Shell T6 in 2010 CJAA TDI

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Whats the word on using Shell's T6 5w40 in a 2010 Jetta TDI CJAA diesel?
Seems to me should be ok for the DPF as the T6 is now recommended for Dodge Eco-diesels I believe. Thanks.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I believe it reads so on the Shell site and would have to be if Dodge now recommends the T6 5w40 for the Ram Eco diesel which replaces a 5W30 oil. The Eco diesel was having lubrication problems with the 5W30 grade so now a 5W40 is to be used in place of a 5w30. I guess I sort of answered my own question after reading on it. I know my car calls for a 5W30 oil but was hoping someone would tune in on the T6 being a good choice and someone using instead of a 5W30. Wright now CT selling on sale 40 some bucks a 5 liter jug, about 6 $ off reg price. $40.00 is still a rip off price wise, but then again we north of the border have been getting ripped off since beginning of time for just about everything.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The Shell site doesn't refer to the T6 oil as a "low-SAPS" oil, but maybe I missed it.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
If it has a 507. spec written on the label it is acceptable oil pretty much regardless of brand or weight. I would prefer 0w/40 If I could get it for cold start protection.
If it does not meet 507. spec, the money you save now may seem like a pittance later when you reap the benefits of deviating from the manufacture's spec.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
The shell site says the T6 5w40 is Advanced low ash formulation. The T6 comes in 3 grades, 10w30,0w40 and 5w40. The 5w30 T6 is called T6 Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic. T6 5w40 is CK-4 SN, ACEA E6 JACO DH-2 and so on. All 3 are pretty much the same coverage, with some differences.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry, Mr. FXDL: comparing a Dodge Ecodiesel to a "micky mouse tdi" is, in fact, a Mickey Mouse comparison. Seriously.
If you've already made up your mind, why ask the question?

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Well I will take back the mickey mouse and in it's place say dirty diesel. No I haven't made up my mind, was just trying to get an educated answer on the T6 oils that Shell has. Comparing the two vehicles is not a mickey mouse comparison as both have pretty much the same pollution systems with the exception of the DEF in the Dodge compared to my 2010 anyways. Sorry Mr tdiatlast if I insulted your, mine our TDI's because they do deserve it after VW's BS. The fact you south of the border are getting a pretty good deal compared to us north. VW it self is Mickey Mouse and ripping us owners north off. Anyone that now asks me how I like my VW TDI I say stay away from VW's as they are_______. My son bought a Chevy Cruze diesel and I said back when don't buy a Chevy or VW diesel but he did and he is sorry now he did as they are crap too just like the TDI's. GM dealers don't have a clue when it comes to their diesels, they never did even back when I had one of their 5.7's and 6.2's. Nuff said, my 2 cents

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No insult at all. I never said VWoA was NOT a MM operation, did I? I was simply suggesting that comparing the DPF in a Dodge Cummins with the DPF in a 2l VW CRTDI is faulty. SIMILAR is not the same as identical. Very different design, vastly different capacity, which is probably why the 507 requirement is so stringent.
Sorry about your son's experience. Thanks for the single data point about the Chevy Cruze diesel.
We're all trying to do the same thing here: get the best value for our money, and the best reliability. I'm clearly going a very different route (and enjoying my $.02/mile fuel cost for our Leaf...as long as the trip is less than 75miles, r/t! HAHA!).

To answer your oil question though: search for the exact low-ash content that VAG requires to be 507 compliant. I think it's lower than the T6, but I may be wrong.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Has been for 10 years. As is all CJ4 oil.
Kevin, no, the 507.00 oils are lower SAPS compared to the current API oils. These products are not interchangeable with the VAG criteria.

From Shell:

Because the formulation requirements for North American diesel engines are considerably different than for European diesel engines like the VW TDI, it is not possible to make one product that would meet both sets of specifications. Therefore, our Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-40, which is intended primarily for the North American diesel engine market, won't ever be able to met the VW 507 00 specification. Further, since the primary marketing emphasis for our Shell Rotella oils is for heavy duty diesel engines, our marketing group has generally chosen not to make products in this line for the passenger car market.

We do, however, have products in our Pennzoil and Quaker State lines, where the emphasis is passenger cars, for your application. Pennzoil Ultra Euro L SAE 5W-30 and Quaker State Ultimate Durability European L SAE 5W-30 are certified to VW 507 00.

Thank you for your interest in Shell Lubricants!
Now, since FXDL's car is out of warranty, and he's feeling like a gambling man, what's the worse thing that could happen? DPF replacement? Worse?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dieseldorf: Do you have the SAPS numbers for comparison? I used to have them memorized, but since I'm moving away from VAG (for the time being!), I've mentally erased those numbers.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Unless your engine is consuming a lot of oil between changes, I don't see the harm in using the T6. Also, the Ram ecodiesel has a VM Motori engine, not Cummins. The CJ4 spec allows for up to 1% SAPS. Not sure about the new CK spec.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dieseldorf: Do you have the SAPS numbers for comparison? I used to have them memorized, but since I'm moving away from VAG (for the time being!), I've mentally erased those numbers.
I don't. Maybe Bob Fout or Ted??

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess when Shell says not to use it, that's good enough for me unless the car is out of warranty. Then I might follow a different course.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Kevin, no, the 507.00 oils are lower SAPS compared to the current API oils. These products are not interchangeable with the VAG criteria.

From Shell:

Now, since FXDL's car is out of warranty, and he's feeling like a gambling man, what's the worse thing that could happen? DPF replacement? Worse?
I didn't say the specs were interchangeable, I said T6 is low SAPS. It is. CJ4 spec oil is specifically for use in DPF equipped vehicles. Max allowable ash for CJ4 oil is 1%. VW507 oil specs a max allowable ash limit of 0.8%. It is up you to determine if that extra two hundredths of a percent of allowable ash will fill your DPF before it inevitably cracks.

Shell doesn't say don't use it, they say if you want something that meets 507 spec, we offer other brand oils that do.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Well second oil change using Shell T6 oil and out all the oils I have used so for, it seems that the engine is using the least amount of oil out of all that I have used before. In fact it gets to a level and just stays there, which is good.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Comparative ash level is 25% higher, i.e. 0.8% vs 1.0%

All things being equal, a higher ash oil will load up the DPF quicker. I'd expect oil consumption to be a bit lower with a 5w-40 vs a 5w-30 however.

SAPS limits for CK-4 are same as CK-4.

New CK-4 Spec has improved:

1) shear stability - less viscosity loss
2) oxidation stability - less thickening
3) aeration control - better performance in unit injector engines like Ford Powerstroke
4) cylinder scuffing wear protection to maintain compression

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Well second oil change using Shell T6 oil and out all the oils I have used so for, it seems that the engine is using the least amount of oil out of all that I have used before. In fact it gets to a level and just stays there, which is good.
Well, my second oil change using Ravenol VMP 5/30 507 the oil use is negligible as was the factory fill and dealer fill with 5/30 Castrol 507

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Romad,

I saw what you did there! Of course I meant CK-4, which represents a significant upgrade over CJ-4. The way to go for all motors Specing VW 505.00 or 505.01.

TS