Wiring harness exposed under car

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
During my oil change I noticed that the gravel roads have not only chewed up the belly pan but a wiring harness too.

It's right by the exhaust tunnel brace.

Any advice as to what wire is chewed up would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
You need to repair that and think about getting a car that sits much higher. I took our TDi on plenty of dirt roads and forest service roads, and not once did I scrape the belly pan.

Donald

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Is it possible that a rodent chewed the sheathing on the wire bundle?

Had not considered that... but there's a very good chance! I live on a farm and one time actually found a dead mouse lodged in between the control arm and brake caliper when I swapped tires.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
I think that may be the wiring for the last O2 sensor. It's kind of exposed since it leaves the underbody cladding and heads towards the exhaust pipe.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I think we have a winner... that lines up perfectly with the new codes that recently came up.

-- P0136: Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
-- P2271: O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor 2

Thanks for the help!!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I had read that Dub wires have Soy in the insulation which makes them tasty to rodents.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
So what makes your TDI so special? :rolleyes:
The driver........I can read the terrain before I cross it. It comes from 20+ years of offroading, dirtbiking, etc. My point is....if you are dragging the bottom of your car, you need a car that sits higher.

Donald

PS My wife put 90% of the miles on the car. She also drove on the same dirt roads as I did.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
The driver........I can read the terrain before I cross it. It comes from 20+ years of offroading, dirtbiking, etc. My point is....if you are dragging the bottom of your car, you need a car that sits higher.

Donald

PS My wife put 90% of the miles on the car. She also drove on the same dirt roads as I did.
I'm not sure the other guys saw - or didn't see the flapper valve that's covered with dirt. That wire hangs about as low as it gets and that point went smack!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Donald
Super! And I bet I could get better mileage if I didn't drive so fast!

At the end of the day you've contributed nothing to the discussion. Asked no questions nor offered any solutions to the issue at hand.

Carry on elsewhere.

Last edited:

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I had read that Dub wires have Soy in the insulation which makes them tasty to rodents.
Hey, I've read that somewhere as well. Thanks for the reminder! I'll be sure to cover the loom with something appropriate and tuck it out of the way more securely.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I'm not sure the other guys saw - or didn't see the flapper valve that's covered with dirt. That wire hangs about as low as it gets and that point went smack!
Actually I missed that! Where is the flapper valve and what is it's purpose?

I'm just learning this chassis, so bear with me as I navigate the steep part of the curve.