New color ideas...

Asbury030

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Golf
Hey guys I'm debating on repainting my 02 Jetta. I talked to my dads friend who owns a body shop. He gave me a quote of $1800 to repaint the car the original color (silver) or the newer white silver metallic on the newer models and if I wanted to change the color completely it would be and additional $1500. I really like the indigo blue or the metallic gray, but I'm kinda torn between saving the extra cash and going with silver or paying the extra cash and going completely different. I would also like to see some pictures of everyone's cars also just to get a feel for the different colors.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Try pics.tdiclub.com, all the photos you can imagine
The colors on digital photo displays are pretty bad, so before you make your final decision, get a look at one in daylight.
I'm a fan of color, the hardest part with changing is getting all the detail, odds and ends to match nice. Silver, silver/white, metal grey all look the same to me and will match up well with the other cars on the road. I like the canyon red and the beetle pastels and brights.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Go totally nuts. While I am not going to paint mine, I would love to be able to justify it. Fine metallic white( likely a slightly 'off white'), with violet pearl. Then the car would match my Bontrager Race-Light MTB frame...:)
cheers,
Douglas

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am not a fan of color changes, because it will never be the same as if the car was actually born that color unless you strip it down to the shell... which for an extra $1500 I assure you is NOT happening.

I think it looks cheesy to see a blue car and open the hood and see a red firewall and inner strut towers. Besides, even in places you may more easily see like the door jambs and trunk lid, it is very difficult to get into those places and properly prep the old paint for the new stuff to stick. So that is where you'll see it start flaking off. And those areas generally do not need to be repainted in the first place... the original stuff in there is fine.

I'd just do the outside. And I'd do it right ($1800 sounds way cheap to me). By right, I mean bumper covers at minimum come off and come apart, all the lights come out, fender liners come out, window trim, cowl trim, door handles, trunk handle, grills, antenna, etc. all come out. If he can do all THAT for $1800, and it looks good when it is done, please let me know and I will bring all three of my Golfs down to him and he can do all of them back to back. Indigo Blue, Jazz Blue, and Sequoia Green.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Or you could scuff the paint, and brush on self-leveling urethane. Probably won't win a concours anytime soon, ... or ever ..., but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Just sayin' because clearly that is not your objective. You sound like you actually want a very good job done. Hope it works well.

Cheers,

PH

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Go Platinum Gray... best ever :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I don't recall ever being pulled over or hit in a silver car

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
I don't recall ever being pulled over or hit in a silver car

Same, but then again I never got laid in a silver car either so there are pros and cons to everything.
(Current car is an 03 wagon... in silver unfortunately)

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Did they ever paint an 03 wagon in platinum gray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Same, but then again I never got laid in a silver car either so there are pros and cons to everything.
(Current car is an 03 wagon... in silver unfortunately)
Damn! Made me think for a minute:rolleyes:, try gold on white. Color of my K5. Having a camper with a bed helps a lot too.