To those who've tuned, how much do your times improve

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Just to say, I have friends with tunes on their VW's with over 100's of thousands of miles of trouble free service.
Im definitely saving for all this tuning stuff.I guess Ill have to go to the Tex to talk about the rest though.
The exhuast sounds excellent!!

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
What were the prices for your addons?
Downpipe, Chip, etc?
Meh... they cost some money... not too worried about it. Tinkering with the car is how I deal with work stress. The other thing is, I drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off, and can't be put back on, so whatever modifications I make are to increase my enjoyment of the vehicle over the next decade or so.

Videos:
This is the Midday Mildness cruise: http://vimeo.com/24670217. It was coming home from this that my CV let go. BTW, new one shipped today so I'll have it in by the middle of next week.

Also, I did a video from a while ago of my exhaust sound: http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v1/yW/r/reIZTdNTHIS.swf?v=1435402184758&ev=0. You've probably seen it before, but if not, there you go.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
With an investment TDIs can be quick, but not really quick. I don't care about acceleration times, but I've gotten significantly better lap times at road courses with my wagon than a stock GTI (09, 2.0T). The GTI would pull away from me (slowly) on straights, but I had him beat on corners.

Doing that well is not cheap. But it is fun. And you still get 45 MPG.

Finmad

TDI
2011 VW JSW
2011 1/4 times

Just took mine to the track for a base line prior to upgrades. it is 2011 JSW TDi with DSG, here is the best run

R/T .302
60" 2.569
1/8th 10.953
1000' 14.235
1/4 16.995
MPH 81.78

Speed Devil

TDI
None yet, trying to get one in the family though
Not bad man, what's it w/upgrades?

The vids don't seem to work toe, maybe its my phone though, I'll recheck it out on my pc

Nice Indy Blue, that's all I was looking for man

A8540TDI

TDI
Golf Mk VI TDI, 335d
Speed Devil, you should try the 335d, bone stock it runs the 1/4 mile in 14 @ 100 mph and there are tuners that can very significantly improve on that.
Also, as a rear driver, it works well for track days - if you want to put your DD through the stress. I got to drive an M3 the other day and, in normal street driving, the 335d feels stronger! However when you cane the 4 liter V8 in the M3 and rev it to 7k rpm, it will whip the 335d, albiet, using twice as much fuel!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Being on the track it's all fun with my Golf, you really pull away from GTIs, BMW's and a bunch of cars, that torque comes quick in a TDI, great track car, but sucks on drag, can't hook up wheels,, too much torque,,, you should see the faces of drivers driving gas cars when they realize how fast you corner and pull away from them.

Last edited:

Speed Devil

TDI
None yet, trying to get one in the family though
335d doesn't come in stick, otherwise Ii woulda considered it man

Yeah, figure this is a track warrior, unless drag racing bonestock civics and gti's once tuned is your thing

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
Just took mine to the track for a base line prior to upgrades. it is 2011 JSW TDi with DSG, here is the best run

R/T .302
60" 2.569
1/8th 10.953
1000' 14.235
1/4 16.995
MPH 81.78
Thanks for posting your baseline times. I always take my new cars to the drag strip and make a couple of passes to just see what they'll do in stock form. I end up modding them anyway. I gotta take my little Golf to the strip and see what it'll do bone stock.

Finmad

TDI
2011 VW JSW
I have an appointment with the dyno tomorrow at lunch. I will post the results so everyone has a 2011 JSW TDI DSG base line.

I will then be upgrading the DSG with an HPA tune followed by Malone Stage 2, Down pipe and full exhaust. I would like to do a dyno at each stage so we can get some clear idea of the benifits of each.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Dynojets are like that. But what I like is how flat the power curve is on stock cars. I'd think twice before giving that up.

TDI
2009 Jetta sedan
Here's some numbers for you, these were taken from a bully dog, watchdog on my 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (I know this is for MK5, but all cr140 should be similar). First set was stock, second set was Malone 2.0 tune and dsg tune, no exhaust changes. Also, please note first was at 75 degrees, second was at 98 degrees, according to dash temp. Will try again with closer temps. Only other changes in between were ss brake lines, and a 27 mm rear sway, both of which would add weight. This includes my 330lb carcass behind the wheel, plus my my normal cargo (maybe 100 lbs more, hitch) :

60 ft before 2.8 secs after 2.2 secs
0-60mph before 9.2 secs after 7.9 secs
1/8 mile before 10.9 secs / 65 mph after 10.2 secs / 65 mph, no clue why the mph is same
1/4 mile before 16.8 secs / 82 mph after 15.9 secs / 84 mph

FYI, I ran it up to 109 mph (per GPS) and it was still pulling strong. Just not enough road for my comfort level. Later this was pushed up to 124 mph per the same GPS.
Rawtek coming soon for maybe better numbers.

Last edited:

alludc

TDI
2011 2dr DSG
I REALLY wish I would have tested 0-60 before I did stg I APR tune.
Im a 2011 2dr DSG TDI and I made a few runs tonight (tuned yesterday). I also have a DIY ( POS ) open cone intake.
As measured by Torque (android app), and on passengers stopwatch. 7.44(torque) and 7.6(stopwatch). Backed that up with a 7.52(torque) and 7.5(stopwatch)

It certainly feels tons better post tune. Its strugglin for grip all of 1st gear til it shifts into 2nd. Im always leery of apps as far as 0-60 goes, but with the stopwatch backup I feel confident that all runs were sub 8 seconds. Im ok with this.

alludc

TDI
2011 2dr DSG
ran back out and set to stock tune for a couple more 0-60 runs. Torque Pro recorded a 9.07 and a 9.13 time. Compared to the 7.44 and 7.52 on APR I.

Im pretty impressed. I am not liking the occasional hard shifts in S tho. Gotta call out APR on that

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
For the money you'd you spend on a TDI + mods you could just buy an R, which would be faster and that's BEFORE mods.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I get to work 1 minute earlier. I'm thinking I should have skipped the tune. Actually, I did skip the tune. Thank goodness I don't get to work any earlier! :cool:

To me this thread is ridiculous. Why didn't you just get the GTI?

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
I get to work 1 minute earlier. I'm thinking I should have skipped the tune. Actually, I did skip the tune. Thank goodness I don't get to work any earlier! :cool:

To me this thread is ridiculous. Why didn't you just get the GTI?
Because tuned, the TDI gives you 85% of the performance of a GTI, yet the ability to get 50mpg.

I personally wanted something fun that gets good mileage. If I want performance, I have a 600awhp S4 to go fast in.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
85% performance of a gti?...my stage 2 malone jetta has upset a couple stock mk5...mk6 gtis pretty easily.

and for the guy who thinks the thought of modding a tdi is ridiculous i guess doesnt realize tuning a diesel is nothing like a gas counter part.

Not only is my jetta faster then a stock gti, it can tow, and its also the mpg record holder for highest tank mpg in a common rail powered car (excluding passat)....yes thats right, dynoed at 194.2hp and capable of 60.1mpg (us) ....yah your right what a stupid idea

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^That sounds great! My car is already fast enough for me, so I guess that's why it seems ridiculous to me. I'm also just hoping it doesn't break and leave me stranded or cost me a fortune to repair. It's just different priorities I suppose.

Good luck with your fast and very fuel-efficient TDI!

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Some of us tune our TDIs for the same reason that guys out there will modify a Mustang GT500 or Porsche GT3, or in my case an Evo IX or BMW M3... to make something great all the much better. Plus, when I do get my TDI ready for the track, there's something satisfying about watching some guy's face change colors when he realized he just got lapped by a diesel...

Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't knock it. ;)

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Now in todays world we are up to Stage 4 and 300+hp. Don't you just love the TDI Club "we don't do that here" attitude?! One person speaks for all it seems lol
Ohh btw my stage 2 has always kept up with GTI's and will actually out pull the MK7's

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Just got new brakes and rotors, new shocks and struts, and new tires at 148K miles. The car feels like new, or maybe even a bit better! I also have the upgraded CP3 HPFP now. One of these days, I might try a tune. It won't be for speed. As I said before, my car is fast enough for me. I'd just like to get rid of the regens and all of those expensive parts that will go away with the change.