An update!

ClimbRunOm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
Crayola (my sister's name for my car) lives!
I did a couple short trips over a couple days to feel it out...

The maiden voyage was a little rough, I couldn't get the engine to rev over 2k rpm even flooring it... I had the (possibly) dumb idea to downshift on a hill to force the rpms up, the engine sputtered a bit but I could suddenly rev up to 2.5k. I got back up to 4th gear and down shifted to 2nd once more and when the rpms jumped, the car coughed and sounded much better, giving me the rest of the RPM range (I only tested up to ~4.2k just before redline)...

On the second shakedown, I took it out on the highway, and noted it felt a little anemic, like the turbo wasn't giving me the correct boost... When I got back I stuck a vacuum tester on the turbo actuator and found it wasn't moving smoothly. I sprayed some wd-40 with silicone lube on the actuator arm and pumped it a couple times, and it loosened up about 90%, it's not buttery smooth, but it doesn't get hung up on the grime/buildup anymore.

At times the car still feels a little anemic, and there is a mechanical whir that I'm not familiar with (I've assumed it's the freshly cleaned turbo?)... I'll get a video soon. Other than that, the car drives well around town and on the highway.

I got my injection timing dialed in exactly dead on with VCDS after being able to get the engine properly warmed up. I also replaced my fuel return line with a clear tube so I could check it for issues, since last week when I did the injector return test to see if my injectors were clogged, I had nothing coming out of any of the injector return lines at any rev... This seems to have solved itself though, as now I can see a small amount of fuel trickling through the line occasionally.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for shakedown tests for a new engine?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Get you a can of liquimoly diesel purge and set up a closed loop system and run a can through the pump and injectors. I'd bet that would do wonders for it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk