Timing Belt from Dealer, how many miles?

00Jetta00

TDI
2000 Jetta
Thanks guys on vacation now but will report back. I used he tdi setup, pulled the sprocket
The timing mark after 2 rotations wasn't in window with locks in

Had to take the timing pin out to line up timing mark and cam

00Jetta00

TDI
2000 Jetta
So I'm going to work on this a little tonight...Here's my steps if this sounds right.

belt is off
Lock Cam with tool
Pin Injection Pump
Line up timing mark
Put belt back on
loosen IP bolts
Check to make sure timing mark is still TDC
(IF mark is TDC, then proceed)
tension belt
check TDC again
Remove locks, rotate engine by hand 2 times after tightening things up
Try to put locks back in and check timing?

Sound correct?

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
So I'm going to work on this a little tonight...Here's my steps if this sounds right.

belt is off
Loosen cam sprocket from cam
Lock Cam with tool
Pin Injection Pump
Line up timing mark
Put belt back on
loosen IP bolts
Tighten cam sprocket retaining bolt
tension belt
check TDC again

Sound correct?
Did you carefully read through, understand and follow the pdf I posted above??

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Most people recognize that a timing belt has a mileage limit, but do not know it has a TIME limit of 5 years.
Wrong, there has never been a "5 Year TIME limit" on TDI timing belts other than for inventory purposes at the dealership level.

TDI timing belts DO NOT USE "Rubber" but are completely synthetic compounds that do not oxidize like traditional rubber compounds.

TDI timing belt s REMAIN Mileage limited, and wear is a generally limited to side wear from centering on the pulley system.

The teeth of the belt and the non stretch internal chords (Kevlar) make "Stretching" a virtual impossibility.

Timing belt life can be greatly reduced by allowing "Road Debris" to get into the timing belt enclosure, this causes indentations in the belt and physical damage to the teeth which weakens the belt.

Cleanliness is paramount to a timing belts life!

Again, MILEAGE remains the ONLY limitation to service life.

VW at one time or another chose to limit shelf life to 5 years due to eliminating parts that may be superseded and subjected to updates and refined designs. This was to reduce the probability of old parts intermixing when superseded and newer designs being called for.

Gates has a good read on timing belts:

http://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...tomotive/timingbeltreplacementguide.pdf?la=en

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
belt is off
Lock Cam with tool
LOOSEN CAM SPROCKET
Pin Injection Pump
Line up timing mark
Put belt back on
loosen IP bolts

TIGHTEN CAM BOLT AND IP BOLTS
tension belt
check TDC again
Sound correct?
Uh, swap these two.
And add these two

Jason

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Wrong, there has never been a "5 Year TIME limit" on TDI timing belts other than for inventory purposes at the dealership level.

Again, MILEAGE remains the ONLY limitation to service life.

VW at one time or another chose to limit shelf life to 5 years due to eliminating parts that may be superseded and subjected to updates and refined designs. This was to reduce the probability of old parts intermixing when superseded and newer designs being called for.

Gates has a good read on timing belts:

http://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...tomotive/timingbeltreplacementguide.pdf?la=en

I'm not sure why it's there, but the linked Gates guide has a recommendation on the very front cover stating:
"Avoid Costly Engine Damage; Change Your Timing Belt At The Recommended Interval Or Every 72 Months,Which Ever Comes First."

They don't appear to give any rationale for the statement, and I didn't see anything in the actual manufacturer's (VW) recommended interval related to time, only mileages.

Personally, I'm going purely by mileage.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Mike Hevner, hevster1 on the forums is in Montague New Jersey. His work is excellent, and his prices are reasonable.

Slightly off topic but...

I also have a TB job to do on my recently purchased 2005 Golf TDI (95K miles), and disappointing as it sounds, no DIY kits for me. I need someone with guru skills to do this job right. My local VW dealer has looked at the job but, as you can imagine, it's pricey and from what I have read on this site, there's a lot that can go wrong if the job is not done 100% right. I am looking for solid recommendations for someone in the Mid-Atlantic east coast area who specializes in this type of work. Any tips on what to look for when hiring someone would also be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Margaret

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I have seen a couple gas engine timing belts fail before mileage recommendation. And a few TDI belts, but those were mostly contaminated belt oil and/or coolant.

Still a good idea if the engine is question is 8 or 10 years with same belt to consider replacing.

Jason

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
.........................Again, MILEAGE remains the ONLY limitation to service life.................................QUOTE]
Been saying this for years, no one wants to hear it.
Materials have really improved over the years. When I started driving, cars with 100k miles would usually use oil. Now they're just broke in at that age. Just one of many examples.

00Jetta00

TDI
2000 Jetta
Alright....

Got it! Not sure what step I was doing wrong before, but frustration was definitely the key to problems last time.

I went back and did the steps, turned it over twice and was able to pin the IP, lock cam and timing mark was dead on.
I didn't get a chance to do anything more as I had to go so I will work on finishing it up sunday afternoon. Thanks for the help

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I find that sometimes taking a break for a while before trying again helps the most. Glad it worked out for you.

Jason

00Jetta00

TDI
2000 Jetta
Alright so it's up and running, timed correctly and IQ settings correct for the DLC1019.

ONLY issue right now is I vacuum lines....
the jack let down over night all pulled/stressed some lines. It also broke the bracket for what I think is the N239 valve. Not quite sure where that goes.

Anyways it appears to run great, BUT I get a whistle, which happens on boost so I'm almost positive I either have a hose off, or something with a hole in it.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
So I got this with my car when I bought it..... This is impossibly a pretty reputable TDI shop. The PO said this work was done in 2013. mileage is 118k on the receipt.....car has 169k on it now Think I should be OK to keep driving for awhile?

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
They changed the crank bolt. Sounds like it was a fairly complete job with the antifreeze and all. But with out knowing all the details of it it's really hard to say. May be worth a call to that shop and see if they remember doing it.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a solid idea.... thank you! PS..... Sorry for the hi-jack

They changed the crank bolt. Sounds like it was a fairly complete job with the antifreeze and all. But with out knowing all the details of it it's really hard to say. May be worth a call to that shop and see if they remember doing it.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know..... I searched the shop on google, found the website but didnt know anyone around where I live that knew their reputation. Thanks for the info. Makes me feel better. They guy I bought the car from always took the car there for service and repairs.

Should have google searched the club for the shop name.
http://www.metalmanparts.com
Dennis is legit

00Jetta00

TDI
2000 Jetta
Found the noise, EGR bolt on cooler was loose. Tightened up and noise gone.

Now on to next maintenance...

Suspension....