The time has come... out with the old, in with a new Passat.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I was trying to wait until the end of summer, but it looks like our fleet has other plans. With the recent death of the ECOdiesel and Jason's 350SDL's turbo burning an unnerving amount of engine oil, we've decided that it's time to consolidate our fleet of failcars and buy a new Passat.

We found a 2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT blue/black at Howard Cooper in Ann Arbor on Auto Trader - waiting for a call back from the internet sales guy. MSRP is $27,035 - going to try to get them down to as close to invoice as possible and perhaps pick it up this weekend. We're going to be in Michigan this weekend anyway for Jason's sister's wedding... good timing if everything works out.

I've also put in a call to Chris Farnham at VW Langhorne to see if he has anything on the lot that meets our needs. I'd rather buy from him, but we'll see what Howard Pooper has to say.

Auto Trader Passat

Up for sale:
1991 Mercedes-Benz 350SDL: $6500
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300SDL: $1500

NateM

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Manual
Good luck with your search. These passats are great cars. I got mine for 25,300 +299 doc fee FYI.
I've seen them for as low as 24,888 after I bought mine...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was very impressed with the SEL we had for the weekend, enough so that I seriously considered a Passat instead of the Golf. For me the clincher was I didn't want that big a car to drive daily. But it is a great value. And if you drive other people around (I rarely do) it's a much better fit. And the things I didn't like (seat fabrics, 18" wheels, sunroof) don't come in the SE so it's ideal, IMO.

Let the road trips begin!

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
We found a 2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT blue/black at Howard Cooper in Ann Arbor on Auto Trader - waiting for a call back from the internet sales guy. MSRP is $27,035 - going to try to get them down to as close to invoice as possible and perhaps pick it up this weekend.
I have 2 dealers here in New England that are within $300 of published invoice, which is also in the range of what Chris F. @ L told me, but I waited too long and he no longer has the car I want. The car I want can't be found in NE at the moment, so I am looking at ordering. I also have one dealer that is $400 over MSRP!!??:eek: You should be able to get the pricing much closer to invoice.
PS- Sorry to hear about the demise of ECOdiesel.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Waiting for a call back from Howard Cooper in Michigan. Chris just called me back... the 6MT he has needs a little more work on price. He's getting two DSGs that meet our requirements for very close to invoice.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Bad news, good news, eh? Sorry about the "fail" cars, but glad to hear you'll have a 2012 Passat nearby, so we can compare notes!
Hope it all works out in your favor. Good luck!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I was trying to wait until the end of summer, but it looks like our fleet has other plans. With the recent death of the ECOdiesel and Jason's 350SDL's turbo burning an unnerving amount of engine oil, we've decided that it's time to consolidate our fleet of failcars and buy a new Passat.

We found a 2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT blue/black at Howard Cooper in Ann Arbor on Auto Trader - waiting for a call back from the internet sales guy. MSRP is $27,035 - going to try to get them down to as close to invoice as possible and perhaps pick it up this weekend. We're going to be in Michigan this weekend anyway for Jason's sister's wedding... good timing if everything works out.

I've also put in a call to Chris Farnham at VW Langhorne to see if he has anything on the lot that meets our needs. I'd rather buy from him, but we'll see what Howard Pooper has to say.

Auto Trader Passat

Up for sale:
1991 Mercedes-Benz 350SDL: $6500
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300SDL: $1500
Good move, but don't leave it parked in the street!;)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Sometimes a change is a good thing.

This is a progression to the NEW.

I hope the new Passat gets to the HO5G soon..

P&J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sometimes a change is a good thing.

This is a progression to the NEW.

I hope the new Passat gets to the HO5G soon..

P&J
As soon as Ho5G shows up on the calendar! :cool:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Cool we will start to plan oh the planning .. Oh and parking yeah thats it reserved parking perhaps the E300D spot!!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Jason says he wants a red on black with a DSG.

VW_JW

TDI
2012 Passat TDi SEL Prem on order
That's what I have on order....I all my VWs have been Red with black interior.

VW_JW

TDI
I had been shopping for awhile, going to the local dealer just about every other week. My dealer kinda figured I was a lock and they preordered a car based on what I had been looking at. They ordered in January and the car is in production now and should be here sometime in May. I actually placed my order about 6 weeks ago...so I got kind of lucky given that I'll have it in just a few more weeks.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Cool link, Niner.

I'm so sorry the Opera Red doesn't look anything like the photo. It's very misleading.

VW_JW

TDI
Yes, I agree the Opera Red looks totally different when seen up close and nothing like the photo VW shows on their website. I like the color that gets applied to the car. I can't believe I'm about to say this but I feel the actual Opera Red that get applied to the car is a great red for "adults" as it's not bright and flashy like my Tornado red Jetta and has subtle difference in tone depending on the light.

My dealer has had a few variants of the Passat in Opera Red on their lot but none were the exact combo/trim I wanted.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Do you care about trim, SE, SE + NAV, or SEL?

I like red cars, but Opera red in person is not my thing. A little too brown-purple for me. Seems only red in bright sun?

No regrets driving 300 miles to get exactly what I wanted. BTW, there appears to be a red/cornsilk at the dealer I purchased from, New Motors, Erie, PA. Invoice price may be difficult in certain areas. One local dealer said they were not accepting my supplier certificate and charging the full MSRP.

Sure I cannot entice the Night Blue?

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Agreed with what everyone has said about the red. Very brown/purple in anything but direct sunlight. I've also noticed that the Tungsten Silver looks nothing like the brochures and internet pictures. In person, it looks more like a champagne color than what is pictured... very classy.

Black interior is a must. Looking for SE trim, probably with DSG + roof. NAV isn't really necessary and is just an extra cost that doesn't really rank very high in the bang-for-buck category. My top two color choices are Tungsten Silver or Night Blue. Still need to get a good look at a red one in person... perhaps we can swing by Springfield VW this evening and make snide remarks towards their terrible sales staff. ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Langhorne is expecting a Tungsten/Titan and a Night/Titan to be delivered later this week.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Langhorne is expecting a Tungsten/Titan and a Night/Titan to be delivered later this week.
Langhorne needs to do a better job of helping a Good Old Boy out, eh? My sticker was $26,765. You know what I paid for it... you should be able to do better than me, though with people getting their tax returns back now, demand could be higher than back in February.... Timing is everything when you do this, as is the element of surprise on a dealership to go in, do the deal, and drive off. Wasting time haggling is just that, a waste of time, adjust their expectations to what your's is for pricing, and let them earn your business and $. Otherwise, walk. Month end is always best for buyers. Quarter end is even better, December and March.

Drove in up and over Coldwater Canyon to Beverly Hills, CA yesterday for some business with attorneys. The 2012 passat got broken in over the full rpm range doing curves, ups and downs, a thorough romping. MFA said 33 mpg for the trip. I think, after being in the commute rush, Jason better plunge and get the DSG, I was destroyed after dealing with attorneys mentally at the end of the day in traffic, and was not happy with the 6 Man at all. There is a place for the 6 man which fits my needs 99.5% of the time... but that .5%, in rush hour traffic... it sucks donkey balls. I hate that hill lock brake feature, stalled it 3x yesterday... handbrakes with clutch and throttle control is where it's at for this Old School owner.

You guys are gonna have a love / hate relationship going with that car... Love it until it breaks, then hate it when the repair bill for parts rolls in. LOVE IT as long as you can, it's a very satisfying driving experience for anyone that likes Teutonic designed cars and how they behave on the roads.

The World is your Oyster.... Manuals... http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...05&searchSource=GEO_SEARCH&pgId=2102&zc=48208

Others... You do want a car with a serial number in the high 50 to 60k number that has not sat on the lot for a long time. That's a dealer that's not willing to move on price or trade around with other dealers.

Some DSG's in here for good prices. St Louis? http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...d-mdId-fuelTypeId-prcId&pgId=2102&prcId=28830

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Right on. I'm going to call Chris back before the week is over and get some more info on the two DSGs that are expected to arrive. His price on those is pretty good, so we will see what happens.

I agree with the idea of getting a DSG; especially with the ridiculous traffic around here. Tip mode will keep me happy enough for road trips and I'm not going to be the primary driver anyway.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Half the TDIs coming into my local dealer have deposits before they arrive at the dealer. I had a deposit on one 6 weeks ahead of time (not a custom order) before finding one with my preferred color combo newly in stock 300 miles away. My deposit was refundable, but I recommend getting the details worked out ASAP on anything available now or soon. Get a test drive on any of the TDi DSG local to you.

I love manual transmissions, but this DSG is pretty good. Manual mode is fun, but it will downshift. :( I like the quick shifts. 1->2 and 2->1 are rougher than torque converter automatics, but the other shifts are outstanding.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'll agree with the manual statement... I love them too, but that one time you get stuck coming out of DC... My hairline is already receding, it doesnt need any help!

Let's hope we can find something soon!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mwjwaa
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk