Manual Transmission Drain/Fill Plugs

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
So I was changing manual transmission fluid on my new-to-me 230K 2002 Jetta TDI last weekend and with a little PB Blaster was able to remove the fill/drain plugs.

I hand-tightened a new drain plug (from ID Parts) until it was about halfway in and started using my ratchet but for the life of me I wasn't able to screw it all the way back in and have maybe 3-4 threads left exposed. I put in some effort and really threw my purse at it, but I didn't go beast mode in fear of stripping something. I PB Blasted around the bolt and waited an hour, but it wouldn't budge and still shows 3-4 threads. I even tried reusing the old plugs (which I cleaned up since they were half rusted) but it still didn't work. It feels tight, and drove it home from my friends place and saw no leaks but I'm worried that it might just untighten and fall out while I'm driving or some other unfortunately accident. It happened both for the fill and drain plugs.

Is there a way to get the bolt flush with the housing? Is it OK to leave with a those few threads exposed? Should I just go beast mode on this thing? TIA

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
mine have always had a few threads showing. I believe that they are tapered thread so when it stops its sealed. How many threads are inside the case? 3 or 4 should be sufficient as long as it is not leaking. Dont go beast mode on it because you will most likely strip something out if it is cross threaded. I have a stubby allen wrench with about a 3" handle I use for the plugs. I give it all I got but there is barely any leverage there. I never lost one.

jekl843

TDI
Thanks, I did notice the new one looked a bit tapered vs the old one, I didn't think about that. It's not leaking and I don't think I cross-threaded it as I was able to handtighten it halfway before I met resistance. Here is a pic of the old uncleaned one kind of showing how much is in vs out.

Last edited:

jekl843

TDI
Thanks for making me feel better vandermic07 and BobnOH, puts my mind to rest but I'll check it for leaks/tightness next weekend to make sure.

BobnOH, if you can believe it that old plug was completely flush when I took it out!! Wonderful New England Weather made its way up there... I doubt it had ever been changed before :p

jekl843

TDI
Ty for the responses. I checked again tonight after 2 days and 150 miles of spirited highway and back-road driving and it looks tight, no leaks. I reused the old one because after 1.5 hours of threading and rethreading new and old plugs, it felt like the old one threaded farther and was more snug.

Drain plug

Sorry for the fuzzy fill plug