Dead 02 TDI jetta, garage says lift pump I say impossible.

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
I am wondering what common things could cause my jetta to be bricked.

Symptoms prior, lots of smoke, hard start

Now, no fuel gets injected.

I am curious what all I need to go through (simple to complex)

I am hoping a sensor went or somethings plugged and I dont' have a bad injection pump.

Car only has 110k on the clock, timing belt was done about 20k ago.

Thanx
Ryan

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Considering your Jetta doesn't have a lift pump, I'd think you are correct.

You need to find a compotent mechanic.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Could be they are refering to the vane transfer pump in the IP.
Not terribly likely at 110K from normal wear but stranger things have happened.

Gluhkerze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2DR TDI Stick
You need to find a (competent) mechanic.
^X2^

Have you done the simple stuff like replace fuel filter yet? Pull engine cover and look for leaks around IP pump & injectors? Any air bubbles in the clear fuel line to the IP pump? Was this smoke black or white?

Last edited:

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
^X2^

Have you done the simple stuff like replace fuel filter yet? Pull engine cover and look for leaks around IP pump & injectors? Any air bubbles in the clear fuel line to the IP pump? Was this smoke black or white?
Black smoke and loss of power, intake was clean, turbo was clean.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You COULD have blown off a lower turbo hose. If at speed when it happens it'll smoke HARD and then sometimes stall/flood out. But it could be a pump, seen them fail earlier. Any metallic ticking prior to the shut down? The pumps tick hard before they grenade.

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
Have you inspected the TB for condition and tension??
Did this happen suddenly or did the smoke/hard starts come gradually?
It came on gradually but on the last day it was hard to keep running and went down quickly.

Are there any reliable and inexpensive tdi mechanics in the Wausau WI area? I hate having to plunk down $1k ever year.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Are there any reliable and inexpensive tdi mechanics in the Wausau WI area? I hate having to plunk down $1k ever year.
Ummmm.....Pick one. Decide what your priority is. Also depends what you're spending your $$$ on. For example, I'll charge you $225 parts/labor for front brakes using quality parts. $165 rears. I don't have a shop to support, so take that into consideration.

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
Ummmm.....Pick one. Decide what your priority is. Also depends what you're spending your $$$ on. For example, I'll charge you $225 parts/labor for front brakes using quality parts. $165 rears. I don't have a shop to support, so take that into consideration.
Brakes are done, motor isn't.

Also my experience lately is that I get neither, they are both expensive and unreliable, the local cheapskate was the most reliable but he doesn't work on TDIs.

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
I got the thing running but it smokes like a coal train and has no power, I didn't see anything significant in the throttle body, looks to be straight through. I don't see and hoses off the turbo.

I will need to keep looking, could injectors or injection pump cause this strange behavior?

Doug Huffman

Veteran Member
Washington Island, on the other side of Death's Do
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2K3 Silver gone to new home
It came on gradually but on the last day it was hard to keep running and went down quickly.

Is Madison in the Wausau area? JasonTDI (see above) is only four hours from me and I recommend him highly as reliable and inexpensive!

jasonTDI

TDI
Lots of clients from that area.

We'll see how much work I can do in the next few weeks. Going in to get the diagnosis on the right foot. Chasing 120 lbs dogs on the hunt through the woods....either subluxed the outer right foot or clean broke it. Either way it's swollen and I can stand on it at all. Took 20 min to gimp 300 ft out of the woods....I hate flies and mosquitos. Dog was smart enough to come back before the beating began.

PSDExcursion

TDI
White 2002 Jetta GL
I had a similar problem, turned out to be the lower intercooler hose blew off. Put that back on and it was good to go. Give it a look, it's under the front bumper, passenger side.

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
Lots of clients from that area.
We'll see how much work I can do in the next few weeks. Going in to get the diagnosis on the right foot. Chasing 120 lbs dogs on the hunt through the woods....either subluxed the outer right foot or clean broke it. Either way it's swollen and I can stand on it at all. Took 20 min to gimp 300 ft out of the woods....I hate flies and mosquitos. Dog was smart enough to come back before the beating began.
Bummer Jason. I broke my left foot and ankle at work about 4 years ago and it took about a year to get it back to as good as it will ever get. Last year, I broke the left fibula about an inch above where the ankle broke. It slows me down some and it often lets me know when I've been too hard on it, but I can still out work vitually all of the young'ens at work and that includes walking the airplane about a mile to the paint shop.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
I'd have to agree, 1k a year in maintenance isn't a whole lot.

Consider the fuel money savings you get in your TDI toward that and it's really a bargain.

jasonTDI

TDI
Got lucky, Tweaked the tendon, partial ligament tear when I dislocated the mid bone from the heal on the outside mid foot.

Can't really walk on it but icing, and a good chiropractor to "adjust" it helped a lot. I hate crutches....

Bummer Jason. I broke my left foot and ankle at work about 4 years ago and it took about a year to get it back to as good as it will ever get. Last year, I broke the left fibula about an inch above where the ankle broke. It slows me down some and it often lets me know when I've been too hard on it, but I can still out work vitually all of the young'ens at work and that includes walking the airplane about a mile to the paint shop.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Jason - get some of the arm band crutches, they are great. I was on them for a year after a 23 foot fall that shattered my right ankle, tibia, and fibula that took 5 surgeries to correct. I was able to get around much better than with the armpit crutches.

I used them when I went grocery shopping also, I would use a length of rope to attach the shopping cart to my center rear belt loop and drag it like a trailer :D while cruising around at full speed on my crutches.

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
Well after several weeks of very poor performance, the injection pump is very very dead.

Can these things be rebuilt on an 02 Auto TDI jetta? Or do I need to spend $1200?

What is the best source of a good Injection pump for my car?

Thanx
Ryan

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
Well this saga is not yet over.

$1200 from DFIS + $2k repairs

Now it appears the autotragic XMSN is failing. bleh, I should have unloaded this when it still ran several years ago.

At least I think that is what the rpm popping up a bit every few seconds means :(

I remember long ago someone had 6sp MT's from the euro zone as complete kits (more or less) for $600ish, does that option still exist?

Trouble would be the labor :(

I also remember this car had an optional 5sp automatic, was that any better than the crappy 01mv 4 speed? If it were roughly the same cost, more reliable and a drop in replacement :)

Thanx
Ryan

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Cheapest swap would be a O2J 5spd.. I would assume the newer auto trans (O9A) would drop in if that's what you really wanted.

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Been there, got the t-shirt. I put 7k(ish) in my car from November to Jan..

Started with pump / injectors and elective Early TB replacement, then the 5sp swap.... then the stock turbo grenaded right before I started work on the 5sp swap (O2J).

I was seriously questioning why I was putting all this money into my car (especially when the turbo died) but I will say I'm VERY happy with the end result. the car makes good power and it consistently gets fuel economy to match my 'best ever' tanks when the car was an auto. I can't wait to take the car on a highway trip!