Snow tire question

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I have a guy at work that has a set of Blizzak snow tires that where used only one season and come on a set of 15" steel wheels. Do you guys think it's worth putting snow tires on the Jetta? He's only asking $200 for the set. I will see them on Thursday since we are on different shifts and have different days off. I'm just not sure if it's worth putting on snow tires and have never done so in the past on any of the 23 cars I've owned. Thanks in advance.
Jason

P.S. I have the stock 16" Potenzas(?) on there still.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I don't believe they are winter tyres so they are not the best you can buy today, but they are tops of the snow tyres. Sounds like a good deal. When the tread wears and they no longer do the job on snow, buy a set of real WINTER tyres that will outperform snow tyres. They are a new and different technology. They are especially better on ice.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
What year are the 15's from? A4's have 5X110 rims and A5s have 5X112's.

As for the question of snow tires, yes, they're definitely worth it.

MarkS

TDI
1997 Passat TDI Sedan
Go for it!

If the wheels fit than that is a great buy!

We were hit with 4" of wet snow yesterday and I didn't have my Blizzak's on my '97 Passat and I was amazed how poorly the car did in snow. Last year was my first year with the car and I put the tires on prior to our first real snowfall and it was great in the snow.

Do not use the snow tires in warm weather! Wait until it is consistently cold before putting them on...

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
Dedicated snows really do make a difference. I frequently am in northern Indiana where 80+ inches of snow is the norm for the season. The only thing that will limit my Jetta is the amount of snow that I can push with the front end when there is over 8" of snow on the ground.

Car901

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6spd, Black, in and out - traded for '17 Alltrack
MarkS said:
Do not use the snow tires in warm weather! Wait until it is consistently cold before putting them on...
This is true - as a former tire grunt (sales and installer), nothing will wear-out the soft-compound Winter tires like warm roads. For me in the Northeast, mid-November to mid-April...

G

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Thanks for the responses guys. I am not sure what 06 VW he had them on and only spoke very briefly as he clocked out and I clocked in this morning.

I will see him and the tires/wheels on Thursday. And will find out for sure what he had them on.

Thanks again,
Jason

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
new steel wheels for a TDi are 50-70$ EACH so 200$ with tire's is DAMN GOOD IMO

if I was shopping for a winter setup I would jump at that deal

Up here there is no way I would try to go a winter without snows

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
New steel wheels are $36 from the tire rack, and the INCLUDE the VW wheel-cover. The wheel cover alone is over $50!

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Car901 said:
This is true - as a former tire grunt (sales and installer), nothing will wear-out the soft-compound Winter tires like warm roads. For me in the Northeast, mid-November to mid-April...

G
While you are 100% correct. I play by the 'better safe than sorry rule'. My winters are going on next Thursday. We've already have a few snowfalls.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
NB_TDi said:
While you are 100% correct. I play by the 'better safe than sorry rule'. My winters are going on next Thursday. We've already have a few snowfalls.
Don't forget that you're considerably farther north.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
MA to NB?

Not really that far. We tend to see the same weather as you guys. It actually stays warmer here longer due to the bay, but again. Safe.

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
$200 for lightly used blizzaks already on dedicated rims is a great deal.
A small price to pay for extra safety.

Brand new winter tires on steelies would cost me like $600-800CDN installed up here. And that's with all the fall tire sales.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Concat said:
$200 for lightly used blizzaks already on dedicated rims is a great deal.
A small price to pay for extra safety.

Brand new winter tires on steelies would cost me like $600-800CDN installed up here. And that's with all the fall tire sales.
I hear that. Last year it was time to replace my winters. Nearly $800!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
200 for that set up is very good, i recently picked up used rims and new WS60 Blizzaks and once they will all be mounted up I will have spent about $450.

Even if you can only get one year out of the tires it's still a good purchase.

Oh and going for the 15" rims is way better, you will spend less on tires, and they are more narrow so it will be better in the snow, yeah yeah we all know you can't upgrade to bigger brakes, but what good are brakes if your tires don't grip?

Last edited:

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
OK I was able to talk to the guy today. It turns out he used to frequent the board here, not sure what his user name was/is.

They did come off his 06' Jetta, they are 15" and supposed to be in great shape. I wonder if he has wheel covers? He also has a Bentley manual for 05-06 TDI I may get from him also. I could of used that on Sunday! Turns out he sold his Jetta because of cam wear, and the cost to fix it.

I will see the wheels and tires on Thursday still, I didn't realize he was going to be at work this morning, or I would a told him to bring one.

I will let you guys know if I get them. And if I don't, I will see if he wants to post them up in the "for sale" section. Then maybe one of you can get them if I don't.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I wouldn't worry so much about wheel covers. I actually liked the way my '02 Jetta looked with just the black rims of my snows.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
MayorDJQ said:
I wouldn't worry so much about wheel covers. I actually liked the way my '02 Jetta looked with just the black rims of my snows.
Nah, not worried, it just popped into my head as I was typing.

Paul7878

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
I've had the Blizzak WS-50's for 3 different sets now. They're awesome! Not sure how they stack up against the WS-60's though. I'm going with General Altimax Arctics this time around, they're almost 20 bucks cheaper per tire than the Blizzak WS-60's and consumer reports rated them number 2!

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
NB_TDi said:
Also depends on what your "summer" tire is.

Last year with my Kumho SPTs, I stuck the snows on the first time I was home after snow. Had to take the SPTs out in the snow once, NEVER AGAIN!

This year, with all-seasons, I feel like I can wait it out a little longer.

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
Tripletreds are almost all-season :p

But yeah, there's just no compound that is able to preform well in temperature swings of -30C to +30C. It's just not an issue of tread design, but rather, of material.

Front wheel drive does help... I mean, I've driven a little ford ranger with all-seasons in the dead of an Alberta winter. That didn't end well.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Concat said:
I mean, I've driven a little ford ranger with all-seasons in the dead of an Alberta winter. That didn't end well.[/quote]

LOL, thats funny. I'm not sure what model Blizzaks they are or size for that matter other than 15".

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Well I have just seen the wheels and tires. They look like new, lots of tread, I would venture to say less than 5k miles on them. Also comes with all lug bolts. I think I'm going to jump on the deal, also has the VJ06 manual I am after, would like the newest version but not necessary for my application.

Here's the specs on the tires: Blizzak Ws60 195/65-R15.