Any tips/tricks for a first time TDI owner?

MK-Ultra

TDI
2010 JSW
We picked up a 2010 JSW TDI two nights ago from a dealership in the Denver area. It has 55k miles, DSG, pano sunroof, etc. It is really sweet. This is our first TDI, so I was hoping that you all might have some helpful pointers so that we're happy owners and so the car performs its best. Thanks in advance!

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
We picked up a 2010 JSW TDI two nights ago from a dealership in the Denver area. It has 55k miles, DSG, pano sunroof, etc. It is really sweet. This is our first TDI, so I was hoping that you all might have some helpful pointers so that we're happy owners and so the car performs its best. Thanks in advance!
was the dsg fluid changed at 40K if not DO IT That thing is to much to fix if it fails. Every 40K it needs to be changed. You can do it yourself it's not to hard I bought the tool to fill from the bottom and it works great. Just a good idea to change it. Welcome to the club there is a lot of info on here for all kinds of maintenance and mods that can be done if you want.

Last edited:

pearNchewy

TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4 door Blue Graphite DSG
Hello MK, I was a new TDI owner this year as well living in the Denver area. Mine is a 2014 Golf TDI 4 door with the DSG. This forum has a wealth of information that you should be able to get any concerns addressed. I guess one of the major precautions you can take is to ALWAYS make sure you put diesel in. It may seem elementary, but I have no doubt in my mind that it's done fairly frequently that can cause big headaches. Other than that, like mkbunde mentioned, take care of that DSG tranny as well.

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I will give you two quick tips. Take your time and read as much as you can about your car on this forum.

You will find that if you use any oil that is not VW spec 507.0 it will cause clogging of your Diesel Particulate Filter. Right now that part is usually replaced and the cost is somewhere between $2,000 and $2,500. That is not a trivial amount so do NOT use any Walmart special oil.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Congrats. I second all the above. Use the right oil at the right intervals (10k), do not put gas in, dsg service is a must. Also check the pano roof drains as they are known to leak and ruin the headliner.

MK-Ultra

TDI
2010 JSW
Well... My love affair with my TDI has already taken a sour note. It rained all day on Thursday, I found water in the trunk where the spare tire is stored. The back seat is wet too, and I see water damage stains on the headliner. Of course I bought it used "as-is" and in the evening, so I didn't see the stains. Eff.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
There should still be a 3 day cancellation (I think a federal law) policy entitling you to cancel for full refund if you are within 3 days. I don't think this can be waived. I would threaten to do that if they won't fix the damage. You can submit your cancel in writing if it's over the weekend.

After looking at your original post, looks like you might be outside the 3 days. Look on this forum for help or find a guru if you're not handy with these sorts of things.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
clean your sunroof drains and the gaskets, should clear up the issue, I don't personally have the pano, but I have seen tons of posts irt the leaks and fixes.

I keep a fuelling log, basicly when and where I get diesel, how much etc, figure if my pump ever grenades I can show the dealer I'm a responsible tdi operator, or go after the station if they have contaminated fuel.

I second proper oil, also be aware the new rainx formula, (dark orange) seems to gum up the low wiper fluid sensor, easy enough to clean, but a pita non the less.

Get a vcds or make friends with someone who has one, they are imperative for quick and proper troubleshooting of any vw, by far the best 300 dollars I have spent on this car. If you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty the bentley manual is also a great investment for little more than a dinner for two. vcds will pay for itself in a couple uses, and you can modify many items in the coding as to how the vehicle behaves, how aggressive traction control is, hill hold, recode keys, tpms sensors, make your windows and sunroof open and close via key fob, many many tweaks.

If you do chose to have a dealer or indy shop do your maintenance you have the exact fault codes before you walk in, forcing the dealer to fix the problem with one part instead of 5 will pay for it in the first trip, plus when you post up a vcds scan the forum will be far more useful, likely there are 15 people who have been told by the dealer "Ive never seen this before" who now know exactly what part actually fixed it, and what the exact trouble code was.

its a great car, and fun to drive, enjoy it!

Last edited:

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Fm > TDI Augstin
There should still be a 3 day cancellation (I think a federal law) policy entitling you to cancel for full refund if you are within 3 days.
I don't think this can be waived.​
If not federal, some, if not many, states have such a statute.
Keep in mind, if such a statute exists, it also means that should the dealer have written something in the sales contract waiving that right--it cannot be waived, even if it is part of the sales contract, and you signed it.
Such a 'waiving' clause, in the sales contract, is
unenforceable--court would not honor it. Not only would the court not honor it, but could well levy a penalty towards the party originating the contract (should the time be beyond the 3-day time window.
Just some thoughts should the situation get awkward....

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I would begin by going back to the dealer ans asking politely what they will do to resolve the problem. You bought the car in good faith and most dealers will want to provide good customer service, if it doesn't cost them too much. Talk with the manager or owner, not just a salesman and explain why you feel that they have an obligation to resolve the problem (i.e., you bought the car at night when the stains wouldn't show up, however, the dealer would have known they were there and should have pointed them out). If being polite and requesting their assistance (and polite can include being firm), mention that you will have no problem with a letter to the editor of the local paper explaining your concern, or if necessary going to Small Claims Court. Small Claims Court costs you very little, and will cost the dealer time to show up, embarrassment, and you can quite possibly win your case with a good argument and pictures of the problem. I have used the Small Claims Court successfully, both as a threat and have won cases. Best of luck to you with this problem.