Real World MPG with DSG

fortunateson

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI DSG
Dsg mpg

I have a 2012 Passat SEL with 17K on it now, and I've been averaging 40-41 combined. I do probably 70% highway driving. In the city I get low 30's, and on the highway mid 40's. On a trip to WVU I averaged 46 mpg - 400 miles round trip.

fortunateson

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI DSG
I average 40-41 mpg with each tankful. I have 17K on my 2012 w/DSG and I like the trans. I don't think you lose much mileage over the manual.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I average 40-41 mpg with each tankful. I have 17K on my 2012 w/DSG and I like the trans. I don't think you lose much mileage over the manual.
I didn't like the DSG on the Golfs and the Jettas. It felt harsh and jerky. On the Passat, maybe because it's a bigger car (?), feels much smoother. I am glad I went with DSG because honestly, I couldn't see shifting all the time in this car.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^+1: 09 JSW: Sharper, faster (?) shifts, the occasional bump. For me, a nice, sporty feel...always connected. 2012 Passat: imperceptible shifting, even under load. Yes, it feels connected, but much less so. Not nearly as isolated as a torque-convertor slushbox, though.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Just drove from Franklin, TN to Strawberry Plains (basically Nashville to Knoxville), over the monutain and got 51.5. On my return trip got 51.3. Still maintained 50.0 overall mpg with driving around in Knoxville. Now have 18,200 miles in 10 months. Milage keeps getting better!
That's how you drive! You get it done!

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
With the heat in the 100's and at 75, Texas speed limit on interstate, I get about the same or high 30's.
Yeah, people on these boards reporting 45s and 50s ... not sure how they are doing it. I guess they all drive at 50 mph and without AC on. Neither of which can be done on Texas roadways ... at least not safely.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yeah, people on these boards reporting 45s and 50s ... not sure how they are doing it. I guess they all drive at 50 mph and without AC on. Neither of which can be done on Texas roadways ... at least not safely.
Sure it can. Only limited roads really allow 80 mph anyway and you don't have to do the full speed limit. Learn to slow down and drive steady. Get over in the right lane. If you are passing people you are going too fast. I drove Austin -> San Antonio -> Ft. Stockton and return in the right lane and had no problems.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I have hit 44mpg at 70 when the temp is not high 90's to 100's. Also noticed that cross winds can drop off a couple mpg due to the large cross section the Passat presents.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Sure it can. Only limited roads really allow 80 mph anyway and you don't have to do the full speed limit. Learn to slow down and drive steady. Get over in the right lane. If you are passing people you are going too fast. I drove Austin -> San Antonio -> Ft. Stockton and return in the right lane and had no problems.
It really is a mind set. Easy does it. Try to time your decelerations to avoid/minimize braking as well. It's a neat personal challenge.

Btw, I flogged mine pretty heavily the first two tanks, following aggressive break-in. I've eased that back significantly on my third tank and am at 48.7 mpg (indicated) at just over 500 miles into the tank.

These cars are so awesome. They just blow away EPA numbers if you can get 'em stretched out on the highway and drive sensibly.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
A/C barely has any penalty (depending on ambient temp and setpoint)... maybe 1-2 MPG. Windows down has a very serious penalty... closer to 4 MPG.

55 MPH = 60 MPG
60 MPH = 55 MPG
65 MPH = 50 MPG
70 MPH = 45 MPG
75 MPH = 40 MPG

These are rough estimates for a Passat with a DSG. Your mileage may vary based on head wind, direction of travel, tire pressure, phase of the moon, etc. Manual transmission will shift these figures up (MPG and speed).

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks right, Lawson, and agree with your A/C assessment. I've done some experimenting with A/C on and off under otherwise identical variables and having the climatronic pumping A/C has had little significance to mileage.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I was actually kind of joking ...

... but honestly, I commute from North Houston to Huntsville for work (hence why I got a diesel). It's a good 53 miles one way (106 RT) daily and I'd be RUN THE HECK OVER doing 50 mph on the stretch of I-45. Even in the slow lane.

The speed limit is 65 and in some parts 75. I am all for driving at or below the speed limit, but sometimes doing so is a road hazard to one's self and others. Sometimes you have to drive faster to basically make sure you're not rear-ended or holding up traffic for miles behind you.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I have hit 44mpg at 70 when the temp is not high 90's to 100's. Also noticed that cross winds can drop off a couple mpg due to the large cross section the Passat presents.
I'm not counting the trip computer in the car—even I sometimes see 60, 70, 80 mpg and beyond; some really wild number that I simply don't believe.

I am talking about actual calculated mileage using Fuelly.com or even a spreadsheet.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was actually kind of joking ...
... but honestly, I commute from North Houston to Huntsville for work (hence why I got a diesel). It's a good 53 miles one way (106 RT) daily and I'd be RUN THE HECK OVER doing 50 mph on the stretch of I-45. Even in the slow lane.
The speed limit is 65 and in some parts 75. I am all for driving at or below the speed limit, but sometimes doing so is a road hazard to one's self and others. Sometimes you have to drive faster to basically make sure you're not rear-ended or holding up traffic for miles behind you.
That's what all the lead foots say. :p

Seriously, I was driving 60 in a 65 for about 150 miles yesterday, politely in the right lane. If they don't like it they can go around. Or they can suck it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It isn't always so much as slowing down to some set speed. Kind of what blue hit at above. More like slowing down to a speed where you are going reasonably fast and not hindering traffic. If you are not passing or being passed you should be just right. If you can make this happen over large distances it is very economical. A much more comfortable ride as well.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That's what I did today on my run from Charlotte to Greenville airport. Set my cruise at 67 in the 65 zones and just kept to the right lane except for passing the big rigs and those times were apaced out enough that I did not have to give it more fuel to get around them. I was sitting at 43.5 mpg for the ~120 mile trip when I shut her off at the airport. Maybe I'll practice my NASCAR routine on the way back on Thursday. ;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
yep, dsg and dpf without the urea does cut into the mileage.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
just got my fuelly app to start tracking MPG accurately... too bad i wont need to fill up for 3-4 weeks haha!

i am continually amazed at how shocked people are that we have a diesel. just this weekend we were talking to some friends while tailgating at our alma mater and one girl made a comment how she needed a vehicle with better MPG so of course, i chimed in that we just got a passat diesel, everyone's face contorted and they said "why a diesel", my wife and i just laughed and said "because we got 41mpg coming up here going into 20-30mph headwinds with the cold front coming in. Their faces just DROPPED. priceless!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I was pulling into the local Sunoco the other day (7 pumps, 2 with diesel) and a Yukon pulls up to one of the diesel/gas pumps when several other gas pumps were available. Another car was at the other diesel/gas pump. So I pull up right in front of them and look as irritated as possible, engine idling.

Guy starts pumping gas into the Yukon and to my surprise his wife comes over and starts chatting me up about the Passat TDI! She seemed genuinely interested in it. She also seemed apologetic for hogging the diesel pump even though she didn't actually apologize.

Then they left and I filled up the car... 43.5 MPG. :cool:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I'm not counting the trip computer in the car—even I sometimes see 60, 70, 80 mpg and beyond; some really wild number that I simply don't believe.

I am talking about actual calculated mileage using Fuelly.com or even a spreadsheet.
I use fuelly too, I hit 43.2 according to fuelly on a trip back from Austin to Dallas at 70-75 running Shell B5 with temps in the high 90's and the AC on.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
This is so far off topic. Time for some housekeeping.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Time for some housekeeping.
:)

Keeping pretty steady in the 37-38mpg range for whoel tanks. I let a coworker test drive mine and flipped to show the Average MPG2 at 39.7mpg (a bit higher than pen and paper). I told him I drive aggressively and could easily bump that up by 4-5mpg for the same conditions. And that's why I have this car instead of some others that are capable of similar to better fuel economy. It is rewarding to drive.

fortunateson

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI DSG
I have a 2012 Passat SEL DSG and have averaged 40.7 mpg overall in 17,000 miles since new. That's well above the factory's 35 city/hwy combined numbers

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That is right in line with what I see at Fuelly. I am waiting for mine to come in. I am hoping for low 40's for normal driving and high 40's for trips.