Stereo Install

SergeK89

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Hey guys, I'm new on the forums and just had a basic question of sorts. I've seen threads of people replacing their radio's for the optional OEM navigation one and so forth but I was more looking into the realms of aftermarket. I've done a lot of cars before when I was an installer for Circuit City while they were open and just recall having a bunch of issues when I did like a 02 Jetta.

So basically here's my question, I have a 2006 Jetta TDI that I just picked up, 69k miles, 5 speed. I wanted to get a double din navigation just because that's what I got used to with my last car and still learning the area I live in and so it's just convenient. Pretty much, am I going to be entering a world of hurt in replacing the OE radio with an aftermarket? I know VW have a crap-load of electrical gremlins and just don't want to provoke any of them to start poking their heads for a luxury that isn't exactly a necessity.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have a Pioneer Avic F700BT in my Jetta, love it. No issues. But mine is an 01. I'd suggest getting an OEM nav unit. They look top notch and should give zero issues.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
The biggest mistake that installers do is use the K-line (communication line) as their 12V switched power source. That single action will be the beginning of many mystifying gremlins. To do the job right, run a seperate 12V switched ignition power wire to the aftermarket radio, get a good wiring diagram, and you should be fine.

-Rich

Last edited:

drrck

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS MKIV
The biggest mistake that installers do is use the K-line (communitation line) as their 12V switched power source. That single action will be the beginning of many mystifying gremlins. To do the job right, run a seperate 12V switched ignition power wire to the aftermarket radio, get a good wiring diagram, and you should be fine.

-Rich
Rich is right, I installed a single DIN aftermarket unit and had no problems at all. You need to run a switched power supply separate and you should be fine.

SergeK89

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Thanks guys, but it seems not many have info for 06+ ones, I know they changed body styles and such, maybe the wiring and stuff has changed? I was looking into the OEM one and as much as I like the OEM look and function, but the cost is the thing that kills me. I have been able to get great deals on Eclipse and Kenwood double DIN navigations for like 200-500 for a really nice one. I have seen a bit about the 12v constant and so I figured I would just run into a accessory 12v. Unless the 06 one has a iPod hookup, then I might be okay with that.