2005.5 MK5 BRM starting problems.

tkerrigan

TDI
Jetta 05.5 Silver Reflex DSG
I would appreciate any help with this problem. The car has 195,000 miles on it. If I let the car sit for 3 weeks it takes 3 15 second starter runs before it finally takes off. If it sits for just a couple of days it takes off right away. Will this car run without the fuel supply pump running? Could there be a bad check valve allowing fuel to return to the tank? I tried turning the key on and waiting to see if it would pump up, but I'm hard of hearing so don't know if the fact that I didn't hear a pump means anything or not. Again any help is appreciated greatly.
Regards, Tom

Last edited:

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Use a multimeter to check for voltage on the lift pump.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
It might be easiest to simply ask someone with good hearing to see if they hear the lift pump turn on when you turn on the ignition. Alternatively, turn on the voice recorder on your cell phone and leave it in the back seat while you turn on the ignition. Upload the recorded file to your computer and play it very loud.

tkerrigan

TDI
Good ideas, does anybody know for sure if it will run without the pump via suction?
Regards, Tom

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lift pumps in PDs are strange. Strange in that I have had them towed in the shop that died while driving down the road. I have had them towed into the shop when they were driving OK but would not restart after sitting. I have had them driven into the shop with long crank/hard start complaints. I have had them driven in to the shop with no complaints whatsoever and only found out the lift pump was dead after the fuel filter was replaced and I could not get it primed and could not get it to start. I have also replaced a few that were crazy noisy but had no other issues.

So to answer your question: will it run without the lift pump? Maybe, maybe not. Sorry that is not much help BUT it is pretty easy to hear them, although the A5 is a little more effort to get the back seat bottom up (A4s are easy).

tkerrigan

TDI
I will get a lift pump coming today, exactly the symptoms I have. Of course the fuel tank is full so will have to wait a month or two before replacing. Til then I will start it every week. Thank you everybody. Regards, Tom

oilhammer

TDI
Why do you think you need to wait to replace it? Doesn't make much difference if the tank is full or not really. Maybe a little less possible mess if it is less than half tank I guess.

tkerrigan

TDI
Just the fuel level, I have a 4 post hoist and a tall hydraulic transmission jack so if it's 3/4 or below I will do it. I only drive the car once or twice a month. Regards, Tom

Last edited:

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
Just the fuel level, I have a 4 post hoist and a tall hydraulic transmission jack so if it's 3/4 or below I will do it. I only drive the car once or twice a month. Regards, Tom
Full stop on this project until you get a manual. Read what oilhammer posted.
........ the A5 is a little more effort to get the back seat bottom up ......

tkerrigan

TDI
Thanks for mentioning oihammer, I couldn't follow the link but I youtubed it. Much easier than lowering it from the bottom if that can even be done. Regards, Tom

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, the only Volkswagens I know of that require a tank to be dropped to get at a fuel pump is.... well.... none of them. ;)

tkerrigan

TDI
I'll pull the seat soon and make sure the pump is getting voltage before I order a new pump. Regards, Tom

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have an idea, use it more often. Sell it if you're gonna let it sit for weeks at a time.

tkerrigan

TDI
I have to drive 70miles to Portland, OR once a month or so and drive my disabled sister to many places in Portland. I'm not going to use my new car for that, I'm not a city dweller so the driving is stressful. Also my disabled step-son uses it to go to the VA hospital occasionally. An extra car does come in handy every now and then. When and if I get my Elio I will consider selling it. Regards, Tom

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
So I have followed this thread for awhile and perhaps can contribute possibly a least bad suggestion. Turning the ignition on but without turning it all the way makes the lift pump activated briefly. So if you have not started the car for an extended period, simply turn the ignition switch on and off a few times before turning it to engage the starter. If it starts quickly after this procedure, your problem is solved, no matter what the actual underlying cause. If this does not work, follow through with the other likely solutions presented.