Euro towbars / hitches

Moleman76

TDI
2005 (B5.5) Passat Wagon
Seeking comments from those who have installed either Westfalia or Bosal hitches.
My vehicle: 2005, B5.5, Wagon, FWD.
I’ve been doing some looking – would like to add a hitch, and like the invisibility of the “euro” hitches.

I’ve found a domestic seller of the Bosal hitches: IDParts, $389 plus $20 shipping surcharge + $60 if you buy their “optional safety chain ring” to have welded on to the bottom of the swan neck.
https://www.idparts.com/bosal-swan-n...55-p-5909.html

And, PF Jones in the UK, mentioned above, sells the same (by part number) Bosal hitch, as well as Westfalia. Note that their $306.44 price includes 20% VAT, which they will take off if you ask (since it’s being shipped out of the EU), but shipping is 100 GBP, or about $133.
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/volkswagen...le-towbar.html

PF Jones also has downloadable pdfs of the installation instructions. The Bosal ones are diagrammatic pictures, clearer than Westfalia’s “remove bumper” directions. However, in the Westfalia directions, it says that one needs to install a foam insert, VW part 3B9807251A, into the bumper before re-installing. I found that part on-line here in the USA, about $40 including shipping – but the VW parts place’s listing seems to say it’s for Passat Variants up to 2001 (i.e., B5 vintage) – no mention of the B5.5 years.
IDParts says their Bosal 050-033 hitch is good for up to 1500 kg.
PF Jones says theirs (same part number) is good for up to 2000 kg.
PF Jones says their Westfalia FWD hitch is rated for up to 1800 kg, their Westfalia 4Motion hitch for 2200 kg.

Questions:
Are there really any significant differences between the hitches? Yes, the Westfalia ones look a bit nicer, but it’s all hidden under the vehicle. Even 1500 kg x 2.2 = 3300 pounds is more than my utility trailer is rated for.
Is the foam insert needed for a B5.5, 2005?
There is a piece of rather-thick looking plate steel, with a decent-sized hole in it, on the Bosal unit between the mount for the wiring, and the insert point for the swan-neck hitch. Can any Bosal owners comment on use of that hole for safety chains? Perhaps to place an industrial-strength carabiner into, for chains?
And, what about the “give us $60 and weld this on” concept from IDParts? Bosal’s instructions say to only use approved accessories, Westfalia says “don’t alter our stuff in any way” -

Last edited:

Moleman76

TDI
2005 (B5.5) Passat Wagon
thanks, otty. I'd seen your thread and have seen similar ones, but would rather skip the visible side plates. However, if someone came out with something like that that had a 2" square receiver slid into the middle, I might be able to bend my appearance standards a bit. Witter, Brink, and Westfalia make similar ones with the bolt-on design.