Hello Guys, i thinking to go to mufflerectomy on my car

increase power or better response ?

Thanks in advance

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
no and no

PS: I have one done...but the impetus was the muffler was rusting off and wanting some bling exhaust tips.

beeman

TDI
2003 jetta tdi 5spd
i just did it last thursday... sounds great and maybe a small increase in both categories..went from stock 2.1/8th inch as told by my a local mufler shop to 2.25 inch (ex mufler) back. drive 70mph occasionally no problem with the sound.. enjoy variant.

memphis tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
I did mine last weekend, seems to spool quicker and make more and smoother power, I think the power increase is more noticable on cars like mine with bigger turbo, inj, and tuning.

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
A mufflerectomy never gives an increase of power beacouse mufflers aren't restrictive parts like cat.

Last edited:

Ruff Mainer

TDI
2011 2Dr 6MT
While I do understand that they're not the most restrictive part, pressure drop is cumulative, and therefore every component in the system at least in theory effects the whole. I guess I don't understand why you would say they're not a restrictive part?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
beacouse they aren't. A restrictive part is a cat with a bigger turbo, where a HUGE amount of air is filtered passing through a lot of cells;
If you make a whole exhaust with the same diameter all the way from turbo to the tip, and you would use mufflers with the inlet/outlet with the same diameter , there wouldn't any restriction for having mufflers. The smaller pipe diameter used from middle muffler to the tip is more restrictive, and it isn't noticable with a stock turbo. If you just cut the muffler and put a piece of pipe, won't be any 'improvement' than more sound. If you just make a whole bigger exhaust with stock turbo, won't be any 'improvement' than more sound.

Last edited:

memphis tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
Guess my butt dyno is broken, the authority has spoken, there is "never" any gain to be had, due to the fact that "mufflers are not a restrictive part".

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Guess my butt dyno is broken, the authority has spoken, there is "never" any gain to be had, due to the fact that "mufflers are not a restrictive part".
Hmmm yep, a muffler is a lot restrictive for sure, i'm mistaken. More sound= more power

Out of curiosity, did your dyno results be better by just cut the mufflers out of the stock exhaust pipe and putting a straight pipe,leaving the cat in place? very optimistic dynos IMO;)

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
No comments guy.

This is a discussion forum, if your discussion way is to calify persons, i can imagine a lot of califications for you, but i won't say them.
The authority is bored with this kind of thread, same thing again and again.
I didn't see your stupid butt dyno in any part of this thread.

Luck with your optimistic dynos/mods.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Hello Guys, i thinking to go to mufflerectomy on my car

increase power or better response ?

Thanks in advance
Minor improvement to both. The muffler is not the limiting factor, there just is not much to improve.

However if your car is not stock, then all bets are off.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The weight savings alone is reason enough to eliminate the muffler. I might do it to my 2 door Golf. Not sure how much the muffler weighs, but it looks relatively heavy. I'm looking at reducing the weight of my Golf by a few hundred pounds and the muffler looks like a good place to start to save a few pounds.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
While I do understand that they're not the most restrictive part, pressure drop is cumulative, and therefore every component in the system at least in theory effects the whole. I guess I don't understand why you would say they're not a restrictive part?
Because years of experience from people that did muffler deletes and THEN ACTUALLY TESTED the car tell us that on TDIs a muffler delete is ineffective.

Theories are wonderful, but if you don't take the time to analyze the system as a whole you just waste your effort.

BTW, comments about 'AUTHORITY' do not enhance ones standing.

Bill

Ruff Mainer

TDI
2011 2Dr 6MT
"BTW, comments about 'AUTHORITY' do not enhance ones standing."

Not sure if that was directed at me or not, but I was simply stating that it is simple fluid dynamics that pressure drop through a system is cumulative, meaning if you pull the muffler it will reduce the overall system pressure drop, obviously not by very much, but some. Thanks for the heads up though, I was pretty worried about my standings here.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
It was not.

The 'hog tightness' of a fence is cummulative, but you only fix the holes.

EDIT: But an experienced farmer only fixes the holes in the fence. END EDIT

Bill

Last edited:

octotatt

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 05', Silver
I just did my mufflerectomy last weekend. Replaced it with a pipe the same diameter as the rest of the system and I can emphatically say there IS a difference, but it's a little tough to define. Total horsepower, probbably not (at most a couple). It does seem to respond a little quicker though, especially at higher speeds and revs don't die as much when I shift.

So, my take on it is a slight difference in feel (about as sllght as the noise increase.), but doesn't turn the car into a track day monster. :)

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI, 2X 01 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI,06 Jetta TDI.
I had a stock muffler that was full of soot,a few years ago. Removing it made a difference on my car. It did feel faster with the straight pipe.:D

memphis tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
I was being sarcastic, and snarky is an understatement.

BTW I also have a 2001 Cummins truck, 227,000 and stronger than ever.

Ruff Mainer

TDI
2011 2Dr 6MT
it is a bummer that the 2.0CR doesn't seem to get anything from this though, I mean it seems everyone says not even a little increase in noise. I really want to do this mod, but I want to be able to justify it if even just a little bit (noise, performance, anything!). Hard to want to do it for the weight savings.

memphis tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
All I can tell you is my experience with my car, and mine runs and sounds better.

I guess we will agree to disagree.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
The only time anyone will convince me that removing the muffler from a car improves hp is with a before and after dyno.

Anything other then that is just placebo effect.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I ditched mine because it was easier to have the car lose 40lbs than it was for ME to lose 40lbs :)

You might see a teenier faster spool up, but no diff in hp or tq. Still worth it, though.