would have an interest in getting GEKO tossed and access to our SKCs restored.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
I got mine by telling them that I had a new key that I wanted to code myself. Cost me $20 to get the SKC but I was just glad to get it. Also before the change in systems though.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Pardon my ignorance.

Is this on the little plastic tab with lottery ruboff on it? This came with the car, and I haven't rubbed off the junk yet.

penclnck

The "scratch and win your PIN number" deal was short lived and long gone. I think by mid 2001 they weren't giving the PIN number out any more. There were "scratch and win" patches, but they weren't PIN numbers, not surewhat the were... maybe the key cut pattern?