Seized AC compressor unseized?

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
My AC problem was diagnosed by an AC shop as a seized compressor. I could smell the rubber from the belt and could feel the engine was rough whenever I would try to engage the AC (I thought the fans were out of balance).
I had them drain the system, and have now started working on it. I've removed the 13mm nut on the clutch but now notice I can rotate the clutch by hand and the shaft rotates. Unless I'm missing something this means the compressor is rotating too. What could have caused this? Something in the refrigerant? Too much pressure? A blockage in the line? The compressor was replaced two summers ago (2010) so I was surprised it was seized.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
Take the belt off and try to rotate the pulley. The bearing could be bad in the pulley which are different than the compressor bearings. I have seen bearings go bad very quickly in chinese compressors. (not saying that's what you have but I wouldn't be surprised)

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
Oh okay, I was just making sure you were checking both the center shaft of the compressor and the pulley. I guess just because the center shaft can rotate at very slow speeds is not the same as rotating at engine speed.

That's what I've done. Pulley rotates fine. Compressor is a Behr I think.

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
I was thinking that too....different rotation speed in addition to no refrigerant.

How does the expansion valve work? I don't think it was replaced when the compressor was. Can it get jammed up and could a block in the system lock up the compressor?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
I put on a chinese expansion valve once that caused me a lot of trouble. It wouldn't open and made a terrible vibration/noise but it did not hurt the compressor. These compressors have a valve that only lets them build pressure to the design level. Have you removed it yet and looked at some of the oil for debris?