New PD TDI getting 32/41. Will my mileage improve over time?

cavuseeker

TDI
2006 PD Jetta Wheat Beige
I am about 5 weeks into owning a new TDI PD Jetta. My mileage is almost exactly what the EPA rating is. Here are the stats:

2006 TDI Jetta, 6 spd DSG auto
Current Mileage ~1600
Tanks filled 4 (+ another top up of a quarter)
Mileage: 32, +/- 1.5 or so. On one road trip of about 700 miles, I got 40.8.

I keep seeing people saying they are getting in the mid to high 40's, etc. These I assume are with older non-PD TDI's, and are well broken in.

Is there a large difference with manual vs the 6 pd DSG?

Not that I'm complaining all that much. I am getting 10 mpg better than my 99 Passat 1.8T in the exact same driving. But any wisdom would be welcome.

Thanks

Jason

cavuseeker

TDI
Forgot to mention what my drive is

Most driving is a 13 mile commute to/from work, with some freeway driving around Seattle. Probably 80/20 on that. In that regime, I get around 32.

On that one road trip, it was all freeway and 2 lane state highways, so freeway speeds the whole way (60-75 or so).

Jason

rommelrick

I own a 2004 jetta tdi pd stick and I get around 41-42 in the city 48 on highway. These newer tdi's don't get that kind of mileage because the cars are bigger and heavier and have the same engine.

rommelrick

My only problem is I run castrol TXT 505.01 oil. On my last oil change after only 4,300 mile the oil came out as thick as molasses why?. isin't this the oil vw recomends for pd engines?. Should I start running something else?

cavuseeker

TDI
rommelrick said:
My only problem is I run castrol TXT 505.01 oil. On my last oil change after only 4,300 mile the oil came out as thick as molasses why?. isin't this the oil vw recomends for pd engines?. Should I start running something else?
NO. Do not run anything else. There is a required oil change at 5000 miles, and traditionally, the first oil change had a lot of gunk in it from the breakin, but I am not sure that applies anymore. There was no breakin period really on my Goldwing, which is just a liquid cooled 6 cylinder engine.

Did you warm up to operating temp before you changed it?

The PD engine absolutely requires this oil or equivalent, and not running a 505.01 oil will definitely void the warranty. The PD injectors are driven by the cam, and there are tremendous sheer forces on the oil. This is one time that a vendor specified oil is not a gimmick.

Jason

DrewD

Veteran Member
cavuseeker said:
Most driving is a 13 mile commute to/from work, with some freeway driving around Seattle. Probably 80/20 on that. In that regime, I get around 32.

On that one road trip, it was all freeway and 2 lane state highways, so freeway speeds the whole way (60-75 or so).

Jason
A 13 mile commute is barely long enough for the engine to be fully warmed up. Because of the aux cabin heat on our cars, I don't think we have coolant glow plugs to warm the engine up. In fact, my 06 TDI takes about 12 miles on the highway to fully warm up and my 04 TDI did it only in 6 miles of same type of driving.

With such a short commute, I'd get a zerostart heater and let it preheat your engine for you and that should help fuel economy.

SignalTDI

TDI
2006 TDI, 5 spd manual
I too have a new 2006 TDI. Mine is a manual transmission. I have had it for only two weeks, but I have put about 1,700 miles on it so far. Obviously, there are a lot of highway miles in that. I am a little disappointed in the 41-43 mpg I have been getting. I have a friend with a 2003 TDI, and he gets close to 50 mpg with mostly Atlanta commuting miles.
Here's the question: Am I missing something? Why is my mileage not at least in the middle to upper 40s?
Another question: Just how much impact does each (OK, just the major ones) variable have on the mpgs? (i.e. aggressive driving, ambient temp, tire inflation)

joeman2199

Vendor , w/Business number
I have an '04 pd, and up until 20,000 miles give or take i was always getting 38 mpg, with spirited driving, a/c 10 months out of the year and running 80 mph on the highway with a 50/50 mix... im only at 32000 now but about 10000 miles ago instead of my gas light going on at around 550 miles, i can get into the 625 range before the the gas light goes on.

anyways my best tank so far has been 675 miles before i gave up, and my mileage consistently stays in the 43-45 mpg range. im also a big beliver in going to high volume gas stations and getting fresh fuel. the last time i went to a station that was 15/cents cheaper per gallon, but i lost 3 mpg.

in the end you should notice an increase in mileage as your engine losens up all the way up to 60,000 miles. ( i find it ironic that our cars only get into their prime mileage wise, while hybrids are only getting weaker by 100k) the only bad news for us is that the new ULSD has a lower btu content, so we might lose a mpg there...

qformaggio

TDI
Jetta, 2004, Spice Red
My '04 auto gets 35mpg in a "fairly brisk" urban commute of 28 miles (and 60 or so stop lights & signs), so I'd think you're not that far off the curve.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
SignalTDI said:
I too have a new 2006 TDI. Mine is a manual transmission. I have had it for only two weeks, but I have put about 1,700 miles on it so far. Obviously, there are a lot of highway miles in that. I am a little disappointed in the 41-43 mpg I have been getting. I have a friend with a 2003 TDI, and he gets close to 50 mpg with mostly Atlanta commuting miles.
Here's the question: Am I missing something? Why is my mileage not at least in the middle to upper 40s?
Another question: Just how much impact does each (OK, just the major ones) variable have on the mpgs? (i.e. aggressive driving, ambient temp, tire inflation)
You have a completely different motor than your friend's. The PD motor you have generates more power/torque, but with slighty lower mileage. Plus, your car is bigger and heavier than the '03

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Ya, I think the beetles actually win now in the MPG race against the porky new A5 jetta's. My average is 42 w/3k on the clock with a 44/40 high low. 30/70 split with some 70 mph cruising. mostly 50-60. dsg 06

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle Blue and 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Make sure you are filling up the tank all the way, vent it after the initial shut off at the pump. You will get almost 2 more gallons of gas in. Maybe you think your mileage is down, but you really are not measuring the gallons per fill-up accurately without venting.

SignalTDI

TDI
2006 TDI, 5 spd manual
What do you mean 'vent'? Should I just use a finger to push open the flap at the opening of the tank? If that's it, doesn't the nozzle do that (after all it's not a perfect fit)?

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Based on your MPG posted, I would have to say that it would increase. But remember, don't sacrifice a good break in for a few MPG.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
rommelrick said:
My only problem is I run castrol TXT 505.01 oil.
That's not a problem.

On my last oil change after only 4,300 mile the oil came out as thick as molasses why?
"Thick" as in viscous or very resistant to pouring or "thick" as in very dark black? The oil turns black as coal in no time at all. Don't worry about that, the 505.01 oils are engineered to handle that. If it was very viscous, did you warm the engine up fully before changing the oil? 5W-40 oil is fairly thick, compared to most passenger car oils.

isin't this the oil vw recomends for pd engines?
Yes. In Europe, VWAG also allows for 506.01 & 507.00 compliant oils, which are closer to a 0W-30 instead of 505.01's 5W-40 and are usually good for a few extra mpg and extended drain intervals. Unfortunately 506.01/507.00 oils are very expensive in the US, usually 2 - 3x as much.

Should I start running something else?
No. Use 505.01. Castrol TXT is a fine oil and relatively inexpensive, even at a stealership's parts department. My local place charges $6/liter which is perhaps only $0.50/liter more than any name-brand synthetic motor oil at any local parts store.

Next time try getting the car good and hot for a while before changing the oil and stick to the 5k/10k/20k/30k etc mile oil change schedule. Changing the oil more often won't do anything but drain your wallet. The 10k mile oil change interval is very conservative as is.

scurvy

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
SignalTDI said:
I too have a new 2006 TDI. Mine is a manual transmission. I have had it for only two weeks, but I have put about 1,700 miles on it so far. Obviously, there are a lot of highway miles in that. I am a little disappointed in the 41-43 mpg I have been getting.
41 - 43 mpg is about the same as I'm getting in my 2006 Golf with 6500 miles on it. This is normal. Monitor your fuel economy for the first 15 - 30k but don't worry about it unless it has huge dips.

I have a friend with a 2003 TDI, and he gets close to 50 mpg with mostly Atlanta commuting miles. Here's the question: Am I missing something? Why is my mileage not at least in the middle to upper 40s?
Atlanta is much flatter than Chattown. I lived near Atlanta for 19 years and lived in the city for 5. I've also been to C-town a thousand times. Your mileage is fine. His car has 3 years of miles on it and is probably broken in (60k+ miles) and he has the MkIII body style with the VE-pump engine. That combination automatically gets better fuel economy than the MkIV/MkV w/PD engine VWs.

I've found aggressive driving to have a greater impact on my fuel economy than anything else - ambient temp, tire inflation, winter v summer fuel, d2 v b5, etc. My normal fuel economy is right around 43 mpg with a high of 47 mpg. That tank saw mostly higher temperatures and 60 mph cruising on the interstate with my usual ~20% city driving.

In short: keep track of your fuel economy. You should see a slow rising trend. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.

scurvy