Snow tire and snow wheels question

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I recommend the Hakkas, Winterforces, or General Arctic Altimax.

X-Ice and Blizzaks are fantastic tires, but their "secret sauce" compound quickly degrades to that of regular winter tires after 1-2 snow seasons.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
In your case... if you're using the stock (on a Passat S) 215/60r16... then the Firestone Winterforce will be a good candidate.

I had them on my old MK4. And I'm not kidding about it being loud.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce

Can't really think of other snow tires that are knobby like the Winterforce.

If you're going 215/55r16... General Altimax Arctic is a solid choice also.
http://generaltire.com/tires/winter/altimax-artic#Specs

I ran these before.... great tire all around, but very squirmy in the dry

There may be Gislaved
http://www.gislaved-tires.com/gener...winter-tires/nordfrost-100/nordfrost-100.html
where you may have to hit up a Volvo dealer to order a set.

The General Altimax Arctic are actually re-labeled Gislaved Nord Frost 3
Gislaved Frosts were the ultimate grab and release winter tires back in the '80s - when I was first turned onto them. They were a biased ply tire ( can you believe that). I had heard that they had gone belly up until I saw a website a short time ago.

With today's triposite compounds one is able to procure a winter tire that not only excels in winter grab and release (ice & snow) but ant-hydro planning and a stiff sidewall to boot. the only dele mama is their high cost to join the party

"Minds are like parachutes. They don't work unless you open them"Frank Zappa

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Anybody remember the blue treaded winter tires? Would of been the mid 70s. I can't remember the brand, but they were all the rage with the rally crowd around here. The tread was hydrophilic (attracted to water) and they worked pretty well. Just out of high school, I could never afford a set myself.

Yours
Vern

Canuck64

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
I have Pirelli Ice Control 215/60R16 on my car. Quieter than the Hankooks, great in all winter conditions on both back roads and highways and no increase in fuel consumption.

**I switched back to the Hankooks on Feb 25th, and you can see on my Fuelly there is no change between February and March's fuel consumption. Not sure if that speaks well for the Pirelli tires or poorly for the Hankooks:confused:

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
Gislaved Frosts were the ultimate grab and release winter tires back in the '80s - when I was first turned onto them. They were a biased ply tire ( can you believe that). I had heard that they had gone belly up until I saw a website a short time ago.
I believe that Continental bought them up, and that General Articmax are rebadged Gislaveds.
I used Gislaved Frosts years ago on a Rabbit and later on a Volvo--amazing snow traction.

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
+1 for the Gislaveds, had them on my SAAB, they were awesome.

Currently, I have the General Altimax Arctic (same as Gislaved Nord Frost 3) on my Acura and they worked well this past winter. Drove up to Boston in a snow storm and they were excellent! Reasonable price, and they are also good in the rain. I'm leaving them on all year without any problem (the Acura doesn't get driven much)

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Anybody remember the blue treaded winter tires? Would of been the mid 70s. I can't remember the brand, but they were all the rage with the rally crowd around here. The tread was hydrophilic (attracted to water) and they worked pretty well. Just out of high school, I could never afford a set myself.

Yours
Vern
Nokian tried to mimic this with their "pump sipes"