HELP!! car shut off, wont start p1562 blinking glow plug light

TDI on LI

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
I was driving home from an errand about an hour ago and all of a sudden my car shut off on me while driving... 99.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed.

Tried to turn it back on... it will crank but will not start whatsoever.

I took off the fuel filter and it is not clogged... fuel lines have fuel in them...

I hooked up a scan tool and it gave me a p1562 while at the same time the glow plug light blinks.

7970/P1562/005474 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Reduced Power
  • Engine jerking
Possible Causes

• Fuse(s) faulty
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Quantity Adjuster (N146) faulty
  • Quantity Adjuster (N146) not adjusted
  • Quantity Adjuster (N146) blocked/faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Fuse(s)
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Quantity Adjuster (N146)
  • Check/Adjust Quantity Adjuster (N146)
  • Check/Replace Injection Pump
Which fuse would I check??? The ones on the side of the dash??? What else do I need to check?

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
quite

Check all you fuses, even the ones in engine compartment. Remove TB cover & check condition of TB. Replace Relay 109. Are you getting fuel to injectors? Crack line to injectors & check for diesel stream when cranking only AFTER you have checked the condition of the timing belt!

TDI on LI

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
No one around here carrys the Relay 109. I opened up the relay and it opens and closes fine with the key when starting... I'm not sure if it can still be defective...

The timing belt it still on tight. It doesnt look like there is any damage to it.

TDI on LI

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Tried to jump relay 109.. no success.

Originally glow plug light was blinking.. now it does not turn on at all.

kept checking and found 1 fuse was blown.. literally almost melted on the fuse panel over the battery. The first from the left green 30amp fuse was toast. replaced it and nothing. Maybe it melted something else in the wiring???

Does anyone know what that fuse is for?

Also now when I put the key in the on position before I even try to crank, the rpm needle shoots up to about 100rpm... odd.

Tried to put on a scan guage tool, it will not read anything on the odb2 port.

This is a freakin headache.

TDI on LI

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Sob still hasn't turned on. Any other input? I read the no start thread but no luck. Jumping the 109 relay caused the injector pump to start clicking. I took the cover off the 109 relay and plugged it in. I opens and closes fine when the ignition switch is turned on and off. Whether or not it is sending a signal is beyond me.
The glow plug light does not come on at all now. Just cranking and no fire. I'm trying to see what I can do, even if I get it running temporarily. The nearest guru is about 2 hours from me

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Does the engine light come on when you first turn on the key? if not, then the ECU isn't powering up, and it won't even try to start..

The glowplug light should come on briefly as well, pretty much the same thing if it doesn't, then the ECU isn't getting power..

Can you still communicate with VCDS?

the 3 green fuses on the battery are for the cooling fan and ABS, they won't have anything to do with the engine not starting..

Try messing with relay 109 with the key on, wiggle it around a little, sometimes the connections in the relay block get a little loose and even though the relay is good it still won't start..

I've had one single 99.5 with a bad ECU that was temperature related.. If the outside temp was above about 15*F the car wouldn't start, put the ECU in the freezer and it fired right up.. that one was weird..

Last edited:

TDI on LI

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
the glow plug light was briefly coming on Sunday when it first happened. Then it would immediately shut off the light. Now the glow plug light doesn't come on.

When it first happened I was able to communicate with the ecu. That's how I got that code. Now I cannot retrieve any codes. Apparently the ecu is not getting or sending any power at all.

Should I still go ahead and buy a 109 relay anyway and see if it works? Or something else?

the reason I asked about the fuses was one of them got cooked. It didn't blow the fuse, it burned one of the terminals on the fuse.

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
I feel for you brother. Living on LI and owning a TDI is tough. No mechanics. However, a fellow LI TDIer suggested that Jan's Euro Motors in Huntington knows something about TDIs. Give them a try.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
TDI on LI said:
the glow plug light was briefly coming on Sunday when it first happened. Then it would immediately shut off the light. Now the glow plug light doesn't come on.

When it first happened I was able to communicate with the ecu. That's how I got that code. Now I cannot retrieve any codes. Apparently the ecu is not getting or sending any power at all.

Should I still go ahead and buy a 109 relay anyway and see if it works? Or something else?

the reason I asked about the fuses was one of them got cooked. It didn't blow the fuse, it burned one of the terminals on the fuse.
it really sounds like it has something to do with the power supply.. See if you have power at fuse 32 and fuse 43 with the key on.. if you do, then relay 109 is coming on and providing power.. If not, then you either have a problem with relay 109 or the power feed to it.. It looks like it gets its power from the load reduction relay? ***? it shows position 2 on the relay panel..

TDI on LI

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
okay checked out the 2 fuses. fuse 32 was no good.. hence the no power. 43 was good. replaced 32 and now the glow plug light comes on momentarily when I turn the key to start and then turns off... then comes back on and blinks continually.

relay 109 seems to be working.

However... now I checked the codes again and the ecu is coming up fine... I get 2 codes...

the p1562 and p1563 both of which are very similar...injection pump problem. I'm gonna check the harness to make sure its getting power. How do I check the fuel sensor inside the pump to make sure it didn't take a dump on me?

Last edited:

TDI on LI

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Got a crack at it today. I managed to do a little hammer mod on it. It turned on twice for a few seconds and then sputtered to death. The third time it turned on for a little while and I tried to rev it a bit to keep it on but no luck.

I did notice the T fitting on the fuel filter is leaking. I took it off and it came apart. I dont know if thats what causing my no start but I know all the air in the lines is not helping... Now I gotta order a new t fitting from tdiparts and bleed the lines... hopefully I can figure something out.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Fuses on top of battery (the green ones)

TDI on LI said:
Tried to jump relay 109.. no success.

Originally glow plug light was blinking.. now it does not turn on at all.

kept checking and found 1 fuse was blown.. literally almost melted on the fuse panel over the battery. The first from the left green 30amp fuse was toast. replaced it and nothing. Maybe it melted something else in the wiring???

Does anyone know what that fuse is for?

The fuse you have described is for the fans out front on the rad! I've seen the same thing with a 99 NB. In fact, the fuse/holder got so hot it melted/burned really bad. I installed an in-line wedge fuse and wire to replace the OEM........ worked fine!

The other two green fuses (green 30 amp) are for the ABS system.

TDI on LI

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
AndyBees said:
The fuse you have described is for the fans out front on the rad! I've seen the same thing with a 99 NB. In fact, the fuse/holder got so hot it melted/burned really bad. I installed an in-line wedge fuse and wire to replace the OEM........ worked fine!

The other two green fuses (green 30 amp) are for the ABS system.
Thanks. Jason put me on to that. I didnt realize what they were but why the hell it would burn that fuse, I dont know. It started to melt the fuse holder like yours did.

TDI on LI

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
I replaced the fuel filter tee which was broken and was letting air into the air lines. I got most of the air out of the system. The clear fuel line is pretty clear and has no air in it.

But the car still wont start. And still giving me the p1562.

I'm beyond frustrated with this car. I'm guessing the injector pump is toast but I dont know. Is there any way to diagnose or anything else I can do??

Popi

TDI
2011 golf tdi
2014 tdi golf sport wagon ignition question

Glow plug light blinking and check engine light on when starting. Engine cranks over but won’t start. Any ideas appreciated.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Search threads started my MOGolf; he details what a blinking GP light means.