TDI Heater cost in Southern Ontario

J-Bird

TDI
'98 NB
A question for people in Southern Ontario that have the TDI Heater....

What is the total - bottom line cost of getting the TDI Heater delivered to Southern Ontario? I know it is $110 US the heater itself and shipping. Are there brokerage charges? Is GST applied? Any other levies to get it over the border?

Could someone please tell me what the total final cost was in Cdn$?

Thx...DJ

canbluegolf

Veteran Member
You can also DIY by getting the ZeroStart heater from Canadian Tire for around $50 and $22 for the hoses.
The only thing you have to do is make up a bracket.

Steve

MWM

Veteran Member
TDI
Variant, 2003, Reflex Silver
At least where I live, the price of the Zerostart heater is closer to $70 from Canadian Tire. Find the installation description and pictures from Snowman using the search function. It will be helpful whichever route you go. Also, someone above mentioned having to fashion a braket, but the pieces that came with the ZeroStart were enough for me.

Details of my experience can be found here.

J-Bird

TDI
'98 NB
I'm just interested in the cost of the thing. I've had nothing but bad experiences bringing stuff over the border and getting wacked with extra fees. In my last episode, wall-paper border ended costing me almost $100 a roll by the time I got it in my hands. ***! /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif

I guess it is not really needed here in Cambrdge, it's more of a luxury. My wife's Ford gets plugged in during the coldest nights and she gloats about how nice and warm it is right from the start. With my early morning starts I end up trembling in my car for 5-10 minutes(dress pants are as good as no pants as far as insulation value is concerned). /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

There must be some around that has bought this thing on Ontario??? Let's hear some stories.......any surprise costs?

20002DieselFreak

TDI
Jetta, 2002, Reflex Silver
I have not used a heater as I have no where to plug the car in. In Waterloo last year we had a few nights where the temperature had hit the minus 20s, and the car started up no problem, did let the glow plugs cycle twice though, and then just let the car slowly increase RPM and idle for a minute before gingerly heading towards to the highway.

That is why I got the cold weather package, HEATED SEATS.

The Jetta is quite able to be a nice warm car in the winter, so long as you are driving, It is kinda funny to see the temperature gauage go down while waiting at a light....

squeeze_cheese

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, SOLD
My TDI Heater just arrived at the office 5 minutes ago. Had to give "the Man" $25 in PST, GST, and handling fees.

Hope this helps.

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI
If it's coming across the border the best shipping way is US Postal Service. Any other method will get a big handling fee. UPS is the worst. $30 for a package at the least /images/graemlins/mad.gif

canbluegolf

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
MWM said:
Also, someone above mentioned having to fashion a braket, but the pieces that came with the ZeroStart were enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the year of the car, some don't have the hole in the battery tray.
I also found the two brackets that came with the heater a little weak (but will work).

Steve