Amateur (ham) Radio in a TDI

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Big upgrades lately!

As I use my ham radios more, I find myself needing to start and idle the engine to keep the starter battery charged. A few times this year, I have accidentally left something running overnight and came out to a dead car. OOPS! BTW, this SuperCap 2 jump starter is awesome! It doesn't require charging for storage and can charge when needed from a battery that has at least some voltage on it (it'll take a while, though). I used a different 12V source to charge the SuperCap2 and then started the car with little fanfare. I shared my first use of this device in this video. I carry it full-time now and will probably get one for each of my other cars. It's more compact than jumper cables and can allow you to jump-start without a second vehicle.

Anyway, my local ham radio club announced a class where they would do a "group build" session for 100-Ah LiFePo4 batteries, a popular power option for hams and Van Lifers. I jumped on the opportunity! We ordered the battery cells, 120-amp battery management system (BMS), and other components several months ago, then scheduled the build session when the parts finally arrived. The battery cells are by Fortune and the BMS came from "RadioB." In short, the completed battery can charge or discharge at 120 amps! I could even opt to upgrade the BMS and discharge at up to 200 amps someday. I don't have a need for that kind out output right now. But I could someday. :oops:

Here are some photos from the build:

Most of the group built their battery in a plastic ammo box...

I needed my battery to fit in a shorter space; so, I arranged mine in a "2x2" fashion to fit in this box...

Here's the build...

After the build, I removed the battery from the box so that I could paint it black...

Here's the box with paint...

I use a DC-DC converter to charge the battery and to protect the alternator from excessive charging current...

I have it mounted separately from the battery box...

It's a 30-amp charger that usually starts around 27 amps and then settles around 21A...

Here's a functional block diagram of what I have going on back there...

And here's the majority of the hidden equipment with the floors removed...

WHY am I doing this to a GTI? Well, I still thoroughly enjoy driving it and would not want to install this stuff in something "better-suited," only to wish I was driving my GTI when I happened to be out doing ham radio stuff. :p Yes, I could have done this to a Golf, but I wanted the extras that came with the GTI!

It's okay to call me crazy! I'll own that! :sneaky:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sure you're crazy, but it's always nice to see someone leverage new technology to old. Beats he!! out of a cell phone!

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
Looks great @Stealth TDI ! Very well organized and finished.

I bought a new Kenwood TM-D710G that I need to install in my Passat..someday!

Thanks for sharing the build and installation pics!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Thanks, @bustNfuel ! I quickly decided to move the Orion DC-DC Charger for better ventilation. It now sits in a more visible, but better-breathing spot:

I find myself itching to upgrade my HF radio. I like the IC-7100, but not its bulky display unit. I like the larger display of the FT-891, but not its lack of VHF/UHF. Ironically, I don't use VHF/UHF on my FT-857D, but I'd feel like I'm "losing" something if I switch. HAHA! The FT-891 is said to have far better receiver processing than the FT-857D. Oddly enough, I think that being able to hear better will just result in me hearing more stations that I cannot reach due to the limitations of a mobile antenna. Maybe my money is better spent on an ASR-500M 500-watt amplifier? The irony there is that could give me a louder voice, but unable to hear better. LOL! Decisions, decisions!