VW Door Sills and Spoilers!

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
Do you replace the entire shifter or is it just the knob and boot.

gerwazy

Vendor
TDI
Passat B5.5
Got a rear bumper protector for a NMS Passat?
I doubt the rear bumper is the same as European so I am going to say no. As this is a european company they have stuff for euro spec cars, turns out even Jetta VI has a different bumper here then in Europe...

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
First off, I have one of these rear bumper protectors for my wife's Jetta as well as a 6 speed S3 shifter for my Golf. Can't say enough good things about the products or the seller.

Secondly, and most importantly, I now have a rear bumper protector for my MKIV Golf as well! Yes, the Euro bumper protector fits perfectly. Here are some pictures with it laid onto my bumper (not yet installed) right out of the box with no trimming, bending, or modifying in any way.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
Just as a side note: I shouldn't imply that Jack is going to carry these for the MKIV Golf, but I sure hope he decides to.

gerwazy

Vendor
TDI
Passat B5.5
Just as a side note: I shouldn't imply that Jack is going to carry these for the MKIV Golf, but I sure hope he decides to.
Thanks for the pics and for being the guinea pig!!! That is awesome news as quite a few people wanted it for their MKIV Golfs but we were sure the bumpers are different. Before you throw out the plastic it came in, could you please PM me the number off the label.
Thanks!

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Secondly, and most importantly, I now have a rear bumper protector for my MKIV Golf as well! Yes, the Euro bumper protector fits perfectly. Here are some pictures with it laid onto my bumper (not yet installed) right out of the box with no trimming, bending, or modifying in any way.
This was not my experience, unfortunately, and the same was the case for hskrdu on this forum. :confused: This is for model RBP233 for MK4 Golf, which I believe is the only mold they carry. I'm not sure how arne487 got it to work, but my test fit was slightly off, and looked more like this:

If you hold the curvature on the lip flush with the curve of the bumper, I just couldn't get the part under the hood lid to be flush. You can jam that front part back to make it work, but then the lip rises slightly b/c it isn't actually flush with the curve of the bumper. Arne487, are you sure you are pushing it as flush as possible? If you look at this picture, you will notice that the lip extends further down the bumper on a euro bumper than in your pic, which makes me wonder . . . Anyway, I kept mine with the intention of either heatmolding it to work, or just putting it on as is, or even cutting the lip off. I'm very curious to hear more.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
I see what you're saying. The edge of the cover touches at the curve, but the underside isn't in contact. If you push the middle down firmly (as it would be when taped down) one of the two corners has to pop out like that. However, a single strip of foam/plastic/wood between the pre-installed tape and the bumper (attached with more double sided tape) would make it fit just fine. That might add a dollar or two to the install, but I don't see it being an issue with functionality. I'll play around with some materials I have laying around and see exactly what it would take to make it fit well and be just as sturdy.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Right, thanks for the clarification, Arne. I think you're right that it can work (which is why I kept mine), but this is why people have been saying it isn't actually an exact fit. I feel like adding layers underneath is not optimal as it can potentially collect debris under there and eventually also come loose. Curious to hear what creative solution you come up with! Keep me posted. I really want to make it work but just haven't figured out the best strategy. Meanwhile it sits in the garage.

And how on earth are you getting 52 avg mpg. Jealous.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
After thinking about it for a while, I decided that I'm going to try slowly building up the underside with Gorilla tape. It's compressible yet firm, sturdy, waterproof, cheap, and easy to shape and work with.

Just a note of caution to everyone: The corners of the Golf cover are very fragile. There's a score on each end from the factory and it's easy to crack the cover along that score if you're test fitting it over and over. I learned the hard way and will be epoxying mine back together. :eek:

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi arne, which corner are you referring to? The part that wedges under the tail light? That's a bummer.

My thought is that I'm going to try to force fit the thing. I am going to lay down some 3m paint protection first, so as not to damage my bumper cover (you might want to do the same if you will use Gorilla tape). Then I'm going to try and push it in place and hope that the double-sided tape on the RGM can hold it in an acceptable position (i'm told it is very strong?). The lip seems to bend a little and might give enough to allow the cover to be pushed back in the right position while fitting.

I was tempted to try and heat mold the lip curve just a little bit more open, but I think there is too much of a chance to fudge it up that way. Let me know how it goes.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
It took 1.5 rolls of Gorilla Tape (basically a more waterproof and stickier duct tape), but I carefully made layers on the underside of the cover and now it fits perfectly. I can put as much weight onto it as I want anywhere on it and it doesn't move. I'll take a picture this weekend. I just need to source some 3M automotive tape to attach it to the bumper and it will work great.

As for the cracked corner, I did crack it on the part that slides under the tail light. I wasn't being careful enough, but I also noticed that the gap between the bumper and tail light is much smaller on that side of my car. I think this contributed to what happened. Either way, I epoxied it from the back, ground off the extra epoxy and it looks and fits just fine again.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I see you offer the rear bumper protectors for the sportwagon mkv jetta but how about the mkv jetta sedan?

I just had the entire back of the car repainted and want to protect it!

gerwazy

Vendor
TDI
Passat B5.5
I see you offer the rear bumper protectors for the sportwagon mkv jetta but how about the mkv jetta sedan?

I just had the entire back of the car repainted and want to protect it!
Nothing in stock at the moment but I can get it for you as a special order...

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
So whats the outcome of the mk4 rear bumper protector on a non euro bumper? Does it fit or not fit? If it fits without a whole role of Gorilla tape I want one? Thanks

gerwazy

Vendor
TDI
Passat B5.5
So whats the outcome of the mk4 rear bumper protector on a non euro bumper? Does it fit or not fit? If it fits without a whole role of Gorilla tape I want one? Thanks
I think the outcome is that it will need that gorrila tape to make it work... They are all $110 delivered and I will be placing the order soon with the manufacturer so the sooner you decide the better if you want to get it within a month...
Thanks

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
You don't have to use Gorilla tape, but you do have to build up the underside a bit with something that will support it. It's not hard, just takes a little time. To give you an idea, here's how much I had to add to mine to make it fit perfectly. Note that it takes very little on the ends, and much more in the center (since that's where the biggest gap is). You also need double sided automotive tape to apply it, since the tape that comes pre-attached to the bumper cannot be removed and reused.