Blinker stalk and glow plug light

CrashedGolf

TDI
Mk4 golf 5 speed
Ok I had an 02 tdi that I was t boned in (it was totaled and I wanted to cry) anyways, I replaced it with an 01 tdi and of course it’s the same car right? Well a very subtle difference I noticed was the blinker stalk, the cruise function in particular. The 02 had a rocker switch for accel and coast. The 01 has a button for coast and the cruise on off has a momentary position past “on” that functions as accel. Well my 01 sometimes wants to turn cruise off when I try to accel. Here’s my question. Can I replace the 01 stalk with an 02 stalk to get the nice rocker switch back? Will these parts interchange even tho they are different but the same but different?
Next question, my 02 GPL would stay on with the glow plugs and go off when ready to start. The 01 doesn’t do that. The light comes on for like 2 seconds and goes off. 10 or 15 seconds later I can hear the glow plug relay click off and lights get brighter then I spin it over and it fires right up. Sure would be nice if the GPL would stay on till the glow plugs were done heating. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reading this far into a petty issue. I appreciate your time and help. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Typical GP light cycle on the 01.

I feel quite certain that the pigtail connector from the Cruise switch that goes down the steering column and connects under the dash, is the same for both of those years. To be clear, it doesn't unplug at the switch or at the base of the signal stalk, it's further down the column based on the length of the pig tail that come with the wiring harness bundle from an 02 Jetta that I used for my conversion project.

I'll pull out my notes and take a look...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Okay, looking at the Bentley Schematics (specific to both the 01 & 02 models, page 97-681), there's no indication that there is a difference ....... like, there's no asterisk (*) with a footnote/side note showing a year or mid-year change. Period.

Now, keep in mind, I am looking at schematics and going by my personal experience installing the cruise stalk on my Vanagon steering column, with no splices, the length of the pig tail with the connector on the end goes well down the column and up under the dash with more than adequate length. But, where the connector might be on the Golf/Jetta steering column is going to be your adventure unless someone in the know chimes in.

Hope this helps!