The TDI is getting parked for a while...any advice?

Nitejav

Veteran Member
TDI
NiteJav
Going back to school in less then a week. Jetta is gonna get parked in the corner of my driveway and really won't be moved till November atleast....Any advice???....One of my parents may go out and start it from time to time, but do you have any other suggestions...I have a car cover for it too, so the paint is protected....Should i cover anything on the underside to prevent a rodent invasion? If so where?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
get your self one of those solar battery chargers to keep the battery up.

It would be a good idea to fill the tank before you park it. Cuts down on condensation.

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
VeeDub is right. If they start it up, they should warm it up fully. The worst thing to do is to start it up for a couple of minutes and switch off. If it's a manual and it's left for longer than a month it's a good idea to put it in gear too (while it's running) and take up the slack a couple of times to keep the clutch from sticking to the flywheel. That usually happens only after 4-6 months and it means that you won't be able get into gear at all. The best thing is to get someone trustworthy to drive the car once a month for 5 or 6 miles or more every month.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
If nobody is available to drive the car once & awhile...then....
weedeater
...get your self one of those solar battery chargers to keep the battery up.

It would be a good idea to fill the tank before you park it. Cuts down on condensation.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You can buy one of those solar battery chargers at... Harbor Freight for $10

P/N 44768-2HWB

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It should be fine for a few months. If your parents go out and start it, make sure to tell them to let it warm up for a minute, and then to drive it for 15 - 20 minutes. That should keep everything in good shape.

BlueAutoGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
I parked mine for almost a year. Battery and tires were fine. I had disconnected the battery and it was parked outdoors with a cover. A couple of months? relax.