Issue: Long trip in the JSW

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Drove home from a work trip the last couple of days (1,200 miles) and I've got an issue.

The car ran great and I've got nothing to complain about.

She really really likes going fast. Cruising at 80 or so is a dream.

That's all!

Averaged 39.8 mpg 2010 JSW MT with new tires BFG and a wee bit of a lift. I'm sure if I had gone nearer to the speed limit, I would have gotten 42+

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
I did a trip from CT to CO last November with a friend in my 2011 Golf TDI, almost 4000 miles, and it was an absolute dream. I don't remember the precise MPG calculations, but it was low 40's... amazing.

Sure, one of the tires exploded at 70 MPH, but she rumbled calmly to a stop. They were nearing the end of the their life and I was going to replace them after the trip anyway, I just did it a bit sooner in Indiana.

A tire on a box truck in front of me exploded at 70 mph with the tire rubber obliterating the lower grille, fog lights and puncturing the condenser (just means we opened the windows for our AC).

But man, the Golf sure held up well through every mile of that road trip even with the damage and 115,000 miles under its belt. 10/10, would do it again

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I am getting ready to do it again. Heading to my daughter's in a few weeks to play grandpa. Round trip with running around there will be about 1300 miles. Highway mileage should be low 40s, if I keep her below 75. This car has a real sweet spot and gets best interstate mileage around 73. I know I'll end up with about 500 miles of state roads with stops and lower speeds that will drop mileage. Haven't decided if we're taking the bikes yet so that may also lower mileage a bit.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
This being my first long distance trip w/ the car, I was amazed by how long you can go between fill ups.

Good luck w/ the trip kjclow!

"A tire on a box truck in front of me exploded at 70 mph with the tire rubber obliterating the lower grille, fog lights and puncturing the condenser (just means we opened the windows for our AC). "

That sounds like it set ya back a few bucks!

jekl843

TDI
This being my first long distance trip w/ the car, I was amazed by how long you can go between fill ups.

"A tire on a box truck in front of me exploded at 70 mph with the tire rubber obliterating the lower grille, fog lights and puncturing the condenser (just means we opened the windows for our AC). "

That sounds like it set ya back a few bucks!
I couldn't believe the distance between fill-ups either, easily 500+ miles. The diesel was built for long distance cruising.

I didn't do any repairs except replace the grille as luckily the bumper was still largely intact, the plastic grille had just shattered into a hundred pieces and one of them punctured the condenser. I would have replaced the condenser and fog lights had I not chosen to have her bought back. Between the time of that incident and the buyback she was my ultimate beater car... I miss her :(

Next to see how the 2017 GTI SE handles a long road trip :D Certainly will be saying hello to more fueling stations :p

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

Thanks.

I try to refuel between 450 and 500. That depends mostly on where I am and how much diesel is in the area. Ohio is pretty expensive compared to Indiana or West Virgina. Going 500+ miles is nothing new based on other vehicles I've had but what is unusual is that you can do it on about 14 gallons.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I drove back and forth from Philadelphia to the Iowa/Illinois border. It was about 900 miles each way (1,800 roundtrip). I drove out on Friday and then drove back home on Sunday, approximately 13 hours each way. My car performed magnificently on the trip, was quite comfortable, and I had the luxury of the OEM RNS-510 with navigation and Sirius for uninterrupted music or whatever else I wanted to listen to during my trip

On the way back I averaged 70 mph for the entire trip and the MFD indicated 44 mpg. That's not bad! I filled with fuel the night before then stopped once at about 600 miles into the trip to refuel. When I got home I still had a half tank of fuel! On the way out I was averaging 73 mph for the first 9 hours, but then I hit road construction around Chicago that turned the highway into a parking lot for a couple of hours.

My 2010 Golf TDI really is a great little car! That's why I got a CP3 HPFP installed. I'm planning to keep my car for as long as I can. I'm at 145K miles at the moment.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
the JSW is an awesome LONG road trip car. Drove to Florida, Delaware and the Outer Banks (on three separate trips). sadly, have not done any long road trips lately. Ought to do one to Nova Scotia soon. you've inspired me.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
the JSW is an awesome LONG road trip car. Drove to Florida, Delaware and the Outer Banks (on three separate trips). sadly, have not done any long road trips lately. Ought to do one to Nova Scotia soon. you've inspired me.
Nova Scotia? Sounds like a trip for the summer time!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got to love that Chicago traffic! Where did you go on the Iowa/Illinois boarder? I grew up in Davenport.

My longest trip in the JSW has been from Charlotte to Des Moines, Iowa but not all in one day. Last time I stopped for about a week in South Bend, a week in Iowa City while we rode our bikes across Iowa, and then a few days in Des Moines. Coming back we stopped for several days in South Bend. Have to love working for a company long enough to get 5 weeks of vacation.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Got to love that Chicago traffic! Where did you go on the Iowa/Illinois boarder? I grew up in Davenport.
My son was performing at the Timber Lake Playhouse in Mount Carrol IL. I stayed at a farmhouse B&B owned by a wonderful couple that support the theater. My son is an actor/singer, trying to make it as a professional. He's living in Chicago now and his first show opened to great reviews. It's sold out until it closes in May!

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Congrats to him for finding work in what he loves. My youngest graduates in a few weeks with a bfa in dance and will start looking for a troop soon.

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
There's definitely a sweet spot cruising speed between 70-80 mph depending on conditions. But I've noticed about the same fuel economy up until about 72mph+, then it seems to fall of a few mpg.

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
Drove the JSW from Portland, Or. to Seattle at speeds between 65 and 75, the indicated MPG was 49.5. I was tempted to keep driving north until I hit 50 MPG, but my wife is not quite as goal oriented or understanding.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
There's definitely a sweet spot cruising speed between 70-80 mph depending on conditions. But I've noticed about the same fuel economy up until about 72mph+, then it seems to fall of a few mpg.
I drive from southern York County PA to the D.C. metro every two to three days for work early in the AM before traffic. I set the cruise at 70mph and easily get 45-50mpg. Motor just sits happily at 2000-2200 rpm and offers plenty or torque to get over the hills without downshifting. I had to drive a gasser to NC for side job and I forgot how much petrol motors shift gears to get over hills and how much it kills fuel mileage.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
........Next to see how the 2017 GTI SE handles a long road trip :D Certainly will be saying hello to more fueling stations.........../QUOTE]

.....waiting to turn in my fuel efficient TDI 6M JSW. (Want to see VW's 2018 line).

Your GTI has the capability for damn good fuel numbers - - - over on vw vortex, I saw a post of 41 MPG for a highway trip.

Hope you post your upcoming trip mpg!!

best, ez

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
Motor just sits happily at 2000-2200 rpm and offers plenty or torque to get over the hills.

This was most surprising to me!

Keeping it under 70 seems to be the best way to get 40+mpg.

Find me another vehicle that does that!

jekl843

TDI
........Next to see how the 2017 GTI SE handles a long road trip :D Certainly will be saying hello to more fueling stations.........../QUOTE]
.....waiting to turn in my fuel efficient TDI 6M JSW. (Want to see VW's 2018 line).
Your GTI has the capability for damn good fuel numbers - - - over on vw vortex, I saw a post of 41 MPG for a highway trip.
Hope you post your upcoming trip mpg!!
best, ez
Thanks Ez, I'm hoping so! I'm planning on going from Connecticut to Montreal this May with a friend and will try to post for those curious in the GTI. So far in 3000 miles with 30% city/70% highway I've been seeing consistent +/- 30 MPG.

The problem is the car BEGS you to step on it and I just feel terrible when I don't give her what she wants. And when she gets what she wants, she just guzzles that fuel so much so that I actually notice the fuel gauge dropping.

Even when I thrashed the TDI (and she was a bit of fun with APR Stage 1), I was still able to get decent MPG numbers and never saw that needle move.

I'm now very tempted to get MK4 TDI as my "beater" car. Owning a diesel is worse than being addicted to crack, you just keep wanting more!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....you know - now that I think about it - the crack addiction analogy ain't that far off.........

ez

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Ez, I'm hoping so! I'm planning on going from Connecticut to Montreal this May with a friend and will try to post for those curious in the GTI. So far in 3000 miles with 30% city/70% highway I've been seeing consistent +/- 30 MPG.
The problem is the car BEGS you to step on it and I just feel terrible when I don't give her what she wants. And when she gets what she wants, she just guzzles that fuel so much so that I actually notice the fuel gauge dropping.
Even when I thrashed the TDI (and she was a bit of fun with APR Stage 1), I was still able to get decent MPG numbers and never saw that needle move.
I'm now very tempted to get MK4 TDI as my "beater" car. Owning a diesel is worse than being addicted to crack, you just keep wanting more!
I'd wait a year or and pick up a 'factory reconditioned" MK6 TDI :p

I've driven a GTI only a couple of times and maan those cars are fun.

jekl843

TDI
I'd wait a year or and pick up a 'factory reconditioned" MK6 TDI :p
I've driven a GTI only a couple of times and maan those cars are fun.
That's a good idea Jess if I can just stave my TDI withdrawal that long!!

My bone stock GTI is boatloads of fun as is, I can only imagine what it'll do once I start modding and get a tune in her. I'm almost scared to... Her speed freaks me out so much already :p