JB weld vs hatch strut

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
You could try it, not a whole lot of downside besides the aesthetics.

Given the amount of force on that component, I would weld it. If you can't weld, you could probably pay someone to weld it for maybe $50. Consider it to be a plan B.

Alternately, you could drill through the D-pillar from the inside and back it up with a nut. I did this, but keep in mind that you need a really big hole to fit a nut through the inside and the metal in that pillar is remarkably thick.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
What exactly is that part? There is a ball that gets scrrwed I to the pillar, the. The strut has a socket that presses onto the ball. Is that the threaded insert that rests in the frame? What happened? I've had those ball ends loosen up a couple times and Ive had to snug them down a couple of times.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Welding would be plan C.
Plan A was to use a nutsert. After drilling with the
appropriate drill bit and too much speed and no lube I wound up with something other than the 17/32 hole I was expecting. By the way I would of had to go into more metal for the nusert to sit properly.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
The part in the picture is something I found at the hardware store. The M8 x 1.25 ball will get screwed into it. The captive nut is no longer captive. Last year the strut snapped off by being too loose or already off and got sheared by the weight of the hatch coming down on it. I think this has cured me to look at these every once in a while.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
No need to over think this. How about the right length stick to hold the hatch up. It would work great until the new strut comes in.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I dare not change those ball type fasteners since one of the nutserts feels loose, but I can still tighten them. I cannot see any way of reinstalling them on my Golf, unless the head liner has to come off. Going in the D pillar from the top?

weelsey

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
was in there today with the same problem. Where does that darn nut fall to? Welding the ball place sounds like the ticket. But a guy (or gal) could almost stick a nut to a wire and get it up in place through a little hole that in the pillar...

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
was in there today with the same problem. Where does that darn nut fall to? Welding the ball place sounds like the ticket. But a guy (or gal) could almost stick a nut to a wire and get it up in place through a little hole that in the pillar...
It falls into the abyss of the D pillar.
I'm no welder but it seems like there wouldn't be enough meat to weld the ball to the outer part of the D pillar. Even if it did hold at first the stress of operating the strut would make the weld fail.

weelsey

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
the weld fail
Agreed.
What do you think about tacking rebar tie wire to a self-locking nut and trying to fish it into alignment through the pillar hole to thread?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you have a new strut on order just cut a piece of wood to length and keep it in the back to prop the hatch. No modifications that you'll regret later required. And the best part, it's cheap and easy.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Welder came today. Ground off JB weld. Welded a nut like I showed earlier on the face of the D pillar. New struts from AA Rodriguez now only does the hatch go up, it wants to. You barely have to pull up on it. Pic to come later

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
The guy has 3 years experience. I wonder what they looked like the first year?
Need I paint this work of art? Not for aesthetics but rust.

weelsey

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Oooh, the feeling of satisfaction a working tailgate gives... throw that stick away! I have a success story to share also. I went fishing down the pillar with a household wiring copper wire.. and low and behold, fished up the nut! I spent the next couple hours trying to hold it in place while attempting to thread the ball into it. After lots of unsuccessful attempts and fishing, it finally took and I was able to tighten the bolt with it's own clamping force alone. Hurray! Sorry, no pics. but it did work. Believe me!