"recall" notice

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
\"recall\" notice

Grumble.....So I get a recall notice (a seemingly official post card in the mail) on my car (a 2001 golf TDI.... 800 number to call for details....After dialing many times and finally getting through its a sales pitch for an extended warrentee...What a joke. Makes me angry. Isn't a product/service I have interst in...Did everyone and their uncle get this same card? Is this old news?
Rob M Concord MA

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
\"recall\" notice

There was no specifically involved....That's what made me angry....The card said important recall info. Call 1-800-blah blah blah for details on your car. It refferred to my year and make and model I forget if it went so far as to include a vin.....I think the card came from Florida or something. Rob M Concord, MA

tditone

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-dr, Reflex Silver
\"recall\" notice

I think I got that same card in the mail... not for my TDI, but for my old 2001 Jetta 2.0L. It seemed sketchy, so I didn't call... I figured if it was important, I'd get a real letter from VW, not a number to call. Now I'm glad I didn't take the bait! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Tone

mgrusin

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 4-door Golf TDI (PD)
\"recall\" notice

DEAR,

I AM JAMES TAMBA GUEI FROM COTE 'IVOIRE,THE SON OF THE LATE GENERAL ROBERT GUEI THE FORMER HEAD OF STATE OF REPUBLIC OF COTE D' IVOIRE,WHO WAS ASSASSINATED BY THE LOYAL TROOP OF PRESIDENT LAURENT GBAGBO,DURING THE SEPTEMBER MILITARY UP RISING, BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT TROOP AND THE MUTINY SOLDIERS FIGHTING TO OVER COME THE GOVERNMENT OF PRESIDENT LAURENT GBAGBO ON THE BLACK SEPTEMBER,IN WHICH MY MOTHER WAS MURDERED ALONG WITH HER GRAND CHILDRENS,BY THE ODIOUS POLITICAL ENEMIES OF MY FATHER. IN DUE TO THIS DEVELOPMENT,I WRITE TO SOLICIT YOUR ASSISTANCE TO EFFECT THE TRANSFER THE SUM OF($46.400.000) FORTY SIX MILLION FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND USD INTO YOUR ACCOUNT FOR INVESTMENT,AND SETTLE IN YOUR COUNTRY WITH YOUR PROFESSIONAL ADVISE.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

freewheel

TDI
'15 Golf Hatch SEL (wife's); '15 GSW SEL (me)
\"recall\" notice

Sounds like someone bought/got a car registration list from the Massachusetts DMV, and is now using a "scare scam" [false statement about a recall] to generate calls in an attempt to sell you an extended warranty. (Would VWoA sell a customer list? For quality control reasons, VWoA probably prefers to irritate customers directly and not through a third party. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif ) If you're really, really irritated try and find out if the state does make motor vehicle registration information available as part of the public record. If they do, then complain to the DMV and the State Attorney General about the information being used as part of a scare scam. Knowing Massachusetts, nobody will care. But maybe you'll feel a little better. Anyway, in order to prevent "stalking" etc., I think alot of information like names and addresses are no longer available as public information from the DMV out here in Whizconsin. (FWIW, I lived in the Boston area for 15 years. Left there 15 years ago. But I do still miss the place!)

Roundy47

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta white
\"recall\" notice

No, it's not just Massachusetts. I got the same thing a few months back here in Wisconsin, recognized it as a scam, and pitched it. But I hate to think of how many people may have gotten sucked in by that outfit. If they use marketing tactics like that, you can imagine how wonderful their warranty claim service will be......

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
\"recall\" notice

I got the same card the other day and called on it. I was curious more than anything since I already pay attention to recalls and non-recalled problems through this website.

I didn't sit through a long sales pitch. The guy asked me if I wanted to buy an extended warranty. I said no and he said okay and I hung up.

freewheel

TDI
\"recall\" notice

Roundy - Sorry to hear you got one of those in Wisconsin. Like I said, I'm pretty sure your average person can't walk in off the street and get personal information about anyone from the DMV out here. But maybe if you certify that you're running a scam - for business purposes, mind you - the DMV will give out names, addresses, VIN's, or whatever. Anyway, perhaps it IS VWoA that's selling lists to, as they always say in the fine print, "select businesses whose products or services we feel may be of interest to our customers."

Hum ... I wonder if that place in Florida is covering the MAF sensor beyond 70,000 miles?? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
\"recall\" notice

I too called (as previously stated - mostly out of curiosity) and declined after about 10 seconds. The frustrating thing was that it took several tries to get past a busy signal. They must be generating some business if the freakin' phone is all backed up....

BatmanMN_M

Veteran Member
TDI
gls 2003 black
\"recall\" notice

i havnt gotton that, but i have gotton a shxtload of stuff in the mail offering extended warrenties, im kindof ticked off, i mean i spent 19k now vw has made more money selling my address with car info, really bugs me, if i would have known this i would have asked the dealer if there was anyway to not get my name/address out there

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
\"recall\" notice

I have gotten the same card at least twice, not for my TDI, but for my wife's Acura MDX. And I am in NY. So it seems to not be a single state or a single car brand.

freewheel

TDI
\"recall\" notice

Sometimes it's the little things that bother me.

So there I am, sticking up for the State of Wisconsin, when in fact Whizconsin is doing me no favors. One phone call and about a half hour online reading the Wisconsin statutes, and here's what I learned. (The following is what is true in Wisconsin, but the person I talked to at the Wisc. DOT told me that since a mid-'90's Federal law, all the states have become pretty similar.)

1) The State must give out lists of information (name, address, VIN's, etc.) when there is a request. 2) By filling out a form, an individual can opt out of being included on any requested list that will contain 10 or more names. 3) Even if you full out the form, you can't keep your name off of any list requested by an "insuror authorized to write property ... insurance in this state." 4) Even if you fill out the form, you can't keep your name off any list requested " for use in the conduct of a vehicle recall." And 5) there is a fine of up to $500 (WOW!) for obtaining a list fraudulently.

Gee, I thought it would be harder for them than that to get my name and address. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
\"recall\" notice

For automotive safety recalls (USDOT...my beloved employer...) click on here.

I spotted the ABS control circuit recall on that page three-plus months prior to the arrival here of VW's notification letter.

Good data.