Lp egr

questman

TDI
2010 Golf TDI United Grey DSG (buyback June 15,2017), replaced by 2017 Golf TSI
My 2010 Golf recently had a check engine light. Clock at 82,000 km. In to dealer for a tech scan. No code # provided, but came back as EGR flow insufficient, specifically the low pressure EGR. Sporatic, out of range. 143 mbar reading, max spec. is 100 mbar. Dealer advised replacement of the 'filter'. $550 all in. I insisted the EGR system is part of emissions, after some back and forth they knocked it down to $200. I believe I will go for it, and hope the fix will last. I only posted this as a story to possibly add some insight. We all know the TDI has a very complex exhaust/emissions system and the MIL lights can come and go. Mine was on 2 days and off for 5 days, then back on. No lost power, no diff. fuel economy. Regens were taking place. Only concern was possible downstream damage to another component(s). Car has been basically flawless since new. (my desk is fake wood, I'm knocking now).

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Your problem is probably a cracked DPF and the filter will clogg again.
Does your exhaust pipe have soot in it? If so this is a certain sigh that the DPF is cracked and it should be replaced under warranty.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
How does this happen to a car with 82k kms ? It is bazaar to say the least. This should always be in the dam pollution control warranty coverage for at least 100k miles, and actually higher mileage considering you have to be in complience for the EPA at least here in the US.

questman

TDI
Thank you for your replies. Redbarron55, I just did a wipe test for soot. Not bad, I suppose. I have found similar amounts in the past when I wiped. I hadn't thought of the DPF. Don't know if the dealer took a peek at the ass end either. They tested intake, turbo, exhaust flap, high pressure EGR, all pass, but low pressure EGR was out of spec. The reason for the price adjustment seems to be VW partially admitting to an early failure of an exhaust part that is not warranted but probably should be. Basically only the CAT is covered, but they are throwing me a bone. However they are advising me that I should probably save my favour for the future in case a larger repair comes along, which is a strange ploy.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=107427&title=soot-02&cat=6215

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need a DPF. There is a TSB about this. Dealer tech should know that. Common problem. A plugged up EGR filter tube is just a symptom.

Your tailpipe should be whistle-dick clean, like white glove clean, on the CBEA/CJAA engines. If there is any soot, you have issues.

questman

TDI
Oilhammer, white glove clean? o.k. Thank you. I should have paid attention 2 years ago. Always had a little soot in the pipes. I'm glad redbarron55 suggested a quick wipe. Now begins the battle with the dealer. I'm not sure if the TSB applies to Canada. I'm continuing my research. At least now I have a bit more clarity.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
If I had known this 5 years ago I would have had the dealer replace the DPF then, but at that time who knew?
I have since permanently fixed the problem.
Get the DPF replaced NOW.
My 2009 JSW always had a dirty butt and I thought that those who bragged about a spotless butt were not driving the JSW which builds up more dirt and dust on the rear hatch. But as sometimes happens I was wrong.
My car now still has a case of dirty butt, but it kinda deserves it.
The mileage is noe 215,000 miles, but dirty butt from 0,000 miles.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, dirty butt isn't necessarily from the DPF. You have to have sooty tailpipes.

Even my white gasser Golf's rear end was always filthy. :p

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
The dirt was mostly black soot from the sooty tailpipe, unfortunately.
I thought that the grime was normal since it was similar to what we had with the old diesel rabbits, but on this I was wrong.
I am used to dirty lift gates on square backed wagon/vans.
I guess the soot likes it too!
The car is slightly sootier with the new setup, but not as much as would have been with the old Rabbits.
It's the black soot dirty butt syndrome. Around here without Diesel soot the butt dirt is gray or brown.
Is your Golf dirty butt black and a lot like soot?