Rear Brake Pads

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
Ok, Let's just start off by assuming I'm a dummy.

I need to replace the rear brake pads on my 98 Jetta. I have the parts (ordered them from vwparts.com), but would like to get an overview of the procedure. I've never actually done rear brakes before.

I found some procedures online but I'm not sure they're applicable. The one set of procedures with a picture did not look like what I have on my Jetta. Do 98 Jettas have disk or drum brakes on the back?

Thanks.

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
Ok, I did some digging after posting my question and found this: http://friedel.yi.org/brake_pics/tdi_rear_brakes.html

Based on what I've read 98 Jetta's had drum brakes which would mean the link above would apply, but I thought my rear brake setup looked different than this.

Our friends in WI also changed the rotors when doing the rear brake pads. Is that something I should do, as well?

What additional bits and pieces would I need to repack the rear wheel bearings while I've got the thing apart and what is that blue goop they put on the back of the new brake pads?

M

mickey

You don't know whether you've got discs or drums in the rear?

-mickey

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
First off replace the drums and the bearings and seals. From previous experience with these I got passed on the highway by one of my rear tires in my old Golf! The bearings are usually good for one brake change. They are not very expensive and good instructions are in the Bentley manual.

By doing this it makes the reapir much easier the reason is all new parts go on and they all lign up and fit perfect. Second replace the brake fluid (DOT 4 only).

If your really scared then pay a local shop to do them for you they don't take any longer than 1/2 hour per side if done correctly.

Also because of the linkages inside I suggest not doing it your self unless you are pretty mechaniclly inclined Drums can be tricky compared to disk.

DB

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
Yeah, mickey, I already said I was dummy. Also, I haven't had the wheels off in a long time and don't remember what it looked like there.

Some of us aren't the TDI god that you are, what with blowing up your turbo and then rebuilding the engine from scratch.

[This message has been edited by Beowulf (edited January 24, 2001).]

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
Beowulf, if your friends in Wisconsin changed their rotors when they did their brakes then there is a good chance that it had disks.
When you ordered your parts, did you receive brake pads or brake shoes? Pads are flat with the friction material on one flat side and the shoes are almost "half-moon" shaped with friction material on the outer side of the arc.

Please understand that I am not trying to give you a hard time but you might want to pay someone to do your brakes so that you can watch them for the first time. You can learn a lot just by watching. Whatever you do I wish you good luck with it. Keep us posted.....

------------------
99.5 MK4 Golf GL TDI
=o) Happy Golfing

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
The parts I received from vwparts.com were brake pads, if I remember correctly. I'll go take a look at them again this evening and while I'm at it, pull one of the tires off to have a look there, too.

I'm doing it myself because I don't have the dough on hand to pay for labor (yes, funds really are that tight right now) and the brakes need to be done soon.

osidak

Veteran Member
TDI
'17 BRZ Limited PP
Beowulf,
I don't know how far charlotte nc is from lovettsville VA is but if you feel like taking a drive down to my house I will be happy to show you how to do your brakes and what ever else you may want to learn.

osidak

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
Hey thanks for the offer. That is quite generous of you.

Sadly, Lovettsville is on the opposite side of the state to NC.
Lovettsville is about 10 miles from that little point in VA where WV, MD, and VA all come together.

I took one of the rear wheels off last night. There wasn't a caliper there and the brake pads are hidden behind a metal disk. So, tomo366 above was right that I've got drum brakes. I should be able to muddle through, assuming vwparts.com sent me the right part. I'm going to try to confirm that tonight.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Drum brakes are kinda tricky because of lots of springs, clips and little bits. If you do it put the back of the car in the air and remove both wheels and brake drums. Then take apart ONE SIDE AT A TIME so you have an assembled version to look at when you get confused about how it goes together. You WILL get confused, count on it. I don't agree about replacing the wheel bearings unless the car has 200k on it. Assumming the bearings were greased and torqued properly, they should last a long, long time because they don't do much back there (not much weight on them). The races are pressed into the drum and you have to replace the races to replace the bearings which will be kinda expensive unless you know somebody who will press them in free. To test the bearings, when you first put the car in the air, place an ear on the greasecap and spin the wheel. If you don't hear a faint "squeak,squeak" the bearings are fine. If you have'nt bled the brakes in a couple years, it's a good idea. Dot 4 fluid is the way to go. My favorite is Castrol LMA. Buy a little hose with a check valve that fits over the bleeder and you can bleed the brakes by yourself.

ANTARTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta Silver/Grey
Beowulf,

Its been years since I had a vehicle with drum brakes to replace.

Unless the inner workings have changed significantly, you might want to go to an auto parts store and get a "brake spoon" (like a 2-pronged, curved fork) to help you out. It will help you take care of the spring that holds the pads.

------------------
ANTARTI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL Silver Arrow/Grey Studio
Evry's Fueling Mod