Tandem pump replacement

lirunaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI, Model Year:2006 Code:6 MFG:07/05 Vin:9BWGR61J364004114 Sales Model:9B1 538 Description:1.9 TDI High 100 Engine:BEW Type:TD CCM:1896 KW:74 Description:Pumpe-D... Transmission:GPC Type:A Number:09AH GVWR:4097 Front:2269 Rear:1850
This is the first time I'm seeing anything about a recall. Mine filled up with diesel last winter. It was a few days after I cleaned the fuel injectors and checked the oil level. I always check the oil level when the hood is up regardless of what I'm doing. It's just a habit of mine. I didn't know why it did this at the time. After replacing the motor I found the second motor had a leak on the pierburg pump vacuum fitting. I put my old bosch pump on it. Luckily I checked the oil level and found it was filling up quick. I JB welded the peirburg pump and put it back on. No more bosch for me.

I have read on here many years ago someone said the check valve hangs up in the cold. It did get unusually cold for North Carolina that night. I wonder if a frost heater would be a good idea to help with the situation.

I used an allen wrench with a ball on the end.

vlodster

TDI
Jetta, '04, BEW
Do I need to use gasket sealant, on both sides of the metal gasket where the the tandem pump bolts to the cylinder head?

Mwhite01

TDI
'07 Jetta 1.9 PD BXE
I didn't seat the pump into the camshaft correctly. Snapped the pump clean off at one of the bolts

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
I didn't seat the pump into the camshaft correctly. Snapped the pump clean off at one of the bolts
It would be super interesting to learn what you did wrong so others didn't repeat it! I just installed a new unit on my Passat last night, but I'm worried about not having it seated correctly now, and on the passat, I really struggled with getting it on and off. Swapping the coolant manifold and the tandem pump, with the transmission out, took me 5 hours. I'm frustrated that it took so long, but even with the tranny out, all the hoses, and wiring bundles, matched with the closeness of the firewall made it a real stinker.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
I have noticed my brakes seem low on vacuum if I either stab them hard or pump more then 2x. Is this a sign of a failing vac pump or should I look elsewhere?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Could be a leak in the pump, an external hose leaking (the hard line maybe), even the brake booster.
Do you ever hear a whoosh when you step on the pedal?

BarnAgain

TDI
2005.5 MK4,BEW,DMF,DSG New Beetle 1.9 TDI PD
little leaks can be hard to find

All the little hoses off the vacuum pump can get very fragile. I replaced the link to the master cylinder with several hoses and a 90 degree brass fitting. The main hose can also have a break near the bend and be hard to find. Dig into it and feel or listen for vacuum.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
Could be a leak in the pump, an external hose leaking (the hard line maybe), even the brake booster.
Do you ever hear a whoosh when you step on the pedal?
i have not been listening for one but will now
All the little hoses off the vacuum pump can get very fragile. I replaced the link to the master cylinder with several hoses and a 90 degree brass fitting. The main hose can also have a break near the bend and be hard to find. Dig into it and feel or listen for vacuum.
I will poke around. Any idea what the tandem should pull fir vaccumn

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any idea what the tandem should pull fir vaccumn
You need at least 20 inches for the actuator to go full.
The nipple on the pump may be loose.
Some peen the edge of the pump case (carefully) to tighten it, some use epoxy filler s/a JB-Weld.

dabest

TDI
05 Golf TDI
I'm also having a oil leak from the tandem pump cover.Is there any other suppliers other then the dealer to purchase the pump.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I'm also having a oil leak from the tandem pump cover.Is there any other suppliers other then the dealer to purchase the pump.
IDPARTS
Kerma
Cascade German Parts

I bought mine from IDPARTS...

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seals and such are available also.
A lot cheaper then replacing the entire unit.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
You need at least 20 inches for the actuator to go full.
The nipple on the pump may be loose.
Some peen the edge of the pump case (carefully) to tighten it, some use epoxy filler s/a JB-Weld.
Well as usual I put things off until it really needs my attention, limped it Home last night with stiff pedal, no brakes:rolleyes: lots of downshifting, thankfully all rural roads no traffic. Will check out nipple tomorro.