Exhausts with DPF Delete

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It seems as if everybody who has done a dpf delete on their car here has gone with a straight pipe exhaust. Has anybody done a delete with a full exhaust (ie resonator and muffler)? I'm looking to do a dpf delete but I don't want a loud car

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
On my 09 I had a 3" straight pipe. Drove it for a few thousand miles and put a resonator on it as the drone was terrible. With a small resonator, it sounded awesome. I have heard another one that had a DPF delete into a stock "cat back" exhaust and it sounded stock.

Even if you do a full exhaust with resonator and muffler it will be super quiet. I wanted some turbo whistle / noise when I did mine. Good luck!

mggtz

TDI
2012 JSW TDI

2literv8eater

TDI
2013 Golf
I had a cat with stock GTI dual exhaust and it's as loud as stock, I wanted more noise so I tried a cheapo GTI aftermarket exhaust with one resonator and it's better. A little louder and you can hear it but still quieter than a GTI with a stock exhaust. Going to try the SPM Track edition next which is a straight pipe from the cat back which may be just a little louder than I want.

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
Get the buzzken down pipe and mid pipe, it will bolt to the stock muffler and sounds stock.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Rawtek with their cat and resonator: louder than stock on startup and in town but quite pleasant. Above 100 km/h (60 mph) and on smooth ashpalt there's a slight drone, not terrible; completely drowned on chipseal, concrete or other rough surface. I fed this back to Rawtek who offered another, larger resonator that some other customers had rejected as "too quiet". Haven't fitted it yet - waiting for other reasons to get the car on a lift.

NIN846

TDI
2011 Reflex Silver 2dr Golf TDI, 1983 Rabbit Pickup Diesel
I also have a 2011 Golf TDI and I had Les, owner of Dieseldubs in PA do mine. My setup is a DPF & EGR delete that is straight thru all the way back to the stock axle back muffler. It sounds perfect and has zero drone on the highway. I wouldn't do a complete straight pipe if I were you because they sound waaaay to ricey. Here is a quick sound clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqxtfGy0Nn4

huntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA TDI 5 speed,1978 PEUGEOT 504D 4 speed,1997 AUDI A4 Avent TDI 5 speed TDI(IN EUROPE)
Hi Jersey boys, how do u get inspections in nj with a delate kit?
I'd like to get all the bull out of my car.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
Hi Jersey boys, how do u get inspections in nj with a delate kit?
I'd like to get all the bull out of my car.
As of right now you don't, I'm hoping the tune gets updated for readiness values. It is the only thing stopping me from passing in February. Also the visual lack of catalytic converter but that's a separate issue.

huntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA TDI 5 speed,1978 PEUGEOT 504D 4 speed,1997 AUDI A4 Avent TDI 5 speed TDI(IN EUROPE)
Thanks. I hope it will not be a issue soon.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I'm stage 1 Malone have a Buzzken DP and straight pipe (DPF and CAT delete) but stock catback. It's barely louder, you get a little turbo whistle in low RPMs and a little bit of coal rolling. But that's about it.

I'll be going Stage 2, deleting the EGR and removing it from the intake, swapping in Diesel Dubs replacement, flapper mod and Buzzken catback straight pipe in the next few months here. I'll take videos for comparison.

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm stage 1 Malone have a Buzzken DP and straight pipe (DPF and CAT delete) but stock catback. It's barely louder, you get a little turbo whistle in low RPMs and a little bit of coal rolling. But that's about it.

I'll be going Stage 2, deleting the EGR and removing it from the intake, swapping in Diesel Dubs replacement, flapper mod and Buzzken catback straight pipe in the next few months here. I'll take videos for comparison.
Thanks! I'd much appreciate it!

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
I have 3" Rawtek turbo back with cat and resonator. Love the sound. Nice and mellow regular driving and deep baritone sound on hard acceleration.

Nice rumble on start up too....

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Thanks! I'd much appreciate it!
Not a problem.

I have 3" Rawtek turbo back with cat and resonator. Love the sound. Nice and mellow regular driving and deep baritone sound on hard acceleration.

Nice rumble on start up too....
I was thinking about getting the Rawtech pipe. I love the craftsmanship of them but couldn't justify that cost quite yet.

I've heard and read that folks are getting boost creeps and spikes. Have you experienced these? What tune o you have?

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Oh damn. I'm only stage 1, for now. How much boost is it running?

Did you upgrade your motor mounts?

scow1

TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
Im running stage 3 with cr170 and rawtek exhaust. I kept the stock muffler and its stock sounding inside and no drone on the highway. Great turbo whistle still!

I was told if you delete the DPF you wont have to worry about your intercooler freezing up in winter.

Last edited:

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Im running stage 3 with cr170 and rawtek exhaust. I kept the stock muffler and its stock sounding inside and no drone on the highway. Great turbo whistle still!
Oh I thought you had RawTek all the way back. I've heard of those with any 3" TB strait pipe have boost creeps and surges.
My wife loves the turbo noise. lol. It's her favorite this about the work we've done so far.

I was told if you delete the DPF you wont have to worry about your intercooler freezing up in winter.
Wut?

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Oh I thought you had RawTek all the way back. I've heard of those with any 3" TB strait pipe have boost creeps and surges.
My wife loves the turbo noise. lol. It's her favorite this about the work we've done so far.

Wut?
I don't think the winter issue applies to you where you live.

Take my advice, do the catback with a muffler, it will be perfect.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I don't think the winter issue applies to you where you live.
Well, we had 2 blizzards this year. We had about an inch of ice enclosing our cars. Granted They were freak storms. But it does snow here pretty good bout every 2-3 years.

Take my advice, do the catback with a muffler, it will be perfect.
I don't normally take the seller advice as you have a financial interest and gain into advising me to purchase the more expensive option. But,... that's what I keep hearing. Well, between the muffler and a resonator.

What kind of muffler and res do you use?

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
I don't normally take the seller advice as you have a financial interest and gain into advising me to purchase the more expensive option. But,... that's what I keep hearing. Well, between the muffler and a resonator.

What kind of muffler and res do you use?

I'm not that kind of vendor, I just want you to be happy with what you get.:) My muffler and res are built in house, seen too many premature failures of 'big name brand' items to be using somebody else's products.

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
Well, we had 2 blizzards this year. We had about an inch of ice enclosing our cars. Granted They were freak storms. But it does snow here pretty good bout every 2-3 years.
I had to laugh at this....were they really considered blizzards? Neither storm affected me much, we went where we wanted too when we wanted too. Now other drivers, that is a different story. The drivers caused all sorts of problems.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I'm not that kind of vendor, I just want you to be happy with what you get.:) My muffler and res are built in house, seen too many premature failures of 'big name brand' items to be using somebody else's products.
Not trying to be a smart ass, but i expected you to say that.

Regardless, I did end up getting the exhaust with the muffler. Looks perty. I'll be installing it tomorrow.

I had to laugh at this....were they really considered blizzards? Neither storm affected me much, we went where we wanted too when we wanted too. Now other drivers, that is a different story. The drivers caused all sorts of problems.
That's what USGS said. I read an article they put out about that little quake that hit Edgefield during the 2nd storm. People down here were losing their minds. It did affect us much either. We had, coincidentally, gone shopping 2 days prior to the storm hitting. So we were good to go. Till our power went out and pipes froze solid. We stayed with some friends on base, Ft Gordon, my wife is in the chair force.

No surges here. Car drives like stock.
I haven't read that many accounts of those with your setup. I was referring to stock turbos with stage 0.5 - 2 tunes. How are you liking the cr170 turbo? How are you dealing with the lean condition?

Last edited: