Oil consumed between oil changes...10-15k miles interval?

Mawcus

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW PD 5 Speed
Just curious to see how much oil, if any people are adding to their cars during the life of an oil change. I've got a 2004 Jetta BEW 5 speed with 145k miles. I'm about halfway thru an oil change 7000 miles or so and I've added right around a quart...maybe half a quart twice since the last oil change...in order to keep the oil in the desired range on the dipstick. I don't have any oil leaks just wanted to see how much oil is burned/lost during the usual 10-15,000 miles between oil changes.

Thanks

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I generally add up to a half Quart by time for an oil change (10K miles). 335k miles on the odometer.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
0.5 liters. I buy a 5 liter bottle of oil, pour 4.5 into the engine and use the rest for topping off. At 15k km, the oil level starts to get low, but at this point I'm ready for my next oil change.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
None - but most of my driving is highway.

15,000 miles seems like a long interval - I change every 10,000 miles, which is fairly extended as it is.

Also, with a BEW (like I have), very important to use the correct oil.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Usually add half to 1 quart around 7,000 miles.

BlackCloud

TDI
02 Jetta tdi
I change mine @ 5k intervals and never need to add any in between.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I'm at 430K miles now. When I bought my '01 with 160K, I was using around 1qt per 10K interval. It's slowly crept up to about 2qt per 10K.

As a note, oil consumption did not change after I rebuilt the head at 260K nor when I replaced the turbo preemptively at 400K. So I conclude that my oil consumption is likely just due to the rings getting older. If I have the head off in the future, I'd likely re-ring it and maybe throw in rod bearings to see if oil consumption drops or not.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Have to add NONE. After 15,000 km I might be short a mm on the dipstick

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I'm at 430K miles now. When I bought my '01 with 160K, I was using around 1qt per 10K interval. It's slowly crept up to about 2qt per 10K.

As a note, oil consumption did not change after I rebuilt the head at 260K nor when I replaced the turbo preemptively at 400K. So I conclude that my oil consumption is likely just due to the rings getting older. If I have the head off in the future, I'd likely re-ring it and maybe throw in rod bearings to see if oil consumption drops or not.
I tried that and it didn't work. I reringed my engine and it still burns a quart per 1500 miles or so.

nexus665

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 4 1.9 ALH MY2002
Hi,

did you re-hone the bores at least? Just changing rings without re-treating the bores will not do much except cost you new rings...

They need to interact with the crosshone to really seat - although you may be over the wear limit and might need an overbore and oversized pistons to really seal again. Probably would do with a light hone, though...I have unmeasurable oil consumption in 10k miles with rehoned and reringed bores (compared to about 0,5-0,7l/10k miles before). Meaning, it sits at the top line on the dipstick and stays there, maybe a millimeter max difference.

Regards

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Yes I honed them and I think they are just too worn and the block needs to be bored. It comes to a point where it is simply cheaper just to keep adding oil than to do all that. Its a 315K mile 14 year old beater car....