2003 Jetta TDI died on side of road! P0252 code! Help a girl out! :)

silverdog91

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Any advice is greatly appreciated! I have a 2003 Jetta TDI 5-speed 160,000 miles.
It all began when I was on my lunch break the other day. I pulled out of our parking lot and it had no power, but then it seemed to run normal. It drove normal on the way back to work. When I went to leave work in the evening my car wouldn't start and cranked over for about 5 seconds before starting. It lacked power again, but I was able to drive about a 1/4 mile before it lost power completely. When I looked in the rear view mirror there was a huge cloud of white smoke.
I tried to start it and it cranked over faster than normal and would not start.
Long story short it was towed home and I need help diagnosing the problem!
When I scanned it I got the p0252 code. There is fuel going to the fuel pump, but not coming out. Still won't start and cranks over fast. Timing belt is still in place. The car hasn't wanted to start first thing in the morning for about a month. Usually cranks over several times before starting.
I'm not sure what to look for and do not know how to fix this.... help!!! Thank you in advance :)

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
white/greyish smoke is a sign of lack of fuel. When you say no fuel comes out the IP either the belt is broken/teeth stripped or the IP has failed.
I would remove the timing belt covers and make the belt is in tact and teeth arent stripped off. if the belt is fine, check timing of the engine. Do all the marks and pins line up?

Lostyankee

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9L Golf, 2015 Sportwagen, 1979 300 SD
That code is for injection pump metering control A range.
First I'd check off all the basic gremlins. Heck, I once changed out an IP just to find a per filter that would collapse after a few miles! So verify fuel, filter & find someone with a VagCom on their laptop & properly scan the beast.
Cranking over fast is a sign of low compression. How many miles do you have on that timing belt? Hate to be the guy with bad news, but you may have crashed a few valves & need major engine work. VagCom will tell you if timing has changed. This site has / had a VagCom search engine ... find someone near you to scan your computer. If scan for timing is ok, scan for injector fuel balance. If your handy with a wrench, you can loosen the injection fuel lines, cover then with rags to catch the spray (warning: injection of high pressure fuel into fingers leads to amputation) & crank over the engine. If fuel soaks the rags, pump is pumping but maybe not correctly. In Wisconsin, I can get a good used manual IP pump for $750 installed. An automagic IP is larger but will fit ... heavy footed folk love them. You just have to tweak the computer a bit ... VagCom again. I believe I had a bout of white smoke / loss of power when I lost vacuum to the turbo ... do a search.
So do the Sherlock Holmes thing & prove what you can & the rest is the bugger.
Good luck & keep posting results.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
White smoke can also mean a turbo gone south. I've had a couple go and got the same indicators. Hopefully since you didn't get a runaway, your turbo may be ok. Hopefully yours is an IP problem. The fast cranking is a bad sign. Sounds like a lack of compression as the previous posters say. Have someone familiar and competent with TDIs inspect the timing belt tension and teeth first off. Don't even try to start it until those items are verified.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Smoke indicates its getting fuel, usually. How long since the fuel filter has been changed?
Cranking faster than normal isn't a good sign.
Timing belt "intact" doesn't mean much. Check tension (it should be real tight, not much deflection when you push on it) and make sure it hasn't stripped the "teeth" off the belt down around the crankshaft sprocket (down where its tough to see). Probably best not to keep cranking it until you know the TB passes inspection. What is the TB change history?