Timing Belt Replacement on 2006 Jetta Tdi

eggcrusher

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hey guys,

My 06 Jetta Tdi is due for the timing belt replacement. I have been shopping around some local shops in the Hamilton area and there is a place on Concession Street called Bitners Automotive (they claim to specialize in VWs) and they quoted $950 total (tax included) for the job.
They said it would include replacing the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and all pulleys and tensioners + bolts.

I called Hamilton VW and they quoted around $1200 for the same repair. Roseland VW (in Burlington) quoted 1100.

Does anyone have any shop they would recommend...or know of any local Guru who would be interested in doing this work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

indycar1

Veteran Member
Hey guys,

My 06 Jetta Tdi is due for the timing belt replacement. I have been shopping around some local shops in the Hamilton area and there is a place on Concession Street called Bitners Automotive (they claim to specialize in VWs) and they quoted $950 total (tax included) for the job.
They said it would include replacing the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and all pulleys and tensioners + bolts.

I called Hamilton VW and they quoted around $1200 for the same repair. Roseland VW (in Burlington) quoted 1100.

Does anyone have any shop they would recommend...or know of any local Guru who would be interested in doing this work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do a search for diesel dazzler on here. Take the drive to Ingersol and save a lot of money for great work.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Diesel Dazzler, or Brandan (aka. VDUB TECH) are both good choices.

Timing belt on a MK5 TDI should run about $750 taxes in....

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Hello Egg,

I recently had a TB change done on my 01 Jetta @ Bug Shop in Hamilton (29 Kenilworth Ave. 905-547-2042). I have also taken it there for turbo work. Their pricing is excellent they replaced all TB related parts. The shop is a little on the cramped side but they do quality work, at least that has been my experience.

I used to take my VW to Bittners but had a couple of suspect experiences there. Once my car came out with a 3.5 inch scratch on the drivers side door that I am pretty sure was not there when I dropped it off. As for the dealership...STAY AWAY!!!! I took my VW to the VW on Upper James for my first TB change. When I was driving home the engine coolant light and buzzer goes off, so I immediately pull over and fill it up. Two blocks later, same thing, so I fill it up again and head back to the stealership pulling in with engine coolant light and buzzer going off. They put it on the hoist (causing indentations just above the frame) and I watch 4 or 5 of them walking around under it. It's 6pm so the counter guy gives me a ride home. He's a good guy but he knows that I am pi$$ed. Anyway, next afternoon I go to pick it up and turns out they didn't attach the coolant hose. I have never been back.

Cheers

Last edited:

eggcrusher

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to take BryanK's suggestion and try the Bug Shop here in Hamilton. Thanks for the referrals though, its good to know there is some quality mechanics available in the area.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to take BryanK's suggestion and try the Bug Shop here in Hamilton. Thanks for the referrals though, its good to know there is some quality mechanics available in the area.
Just an FYI,
I've ordered part's from the Bug Shop a few times, never had any issues with them.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I had my TB done at DCB (Brandon) a couple of weeks ago too. Good job well done.

The only comment I should add is that if someone lives in Hamilton a shop in Toronto or Orangeville is not a real practical choice.