I Just Ordered My 2010 Jetta TDI Cup (Street Edition)

savowood

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Cup (Street)
Reading over the info on this site was a great help, and I'm glad to be running a vehicle with a lubricant instead of a solvent. =-)

The best part is the performance you get from this vehicle. I'm really looking forward to getting it in and taking it to the track to enjoy it there.

The car I ordered was:

2010 Jetta TDI Cup (Street Edition)
manual transmission (hated the DSG)
black/black
iPod connection
aero kit
rear spoiler

I was about to get the laser blue one, but decided to go with black as every car I've gotten over the past few years has been blue.

The order was placed today, and I got it at invoice! I'll keep you guys posted on the path to delivery.

-Michael

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Congrats!! i love track days. maybe i can take my JSW to the track :D

savowood

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Cup (Street)
I ordered it from Stohlman, but don't have a delivery date just yet. I don't even have a VIN. They said it would be 60-90 days.

If anyone is interested in getting one, PM me and I'll give you the name of my sales guy. He really likes the Cup and wants them to keep one in the showroom. If he sells several, maybe there will be one in the showroom soon. (Hint hint!)

-Michael

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I ordered mine way back in Nov, and it supposed to be here in about 14-15 days.:D

I got the DSG, and sunroof in laser blue.

BTW, isn't this thread in the wrong section?

savowood

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Cup (Street)
Yes...I wrote "aero kit" but that's the same one. Not much reason to get the Cup without making it look like one. :p

compignition

TDI
2010 Cup Edition 2008 Grand Cherokee CRD Prevost Liberty 60 Series Detroit
Got one

For your timing reference, I ordered one on about November 4, 2009, VW estimated delivery the week of January 26, 2010. Actual delivery was January 14, 2010. Have about nine hundred miles now, no problems.

andresvr6

TDI
none
compignition said:
For your timing reference, I ordered one on about November 4, 2009, VW estimated delivery the week of January 26, 2010. Actual delivery was January 14, 2010. Have about nine hundred miles now, no problems.
Any pics? I have not seen a red one.

dparker

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 1M & twenty10 Cup Edition
If you are doing track days you might want to consider protective film. Lamin-X has pre cut paint protection for your (soon to be) car since they sponsor and put film on all the race cars. I don't work for them but I'm friends with a few of the crew. I've heard the film they put on the race cars has saved VW quite a bit of money with all the close racing/bumping in the series.

Keep us in the loop as to your car when it comes in.

www.lamin-x.com

jettavariant03

Veteran Member
TDI
Candy White 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Street Edition
savowood said:
I ordered it from Stohlman, but don't have a delivery date just yet. I don't even have a VIN. They said it would be 60-90 days.

If anyone is interested in getting one, PM me and I'll give you the name of my sales guy. He really likes the Cup and wants them to keep one in the showroom. If he sells several, maybe there will be one in the showroom soon. (Hint hint!)

-Michael
Michael,

Did you car show up yet?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
savowood said:
Yes...I wrote "aero kit" but that's the same one. Not much reason to get the Cup without making it look like one. :p
I know you have already ordered a Car but you might want to Give Chris Farnham at VW of Langhorne PA a call he may be able to get you a Cup Car sooner and for less money!

215-741-4100

savowood

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Cup (Street)
So, Friday I picked up the car. It's a really nice looking car. The feel of it is very solid. I've driven BMWs that didn't feel as good. The mileage is really fantastic. The features of the car's interior are quite impressive.

My track experience was interesting. First off, the tires are terrible. Mine came with Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. For a repli-racer, the tires are inadequate. Despite this, the car handles very well. It doesn't push nearly as much as I thought it would. I was expecting the normal FWD push, but didn't find it. The rear would even come around with a dose of TTO.

My only real disappointment, besides the tires, was the dampers. The porpoising the car would do when pressed hard in a corner was interesting. It was certainly too soft. The springs are fine. The brakes are very good. The chassis feels solid. The motor pulls very well. I had guys in Spec RX-7 full prep race cars having a hard time keeping up. There was a Focus SVT with a full roll cage and fat sticky rubber that couldn't pull me. The sleek Diesel did a great job of showing off.

And an interesting side note...

I saw no fewer than 5 people taking pictures of the car. Even more admiring it. My student in the Cayman is considering buying one for his commute from Warrenton, VA to DC.

This car turns heads, and it's fun to drive. I just need to get some better dampers and tires.

savowood

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Cup (Street)
Mine looks almost exactly like that one. That one has DSG, a sunroof, and I think it has navigation. I drove that one and thought pretty hard about buying it instead as it was there before mine arrived. I decided to stick with the stick. =-)

savowood

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Cup (Street)

Here's the only shot I have for now. I hope it works...from Facebook. Maybe some of the people from the track will post theirs. =-)

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
It sounds like you pushed your new TDI pretty hard to test it...I'd only comment that the owners manual does warn that during initial break-in (first 600 miles) the car shouldn't be pushed like that. No full throttle, high rev shifting. I only say that because I picked mine up last week and read the manual before setting out for a drive...I can't wait to push mine a little but really want to follow the prescribed break-in procedure. Hate to be a buzzkill but that's what they say, not me.

savowood

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Cup (Street)
The dealer told me it was fine to push it, as long as I didn't go over 4500 rpm. I was shifting around 4000-4300, so I'm okay. The tires took a beating. I'll be changing those out tomorrow.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
savowood said:
The dealer told me it was fine to push it, as long as I didn't go over 4500 rpm. I was shifting around 4000-4300, so I'm okay. The tires took a beating. I'll be changing those out tomorrow.
And dealers are notorious for knowing exactly what they are talking about :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'd trust the owner's manual before believing anything a dealer tells you. Common wisdom says take it easy on a new engine - has said this for many years.

savowood

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Cup (Street)
nhdoc said:
And dealers are notorious for knowing exactly what they are talking about :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'd trust the owner's manual before believing anything a dealer tells you. Common wisdom says take it easy on a new engine - has said this for many years.
I understand what you're saying, and I know it's "common wisdom", but so is the dirty heavy diesel. I've been racing for over 35 years and have always pushed a new motor during break-in. Not over done it, but push it a bit. If you baby it, you'll get a less responsive motor. Every race mechanic I've had, be it in stock or modified motors, has always said to push the motor like you want to drive it the rest of its' life.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
It's your car (and your money) - for my money I'll stick with the book.

BTW, Great choice on color!

Can I ask you how many miles were on your car when you picked it up? I ordered mine and when it was delivered it had 25 miles on it which seemed like more than I would have thought a "new" car should have had.

GDM

TDIClub Friend
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 6M, Laser Blue
mine was a dealer transfer, I think it had like 130 miles on it when I picked it up..

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
I'm asking because mine was special ordered for me, arrived at the dealer the day before I picked it up and wondered why it would have more than just a few miles on it unless they either; a) wanted to drive one so they took mine out for a spin or two or b) maybe had a customer who asked to drive one before ordering one so they knew mine was coming in and let them drive it first.

I know mine was the first cup car this dealer has received - in fact they were totally clueless as to their existence before I told them about it.

Either way I don't like the fact that a pre-sold car was delivered with any miles on it. I've pre-ordered cars before from other brands and never had one delivered with more than just a few miles on the odometer.

I'll never get a straight answer out of the dealer...I was just curious though since I never ordered a VW before if there is any reason to believe 25 miles is "normal" for a brand new car or did they just joy ride it around before I picked it up.

savowood

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Cup (Street)
Mine had 9 miles on it. The dealer prep shop is about 2 miles down the road. They had to drive it from there to the dealer, and part of the prep is a road test. The two miles isn't enough. Their paperwork for the prep shows there's supposed to be a loop they drive to the dealer from the prep shop that's 9 miles.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
savowood said:
Mine had 9 miles on it. The dealer prep shop is about 2 miles down the road. They had to drive it from there to the dealer, and part of the prep is a road test. The two miles isn't enough. Their paperwork for the prep shows there's supposed to be a loop they drive to the dealer from the prep shop that's 9 miles.
Thanks...that's more like what I would have expected...as I suspected, someone took mine out for a bit of a spin before I got to it :mad:

I've emailed the salesman and asked him about it but not heard back...as I said I won't get a straight answer out of them anyway.

Last edited:

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
As an udpate the salesman claims they received the car with 17 miles on it from the transporter and the additional miles were put on during their testing of it which is part of pre-delivery...I told them to prove that it was received with 17 miles to me because I just don't believe it.

Moccasin

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
nhdoc,
Are you dealing with Tulley in Nashua? I only ask because of your location and the fact that I bought a car from them several years ago and it was nothing but games like you describe with their sales people... Enjoy the car.