Turbo rebuild

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
06 BRM 1.9L 200K

Well my car started puking oil after deleting my EGR/cooler yesterday. Im gonna go on a limp and say I need a turbo. Any reason I can't rebuild it? What kit should I be looking at?

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Did the oil come from the tail pipe?
If so, yes, thats a blown turbo

Turbos theoretically can be rebuilt, however in some models the case of the tdis the suppliers dont provide with the parts or there are no competent rebuilders with the balancing equipment.

Of course there is always china. Be aware that a broken turbo can trash your engine via a runaway and that will be more expensive than a replacement turbo.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Only if you want it to fail again shortly after. The turbo manufacturers do not sell rebuild parts for TDI's and the Chinese parts that are out there on the the interweb are pirated garbage.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Even if you can get a real CHRA from Borg Warner, the rebuild for the BV39 is a bit more complicated than a '90s truck turbo, at least for a DIYer. If you can afford it, I recommend just jumping to a PD140 turbo, it's direct bolt on, robust and works well on a stock car. I already assume you have a tune for the EGR delete, so getting a tune for the PD140 would be a non issue.