skidplate on 2002 Golf

VTCD

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
So, just bought a 2002 Golf TDI ALH, love the car but it needs a little love. The original plastic skid plate was replaced with an ECS steel plate and has started to rust. I want to replace it with the same one, but cannot get the rear center bolt and retainer clip out. It spins in place. Any thoughts on how to get this out? Thanks.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Grind the head off, then you should be able to remove the pan, grab the bolt with vice grips and drill it out.

Also, the Panzer skid plates are aluminum, so, if you want an alternative that wouldn't rust.

Or, if the rust isnt bad, a wire wheel will take care of it. Then wipe it with pneuratic Acid(pool store), then wash it, then paint it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Grind the head off, then you should be able to remove the pan, grab the bolt with vice grips and drill it out.

Also, the Panzer skid plates are aluminum, so, if you want an alternative that wouldn't rust.

Or, if the rust isnt bad, a wire wheel will take care of it. Then wipe it with pneuratic Acid(pool store), then wash it, then paint it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Muriatic acid?

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Muriatic Acid is very dangerous, and certainly not needed, actually nether is the metal skid plate. The OEM plastic skid plates works just find, and is much easier to remove if need be. I understand some people swear by them, but I think it’s throwing money away that can be used for more important things. I have plastic skid plates on both my tdi’s for years without issue ...

Bajan

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Muriatic Acid is very dangerous, and certainly not needed, actually nether is the metal skid plate. The OEM plastic skid plates works just find, and is much easier to remove if need be. I understand some people swear by them, but I think it’s throwing money away that can be used for more important things. I have plastic skid plates on both my tdi’s for years without issue ...
Bajan
For anyone with a lowered vehicle or driving on unpredictable pavement
the metal ones are cheap insurance.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The plastic skid plate is not a plate and will not skid. It's a lower engine cover for debris and sound deadening.
These cars should have come with a metal plate standard. I guess you don't need it if you don't do any urban driving and all your roads are in good condition.
Personally, I wouldn't care about rust as long as the thing is structurally sound. Just spray it will some stuff.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
The plastic skid plate is not a plate and will not skid. It's a lower engine cover for debris and sound deadening.
These cars should have come with a metal plate standard. I guess you don't need it if you don't do any urban driving and all your roads are in good condition.
Personally, I wouldn't care about rust as long as the thing is structurally sound. Just spray it will some stuff.

Can you name me one vehicle manufacture, that offers a lower metal engine cover for cars ???

Out of the thousands of tdi’s on the road, probably less than ten had broken oil pans as a result of plastic engine covers.

Bajan

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I think that's great you don't need a metal plate. There are some manufacturers that use standard hard covers. I've owned more than a couple cars and never had one with such a low and exposed oil pan. Daughter took mine out on an asphalt road edge, she had no idea.
But the oil pan debate will go on, watch how big the thread gets.

tdi'd

TDI
2012 Golf (RIP), 1985 Golf (RIP), 2001 Golf
The previous owner of my car destroyed two oil pans before getting a panzer plate. Since I’ve had the car I’ve had my bones raddled too many times by the sweet jarring sound of the asphalt to aluminum. Philly streets are trash, I drive too fast, and these h & r lowering springs aren’t my favorite.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
My Lotus Elise came from the factory with an aluminum bottom engine cover. I realize that they didn't make a lot of the Elises, but they do have a metal bottom cover.

I have Panzar plate on one of my lowered Jetta sedans and I like it a lot. It isn't that hard to pull off. It does have some scrapes on it, but I realize it does sit lower than the plastic bottom cover.

If you don't have a bottom engine cover, then the Panzar plate is a good way to go because it only costs a $100-$200 more than the plastic cover and is much stronger.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
My Lotus Elise came from the factory with an aluminum bottom engine cover. I realize that they didn't make a lot of the Elises, but they do have a metal bottom cover.

I have Panzar plate on one of my lowered Jetta sedans and I like it a lot. It isn't that hard to pull off. It does have some scrapes on it, but I realize it does sit lower than the plastic bottom cover.

If you don't have a bottom engine cover, then the Panzar plate is a good way to go because it only costs a $100-$200 more than the plastic cover and is much stronger.

Great one in a million lol
My scirocco sits super low , only thing I’ve ever scrape is speed bumps.
Sorry but perfect time to show off my rides hahaa

Bajan