VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Same here. Offer is value only, appt confirmation email shows value+buyback. I'm turning in May 24th. We shall see.
Were you still in the portal or had you been deemed ineligible?

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Just got my offer for 3.0 Touareg, with no restitution.
Awesome to hear on the 3.0!

Do you mind answering the following about the car?

1. 2.0 or 3.0?

2. Was the car a VW lease car?

3. When did you purchase the car? (month/year)

4. When was the car crashed? (month/year)

5. When was the car rebuilt and issued a rebuilt title? (month/year)

6. When was the VW buyback claim initially submitted? (month/year)

7. Was the car/claim ever deemed ineligible by VW?

8. Did VW ask you to provide "proof of operability"?

9. In which state was the rebuilt title issued?

10. In which state is the title currently issued (if different than #9)?

gmoldovan

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Got an offer on a car today. 2.0 rebuilt sometime last year with a California salvage title (which is technically a rebuilt title). Been in limbo for a year. Buyback amount only with them saying they'll contact us after the deadline if we're elligible for restitution. Nothing about proof of operability. I'm also concerned why I have only 7 pages and the last page says 7 of 8.

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Awesome to hear on the 3.0!
3.0 never leased

Bought January 2017 totaled spring 2015

Illinois rebuilt title issued May 2015, titled in WI

Claim submitted June 2017, never denied.

Submitted Proof of operability February 2018

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
3.0 never leased

Bought January 2017 totaled spring 2015

Illinois rebuilt title issued May 2015, titled in WI

Claim submitted June 2017, never denied.

Submitted Proof of operability February 2018
What was that date for which they requested that you prove operability for your 3.0? For the 2.0, they have been requesting to prove that it was operable on Jun 28, 2016, as that corresponds with the date that the settlement was approved. For your 3.0 was it also that date, or was it the date that the 3.0 settlement was approved? I assume the latter, but I just haven't heard concretely from any 3.0l people who have received this request.

joneloo

TDI
12 Touareg
I also got an offer on a 3.0 2012 Touareg today:

1. 2.0 or 3.0? 3.0

2. Was the car a VW lease car? No

3. When did you purchase the car? 11/2017

4. When was the car crashed? 03/2017

5. When was the car rebuilt and issued a rebuilt title? 11/2017

6. When was the VW buyback claim initially submitted? 11/2017

7. Was the car/claim ever deemed ineligible by VW? No

8. Did VW ask you to provide "proof of operability"? No

9. In which state was the rebuilt title issued? GA

10. In which state is the title currently issued (if different than #9)? GA

The offer is just the vehicle value amount, additional restitution not included.

"VW will notify you after the end of the Class Action Settlement Program (September 30, 2019) if you are eligible to receive an additional restitution payment."

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
What was that date for which they requested that you prove operability for your 3.0? For the 2.0, they have been requesting to prove that it was operable on Jun 28, 2016, as that corresponds with the date that the settlement was approved. For your 3.0 was it also that date, or was it the date that the 3.0 settlement was approved? I assume the latter, but I just haven't heard concretely from any 3.0l people who have received this request.
If I Rember correctly there was a date range, but I ignored it. Just submitted documentation that the Touareg was rebuilt, certified, and registered with plates which made it roadworthy.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
For the people that got offers, does the registration have to be old 2015 eta or can u upload a new registration for 2018.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
Anyone receive an offer letter after an appeal?
Still waiting for mine, received an outcome of the appeal on 3/22/18.

xcdhracer15

Veteran Member
TDI
99 audi a4 ahu, 02 dmax twin turbo
Anyone know if registration needs to be current to turn the car in for buyback? I have a car I'd been waiting since last June for and just received an offer letter. Car has been sitting with expired registration since March.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Anyone know if registration needs to be current to turn the car in for buyback? I have a car I'd been waiting since last June for and just received an offer letter. Car has been sitting with expired registration since March.
The only requirement is it runs on its own power and you have the title to hand over. You had already uploaded registration from which they had decided on your eligibility. Your only risk is getting pulled over on way to turn-in if you don't have tags.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW

1. 2.0 or 3.0?

2. Was the car a VW lease car?

3. When did you purchase the car? (month/year)

4. When was the car crashed? (month/year)

5. When was the car rebuilt and issued a rebuilt title? (month/year)

6. When was the VW buyback claim initially submitted? (month/year)

7. Was the car/claim ever deemed ineligible by VW?

8. Did VW ask you to provide "proof of operability"?

9. In which state was the rebuilt title issued?

10. In which state is the title currently issued (if different than #9)?

Mrzanzinger

TDI
2011 JSW
1. 2.0 or 3.0? 2.0

2. Was the car a VW lease car? No

3. When did you purchase the car? 1/2017

4. When was the car crashed? 08/16

5. When was the car rebuilt and issued a rebuilt title? 1/17

6. When was the VW buyback claim initially submitted? 5/17

7. Was the car/claim ever deemed ineligible by VW? No

8. Did VW ask you to provide "proof of operability"? Yes and there's no way I can because it sat on an IAAI lot until 11/16.

9. In which state was the rebuilt title issued? MO

10. In which state is the title currently issued (if different than #9)? MO

So how up the creek am I? Is there anything I can do besides keep driving it and hope the HPFP doesn't fail again?

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
I was recently out of the country for work and just heard they set this feb 26 date to get rebuilt title, I got rebuilt title 2 months ago.. will they accept it

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

mirtdi

TDI
10 Jetta
Vw back to their old games Again no suprize

Expect errors when filling a claim and to wait 5 business days for them to fix the error then wait another 10 business days to review your submission. Look out very much of the same delays, have to love their consistency in making the process as slow as possible.

Error below:
An error has occurred. Please contact the TDI Settlement Support Team at 1-(844) 98-CLAIM during the hours of 7 AM to 11 PM ET.Error Code 9999 ( Build number 926 )

Fix advised was to try different browsers, change your prefferred dealership, i did this in chrome, firefox, edge and apple still same error, seems like a convenient error on their system, you think they would stick by their original statement. Vw " Working to make things right"

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1100985_vw-diesel-ad-pledges-its-working-to-make-things-right

Your canned statement of the day is:

If the issue is not resolved within 3-5 business days please contact us back.

Good Luck everyone

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Expect errors when filling a claim and to wait 5 business days for them to fix the error then wait another 10 business days to review your submission. Look out very much of the same delays, have to love their consistency in making the process as slow as possible.

Error below:
An error has occurred. Please contact the TDI Settlement Support Team at 1-(844) 98-CLAIM during the hours of 7 AM to 11 PM ET.Error Code 9999 ( Build number 926 )

Fix advised was to try different browsers, change your prefferred dealership, i did this in chrome, firefox, edge and apple still same error, seems like a convenient error on their system, you think they would stick by their original statement. Vw " Working to make things right"

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1100985_vw-diesel-ad-pledges-its-working-to-make-things-right

Your canned statement of the day is:

If the issue is not resolved within 3-5 business days please contact us back.

Good Luck everyone
I obviously have no idea if that is intentional or not, but everybody that encounters this should take a screenshot and jot down some notes (date that it happened, at which point it happened during the claim submission, etc). In case this does turn out to be endemic and exclusive to salvage title claims, this could possibly be worth having in the event of a later lawsuit (if needed). Better to have the info than not.

vincentld

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I had the same error pop up. You need to make sure the PDF is "non interactive".

What I found is that when you attempt to print the document it converts it to non interactive. You don't actually need to print it but just save that copy that it wants to print under a different name. It then allowed me to upload doc.

There may be an easier way, but that worked.

johtdi

TDI
Jetta
files

what format are you using, i tried a pdf that was scanned to send back, but i received the same error message. Maybe take photos send in as a jpg or ? Was given a fax number too, i did that but still not reflecting as received anyone else having this issue?

248-754-6602

vincentld

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
You will need to convert your PDF to a non editable version. At least that is what I did.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1004168

"the task is to take an editable PDF form and make it "static" - completely uneditable.
Instead of saving the file, choose Print, Select Adobe PDF as your printer and give it a new file name when prompted"

jaron_denson

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI
Does anyone know what has worked for Proof of Operability? My vehicle falls a month before the 6/28/16 deadline and I was not the owner of the vehicle at that time. I need to somehow have a low bar to cross with as little information as possible.

Any Ideas on how to obtain previous owner information?

Any idea on how to find previous licence plate #'s for vehicle?

Located in California.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
Does anyone know what has worked for Proof of Operability? My vehicle falls a month before the 6/28/16 deadline and I was not the owner of the vehicle at that time. I need to somehow have a low bar to cross with as little information as possible.
Located in California.

Many of us are trying to figure out how to satisfy this requirement. Per the agreement, VW needs proof of operability for any vehicle (clean title or salvage) it repurchases. It has not required this information for clean titles, but VW runs a carfax and if the vehicle was totaled prior to 6/28/16, then it is requiring it.

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Located in California.
If you have good records, use the following:

- License plate assigned or transferred to vehicle at time of titling
- License plate renewal
- Emissions check at time of license renewal or titling
- Copy of previous owners title if bought with rebuilt (I keep a copy of all titles for vehicles purchased)
- Certificate of rebuilt title either your own or one assigned at time of purchase
- Repair bill or parking ticket
- Watch Perry Mason and then write a convincing summary explaining why the collection of documents submitted proves operability.

I'm sure there are other options, but you're proving that beyond a doubt the vehicle can legally be driven on the road. That is all that really natters. Option B is to pull a carfax and submit that as part of your argument.

Last edited: