www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 9th, 2018, 08:56   #16
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Most vehicles I have seen post there is a limit to how much weight should be carried up top. On my wife's Santa Fe it is posted on the roof top rails and says no more than 220 lbs and includes the weight of the box and supporting structure.

http://www.hyundaisantafemanual.com/...roof_rack.html

This is very limiting compared to a trailer which could easily carry 4 or 5 times that amount if needed. The trailer is also more useful when carrying other items that probably shouldn't be placed in a box on top of the car. Such as taking your lawnmower in for repair or buying some bricks or dirt etc..

If you will only use it for lighter items like clothes and such in luggage, it will probably be okay. I like the greater usefulness of the trailer and not having the extra weight up top.

Small invisible trailers can be helped by a small stand pole with a flag or tennis ball on it. Or they can just be easily disconnected and reconnected as needed.
Old November 9th, 2018, 13:06   #17
Drclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Most vehicles I have seen post there is a limit to how much weight should be carried up top. On my wife's Santa Fe it is posted on the roof top rails and says no more than 220 lbs and includes the weight of the box and supporting structure.

http://www.hyundaisantafemanual.com/...roof_rack.html

This is very limiting compared to a trailer which could easily carry 4 or 5 times that amount if needed. The trailer is also more useful when carrying other items that probably shouldn't be placed in a box on top of the car. Such as taking your lawnmower in for repair or buying some bricks or dirt etc..

If you will only use it for lighter items like clothes and such in luggage, it will probably be okay. I like the greater usefulness of the trailer and not having the extra weight up top.

Small invisible trailers can be helped by a small stand pole with a flag or tennis ball on it. Or they can just be easily disconnected and reconnected as needed.

Any specific recommendarions on a trailer?
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 13:46   #18
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If you just need something small and easily storable for limited use it is hard to beat the Harbor Freight trailers. If you need something more stout than you will have to check local trailer places or Craigslist or such. Kind of depends on your budget and intended use.

For Thanksgiving I would suggest try renting a small trailer from UHaul or similar. I have had a small luggage trailer, a small 4x6 enclosed trailer, a Harbor Freight trailer, a flat bed trailer with a ramp and a car dolly. All towed behind a Beetle tdi at one time or another. I had no issues with towing with any of them. Under 1000lbs and you won't even realize it is there most of the time.
Old November 9th, 2018, 19:00   #19
Drclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
If you just need something small and easily storable for limited use it is hard to beat the Harbor Freight trailers. If you need something more stout than you will have to check local trailer places or Craigslist or such. Kind of depends on your budget and intended use.

For Thanksgiving I would suggest try renting a small trailer from UHaul or similar. I have had a small luggage trailer, a small 4x6 enclosed trailer, a Harbor Freight trailer, a flat bed trailer with a ramp and a car dolly. All towed behind a Beetle tdi at one time or another. I had no issues with towing with any of them. Under 1000lbs and you won't even realize it is there most of the time.
thats a great idea! thanks
Old November 9th, 2018, 19:50   #20
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Friend of mine has had whisper bars on both his '12 JSW and 15 GSW. The GSW has a pano roof, the JSW didn't. But I'd be surprised if they didn't work.

I used a Thule box for years on the top of my Jetta Wagon to take my sons snowboarding. We probably took a FE hit, but I don't recall ever dropping below 40 MPG in that car with 4 people, gear, and the box on the roof. I'd much prefer not to deal with a trailer, even if it costs me a couple MPG.

I'd also suggest another option: take less. I can't believae how much unnecessary stuff we used to haul around when my kids were younger. Now I travel very light, and rarely miss what I don't bring. But if you can't do that, go for a good, aerodynamic, water tight box.

Also, I've done that drive a bunch of times (I'm in Duxbury) and I'd rather not have to get through NY and DC with a trailer. Stressful enough without. And I'd want to run with traffic on 95 or 81, which ever you take. Last time I drove 81 the left lane was running at 80+. Don't know if I'd love that with a trailer, either.

Last edited by IndigoBlueWagon; November 9th, 2018 at 19:53.
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 07:48   #21
Drclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Friend of mine has had whisper bars on both his '12 JSW and 15 GSW. The GSW has a pano roof, the JSW didn't. But I'd be surprised if they didn't work.

I used a Thule box for years on the top of my Jetta Wagon to take my sons snowboarding. We probably took a FE hit, but I don't recall ever dropping below 40 MPG in that car with 4 people, gear, and the box on the roof. I'd much prefer not to deal with a trailer, even if it costs me a couple MPG.

I'd also suggest another option: take less. I can't believae how much unnecessary stuff we used to haul around when my kids were younger. Now I travel very light, and rarely miss what I don't bring. But if you can't do that, go for a good, aerodynamic, water tight box.

Also, I've done that drive a bunch of times (I'm in Duxbury) and I'd rather not have to get through NY and DC with a trailer. Stressful enough without. And I'd want to run with traffic on 95 or 81, which ever you take. Last time I drove 81 the left lane was running at 80+. Don't know if I'd love that with a trailer, either.

Hey neighbor! yea im not thrilled about driving long distance with a trailer but one of those small uhaul slipstream carriers wouldnt be too bad. I'm sure i could cram everything into the car but we have a 1 year and will need to bring a stroller, pack and play our luggage, and my we're toting my nephew on the way back. We'll probably do some BF shopping on our way back and i think that will put us over the top. Having the extra storage, whether its a rocket box or a trailer would be great. I think longer term, id probably have both. Rocket box for these types of situations and a trailer to use instead of my old beater truck. I use the truck for dump runs and sometimes when i have to go to CT to fix something at a rental property I own in CT.
Old November 10th, 2018, 09:07   #22
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Strollers are space hogs. One of the best things we did is get an umbrella stroller for trips. Used to wheel right onto airplanes and toss it in the overhead. Takes zero space in the car.
Old November 10th, 2018, 14:58   #23
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

A stroller would fit on a hitch platform in the back. As long as everything else fit in the box.
Old November 10th, 2018, 18:06   #24
Drclaw

Quote:
Strollers are space hogs. One of the best things we did is get an umbrella stroller for trips. Used to wheel right onto airplanes and toss it in the overhead. Takes zero space in the car.

i know, tell me about it. the stroller takes up literally half of the cargo space. we got an umbrella for this trip. will def help.
Old November 13th, 2018, 08:54   #25
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:

You probably missed the part about the Whispbar S53 is the flush bar, which many like due to aesthetics. it is fine without a sunroof, but if you want to use your panoramic sunroof, the glass panel will contact whatever mounting method that hangs below the bar.

A Whispbar Thru-bar, since it sits higher, will have adequate clearance, even clearance with the Yakima Skybox clamp.

But with the sunroof open with the box, you get a lot of turbulence from the underside of the roof box

Last edited by 20IndigoBlue02; November 13th, 2018 at 23:03.
20IndigoBlue02 is offline   Reply With Quote