Big tires: 205/70R14, or larger wheels?

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4V Wagon
Has anyone run 205/70R14 tires?

I'm fond of riding taller now. I've had 195/70R14 tires on my car for the last year or two and I'm super pleased. Speedo seems close to dead on, maybe a little fast. Handles nice, looks good too. And the extra height lowers freeway RPMs and reduces drag by more completely filling the wheel wells.

It looks like I have enough room to go even taller. My OEM struts have another inch of clearance. There doesn't appear to be much chance of fender contact, either, but I'll get this on the rack again and check through the entire turning range.

My tires are about done and I am looking at replacing them with LRR (low rolling resistance) tires, but finding there aren't many options on a 14" rim. To go taller I'll need to also go a bit wider.

I found a Sumitomo HTR T4 205/70R14 that isn't rated LRR but tested well for very low rolling resistance.

If ya'll don't think that would fit, I'd run the Michelin Defenders 195/70R14 which are LRR rated, or the Dunlop Graspic DS-3 in the same size (snow tires, but I might be moved to NYC this winter). Bridgestone B381 185/70R14 are also LRR but I don't want to downsize.

The other option is larger rims/wheels, but I am having trouble finding some that are local and fairly cheap. My local Craigslist has some Mini Cooper rims which are 4x100 6" but they seem to have a larger offset (38 VW vs 45 Mini) and I don't know how that works. There's a ton more tire options if I move to 15" or 16".

I'd be happy to get solid rims, too, to further reduce wind drag, but I find zero options for that. The closest I see are some of the stock VW rims which are sorta closer to solid than not. Rims with lots of gap add drag and I am aiming for better aerodynamics.

Any advice or experiences appreciated! Thanks.

Technician!

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
I'm running Sumi 185/75-14 tires. The speedo is exactly on now. I went with the "bigger" diameter tires to get the correction. Love the tires...25K miles on 'em and they still look new!
Back to your question. If they fit I would go with them. A lot of tire manufacturers have actual size charts on their web sites which I found valuable. Same "size" tires vary in actual dimensions from one manufacturer to another. Again..if speedo accuracy isn't a concern, and they have adequate clearance when turned, jounced, etc....go with it!! Let us know your decision.

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
I just found a set of 16" wheels from a 2001 Jetta, might upgrade for $175. Then I could go taller without going wider.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
I just found a set of 16" wheels from a 2001 Jetta, might upgrade for $175. Then I could go taller without going wider.
So you must have a 5 lug swap then if you're going to be able to run A4 Jetta wheels,

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Speedo seems close to dead on, maybe a little fast.
I'm running Sumi 185/75-14 tires. The speedo is exactly on now. I went with the "bigger" diameter tires to get the correction.
You both realize that your odometers are now off by the same amount that your speedo was with stock diameter tires, right?

TronDD

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
The guy selling them that took the time to gather all the fitment information apparently never noticed either. At least he's helping the buyer to not make a big mistake.

Tim.

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
You both realize that your odometers are now off by the same amount that your speedo was with stock diameter tires, right?
Doesn't bug me much, but on the other hand it means all my mpg calcs have been off by a few %. My mpg is so crappy though that this can't be a major reason why; I'm under 40 mpg every fillup, but that topic is on another thread.

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think pulling around a few more pounds of tire is going to make a big diff on mpg. I could stop drinking frappacinos and make up the difference.

The extra height might change the leverage when accelerating, but most of my miles are highway miles where lower rpm and better aero is going to be more important.

And bigger, heavier tires isn't going to help that.

Tim.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Interesting.... just so I understand this correctly, with stock sized tires the speedo is inaccurate, but the odometer clocks accurately?

Inversely, if a larger tire is used and the speedo is now accurate, the odometer is now inaccurate?

-Todd

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I doubt either one is really accurate. The odo will be consistent, as it is a digital-only meter. The speedo (and tach) is digital-to-analog, and from my observation, has different accuracy at different speeds.

If you're OCD about it, as many of us are, you can verify the odo against a GPS, Google Maps, or even highway road markers (not simple mile markers, but the ones with surveyed numbers, sometimes to .01 mile accuracy). Of course, take the "accuracy" of mile markers with a grain of salt, since they were posted by bored highway workers who might not speak English at the dinner table.

Once you get the odo nailed down, you can figure out the speedo, using the odo and a stopwatch, at a constant speed.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
195/65/15 is the better size IMO...
Less expensive tires, more replacements n more threadwear than larger rim sizes, cost per mile calculations!
Mine r Konig rims 4 x 100 w/Discount tires(snow, rain etc...)

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
I just went OCD and clocked my B4V against the GPS.

With 195/70R14 tires with about 20% tread left I pegged the cruise control at 65 mph and drove ten miles measured on the odometer. The GPS showed my average speed to be 67.5 mpg, so my speedo was about 4% too slow. The GPS showed I traveled 10.8 miles, so the ODO was 8% fast.

That means if I got the odo spot-on the speedo would be too fast by 4%. Sounds about right.

Last edited:

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
195/65/15 is the better size IMO...
Less expensive tires, more replacements n more threadwear than larger rim sizes, cost per mile calculations!
Mine r Konig rims 4 x 100 w/Discount tires(snow, rain etc...)
I'd love to run 15" or even 16" tires but I have 14" rims. I'm looking for affordable rims but they are rare to find in 4x100 with the right offset and center bore. So that means $$ rims plus $ adaptor/spacers. I'd probably be dropping $300-400 to get bigger rims.

apaustin

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat wagon, 96 B4V, 95 glx v6/96 tdi conversion, 97 b4v
My '96 b4v came with 195/60-14's. I upgraded to 15" rims with 205/65-15's which didn't offer enough clearance and ultimately were ruined from the mis-fit. I now have 205/60-15 and they fit just fine and I'm very pleased. Expensive lesson though.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
It is possible to correct both odo and speedo errors when using larger tires, but at a cost; about $80.

Aria

TDI
2015 Golf
Hi, anyone could advise if 215/55/16 will fit on Jatta 09 TDI? I got a very good deal for 4 almost new and I'm was stupid enough to buy it before thinking if it will fit, my original tire size is 205/55/16

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
Has anyone run 205/70R14 tires?

I'm running 205/75-14 on old VW Tear Drops. I would not recommend going out and buying that size. I just happened to have a full set lying around.

It runs fine and I'm good with it. It sits pretty high. But it rubs a wee bit when I hit a good dip or bump at speed.

Spiked1Z

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
running 205/45/17's here, speedo is almost spot on with the GPS, just a hair fast... for the odometer I've calculated an error of .049.. IE I need to add 4.9 miles for every 100 I travel..